PDA

View Full Version : Stupid question regarding an accurate determination of pack capability

Bird Dawg
02-27-2015, 11:50
I am furiously working to "tweak" my pack weight as I prepare to step off NOBO on March 22nd. I completed a spreadsheet of the clothing and equipment I want to carry. The pack I am using is a Granite Gear Crown VC 60. According the research I've done, the "capacity" of this particular pack is about 35 pounds - give or take a little. When the manufacturer suggests a max weight of 35 pounds, are they including the weight of the actual pack in that total?...or merely the gear going inside of it?

Walkintom
02-27-2015, 12:15
Numbers like weight limits are pretty soft.

It doesn't matter which way the manufacturer suggests - it's not a magical number that going below will cure all woes and going above will cause the end of civilization.

If you're that close to maxing it out and it bothers you then get a pack that carries more or carry less weight.

Treat your pack well and it will probably go above and beyond that 35 limit. Jam hard objects in willy-nilly and swing it around by the straps with a load in it and keeping it down to 30 won't be much help.

Malto
02-27-2015, 12:17
It's not that exact. Whether or not it includes the weight of the pack doesn't matter. It is more of a gross estimation, frameless below 25 etc. even those guidelines are not rules as people will take frameless for example above the suggested load rating. It just limits the comfort and can stress some stitching.

The key is "does the pack feel comfortable with the weight you are carrying." If yes go. If no change the pack or drop weight.

fastfoxengineering
02-27-2015, 13:14
The crown vc has a very minimal frame sheet. Personally, I don't think I'd find it very comfortable with a 35lb load. Some people might. And just because the manufacturer says its good to 35lbs doesn't mean it will be for you.

If the weight of the pack is really putting you at the 35lb mark, you should get a pack with a beefier suspension or leave some stuff at home.

May I ask does that 35lbs of gear include food, water, and fuel?

If your using a crown vc, your baseweight should really be at or below 12lbs for a thru hike on the AT

Bird Dawg
02-27-2015, 22:46
Thanks, everyone. Having done more research, I've realized that perhaps I should have settled on my gear first - and THEN picked the backpack to handle it. As it stands right now, my base weight is running around 20 pounds - with "high side" estimations of the major consumables (5 days of food, 2 liters of water, 16 oz of fuel) pushing me to a total of 35 or so, excluding the weight of the actual pack. And, that doesn't include about 3 pounds of photography equipment. I saved $50 bucks purchasing the new Granite Gear pack through eBay - but now wish I'd spent the money and bought it at REI so I could return it. Lesson learned. Sigh..... So, it's back to the drawing board to weed through the gear again or driving 90 miles to try on something like an Osprey.

bemental
02-27-2015, 23:21
Thanks, everyone. Having done more research, I've realized that perhaps I should have settled on my gear first - and THEN picked the backpack to handle it. As it stands right now, my base weight is running around 20 pounds - with "high side" estimations of the major consumables (5 days of food, 2 liters of water, 16 oz of fuel) pushing me to a total of 35 or so, excluding the weight of the actual pack. And, that doesn't include about 3 pounds of photography equipment. I saved $50 bucks purchasing the new Granite Gear pack through eBay - but now wish I'd spent the money and bought it at REI so I could return it. Lesson learned. Sigh..... So, it's back to the drawing board to weed through the gear again or driving 90 miles to try on something like an Osprey.

Toss it back up, it'll sell.

Don't get discouraged, I just got my pack for my thru in March a few days ago as well.

bigcranky
02-28-2015, 00:27
With your base weight, camera gear, and consumables you'll be pushing 40 pounds starting out (I'm always a couple of pounds heavier than my "spreadsheet weight" when I finally load everything.) Now, plenty of folks have thru-hiked with 40 pounds, however, if it were me I would want a pack with a beefier suspension to carry it.

Havana
02-28-2015, 10:52
Make the drive, try an Osprey. I've used a Kestrel for years with a pack weight of 30-35 and it worked great. It was only recently that I moved to a UL pack but that's because I moved to UL gear which got my base weight way down. That pack will sell quickly. Someone here might even buy it.

4eyedbuzzard
02-28-2015, 11:32
Given that the difference in weight between a minimally framed pack vs a pack with a more substantial suspension is in the order of one to two pounds at most, I think once you get over a certain weight, suspension comfort takes priority over weight of the pack itself. I'd choose carrying comfort over an extra pound or two anyday, especially if carrying it day in day out.

Bird Dawg
03-01-2015, 19:52
http://www.rei.com/zoom/878452/230Say "Hello" to my little friend......

Wanderingventurer
03-01-2015, 23:02
I suggest that you take a look at the SeekOutside's Paradox Unaweep 3 lbs pack; it is now my absolute favorite pack. http://seekoutside.com/lightweight-backpacks/ It has the capacity and suspension to carry everything you currently are planning to take (plus a lot more if necessary); and if you downsize during your hike,as you probably will, it compresses down wonderfully and handles sub 20 lb loads just as well.