PDA

View Full Version : Thruhike 2016 SOBO

JamesonTisch
02-28-2015, 10:36
Is it unreasonable to start a SOBO hike starting June 1st? Is a SOBO really that much worse than a NOBO?

map man
02-28-2015, 16:50
Here is a link to a page the ATC has created that weighs the pros and cons of when and where to start a thru-hike. Read closely the section about starting SOBO from Katahdin:

http://www.appalachiantrail.org/hiking/thru-section-hiking/when-where-to-start

To summarize what the ATC has to say, the two major difficulties with starting from Katahdin in June or late May are:

1) The spring thaw in Maine leads to wetter, muddier trail and more difficult stream fording.

2) Black flies and mosquitoes are typically at their worst during this time.

Of course every year is different and the difficulties of an early June start are directly related to how much snow Maine had that winter and how much spring rain falls. I've given a lot of thought to trying a SOBO thru-hike once I retire in a few years and I hope to have the luxury of waiting for a year that has seen less snow than average, and then setting out around the Summer Solstice (June 21 most years). I know not everyone has that luxury. And it's true that every day you push back your departure means one more day of potential cold down south at the end of your hike in late autumn or early winter.

Every year TJ aka Teej here at Whiteblaze mentions the dates going back several years upon which Baxter State Park first opens the Hunt Trail to the top of Katahdin. That date varies year to year and if memory serves there has only been one year out of the last 15 or so when the Hunt Trail was not open by June 1. So it would be unusual, though not unheard of, to have that push back the date of your departure, if June 1 is your preference.

Slo-go'en
02-28-2015, 18:50
June 1st is a common start date for a SOBO, but June can be a God awful month to hike in Maine. It can be wet, cold, muddy and buggy. Black Flies are that their peak and some people don't react well to black fly bites, swelling up something fierce. But eventually most people build up an immunity and their bites don't bother you as much, their just really annoying since they swarm in large numbers. It is usually best to wait until later in June to start or even July, but then that can push you farther into the winter months at the end of the hike in the south.

Going SOBO you hit the hardest sections of the trail pretty much right off. The first 30 miles or so are pretty easy, then no so much until you get to Vermont. If you make it through Vermont it will get real easy for you and then it's just a matter of perseverance and money to finish. Keep in mind that a SOBO has a somewhat higher attrition rate then NOBO. (a smaller percentage of those who start, finish).

4shot
03-01-2015, 11:06
Keep in mind that a SOBO has a somewhat higher attrition rate then NOBO. (a smaller percentage of those who start, finish).

that is interesting. Never heard that. Why do you suppose that to be true? Harder start (hiker cannot imagine trail getting easier so quits in upper NE)? Or perhaps less of a social support network due to fewer hikers heading south? Any other theories or ideas?

StubbleJumper
03-01-2015, 11:24
that is interesting. Never heard that. Why do you suppose that to be true? Harder start (hiker cannot imagine trail getting easier so quits in upper NE)? Or perhaps less of a social support network due to fewer hikers heading south? Any other theories or ideas?

Well, those first 500 miles SOBO are a doozy.... and if people thought that they were just out for the proverbial walk in the park, New England has a way of sending a wake-up call. I have found that the steep, rough, rocky and rooty terrain in New England (and the Adirondacks in New York) is a much easier proposition if you already have 500 miles or so under your belt from hiking in less rugged terrain.

rickb
03-01-2015, 11:26
From the ATC website:

Northbound

Springer Mountain, Ga.

Harpers Ferry, W.Va. (1,020 miles)

Katahdin, Maine (2,185 miles)

Completion rate:

29%

28%

30%

27%

26%

26%

Northbound thru-hikers walk from Springer Mountain to Katahdin in one more-or-less continuous journey. They represent more than 65 percent of reported 2,000-milers.

Southbounders

Katahdin, Maine

Kennebec Ferry, Maine (152 miles)
n/a
n/a
n/a

Harpers Ferry, W.Va. (1,166 miles)

Springer Mountain, Ga. (2,185 miles)

Completion rate:
27%
28%
20%
30%
21%
28%

Southbound thru-hikers walk from Katahdin to Springer Mountain in one more-or-less continuous journey. They represent about 10 percent of total reported 2,000-milers.

Malto
03-01-2015, 11:49
Interesting that SoBo has a greater range of completion rates over the years. I would think the year to,year variation would be greater for NoBo than SoBo. Who would have thunk?

rickb
03-01-2015, 12:16
Interesting that SoBo has a greater range of completion rates over the years. I would think the year to,year variation would be greater for NoBo than SoBo. Who would have thunk?

Some of the variation could be simply because the Southbound sample size is smaller. But who knows?

Slo-go'en
03-01-2015, 14:08
I guess my memory of the numbers wasn't quite accurate, but close.

Looks like 25% never make it to the Kennebec crossing. The 100 mile wilderness must kick some serious butt. I bet most of the other 25% who don't make it half way drop out before they get out of Maine or NH. Then the 25% who drop out between Harpers Ferry and Springer likely run into winter or run out of money.

Nick P
03-01-2015, 21:12
"Then the 25% who drop out between Harpers Ferry and Springer likely run into winter or run out of money."
Yup, and "or" = "and" here, as cold weather means money spent on hotels and hostels. I started June 27, and by early November was facing TN after 3 early snowstorms in VA.
June 1 is a great start date, though I had perfect timing when it came to blackflies, mosquitos, and tics...SOBO is the way to go!
All the best!

JamesonTisch
03-01-2015, 21:44
Hey guys thanks for all the info. It's a lot of help. From what I keep hearing is that it would probably be better to push the start date so now I'm thinking of starting July 1st.

clayzoo
03-01-2015, 22:22
Sup man im thinking about hiking north as well in 2016... start date of course not confirmed but late june early July for me most lilkey

Slo-go'en
03-01-2015, 22:37
Hey guys thanks for all the info. It's a lot of help. From what I keep hearing is that it would probably be better to push the start date so now I'm thinking of starting July 1st.

You might not have to wait that long, watch the weather. Its all about timing, so you have to pay attention and be flexible. Lets see how this spring shapes up. By April we should know how fast it will warm up around here. It could turn really quick. Short, but really intense winters seem to be the new trend. In the mean time, do as much hiking or walking as possible to get ready. You need to be in pretty good shape to start since there isn't much warm up hiking. They start putting obstacles in your way pretty quickly.

JamesonTisch
03-01-2015, 22:47
What exactly would you suggest I be looking for to determine when I should start? I'm not familiar with that area so what dictates the best conditions?

Slo-go'en
03-01-2015, 23:01
What exactly would you suggest I be looking for to determine when I should start? I'm not familiar with that area so what dictates the best conditions?

Just watch the storm tracks and temperatures in Maine during May in particular. If it's a cold wet May, holding off till later in June to allow things to dry out is a good idea. If it's a warm and fairly dry May, starting earlier is okay.

NeoScout
03-11-2015, 12:52
Jumping in as I'm planning a SOBO for June 1 (weather permitting). Training has already started and I'm going ultralite. What I haven't determined yet is weather I hammock or tent. Looking forward to learning much from the hikers here!