PDA

View Full Version : 3 Ridges Hiking in March

Braveheart_SOBO13
02-28-2015, 14:25
Does anyone know what the hiking conditions are for Three Ridges in early March? Is there a lot of snow? Im looking to do a day hike and end the day at Devil's Backbone Brew.

Thanks!

Pastor Bryon
02-28-2015, 15:06
We did get a considerable amount of snow here - 4-6 inches still on the ground in some places here today. There are two days next week that are supposed to reach 50 and bring rain, which should wash most of the remaining snow away. Trailwise, I haven't been on, but I would surmise that your bigger issue will be mud than snow. Shady spots might still have some pockets of snow, but the mush/mud would be more prevalent. The south end of your hike will have gotten more snow than the north end most likely. Hope that helps!

earlyriser26
02-28-2015, 15:30
We had two snow falls this last week, but rain and much warmer weather for Monday through Wed. (It should be close to 70 in Richmond on Wed.) The section of the trail I maintain for the ODATC is only about 15 miles from the three ridges. After Wednesday, I expect there will be little to no snow.

earlyriser26
02-28-2015, 16:14
Also, check the Blue Ridge Parkway website. They close the BRP for any snow or ice, because they don't plow (unlike the Shenny's).

Deer Hunter
02-28-2015, 16:16
We did get a considerable amount of snow here - 4-6 inches still on the ground in some places here today. There are two days next week that are supposed to reach 50 and bring rain, which should wash most of the remaining snow away. Trailwise, I haven't been on, but I would surmise that your bigger issue will be mud than snow. Shady spots might still have some pockets of snow, but the mush/mud would be more prevalent. The south end of your hike will have gotten more snow than the north end most likely. Hope that helps!

Hi neighbor! Surprised to see somebody else from BV on here.