PDA

View Full Version : Who has changed their plans...?

dangerdave
03-01-2015, 10:09
...because of the weather?

My original plans---before choosing a Flip Flop---was to leave this week from Springer Mountain. Looks like I made a good choice, for me.

Anyone else looking at the weather and reconsidering their departure plans? We've still got lots of room around the FFKO beginning of May!

bemental
03-01-2015, 10:16
I still plan on heading down and starting on the 8th of March, we'll see how it goes.

Ruffdude
03-01-2015, 10:29
No change in my planned departure date but I have tweeked a couple clothing options to "feel" better prepared for whatever Mother Nature has on the agenda.

SCsurf98
03-01-2015, 10:31
I'll be seeing you on the trail! Also leaving March 8th.

brancher
03-01-2015, 11:26
I still don't know...... I think I'm gonna head down to eht kickoff this weekend and look for some signs - then decide.

Pajj
03-01-2015, 11:58
I had planned on starting today but gonna let this weeks rain pass and wash away some snow. High temps this week will also help with melting some. I'll be starting on March 7 now

Frank_the_cat
03-01-2015, 12:21
My plans have changed half a dozen times over, but I'm pretty happy I decided on my start date now that I'm seeing the weather.

At first I was planning a super early February NOBO hike, then had to switch to a SOBO hike planning on leaving in early July. THEN, my husband and I figured out how I could go NOBO again, if I started mid April, so that's the plan now. I have NEVER been more happy about changing plans. I'm stubborn, I would have left in February, but I don't know how long I'd have stayed on trail.

Poedog
03-01-2015, 13:08
My plans have changed half a dozen times over, but I'm pretty happy I decided on my start date now that I'm seeing the weather.

At first I was planning a super early February NOBO hike, then had to switch to a SOBO hike planning on leaving in early July. THEN, my husband and I figured out how I could go NOBO again, if I started mid April, so that's the plan now. I have NEVER been more happy about changing plans. I'm stubborn, I would have left in February, but I don't know how long I'd have stayed on trail.

SOBO, all the way

bemental
03-01-2015, 14:00
I'll be seeing you on the trail! Also leaving March 8th.

Sounds good, look for a stark white pack and a service dog and you'll know you've found me.

Sprout78
03-01-2015, 14:47
I have changed my start date, but not because of the weather. I had to work an extra two weeks to have a job to come back to. I was starting on Feb. 23rd, and now it will be closer to the middle of March. I can't say I'm too upset about the change as time goes on/eying the weather reports.

hazmat
03-01-2015, 15:25
Was leaving after the ATKO but decided to move that back to the 17th of March (St Patricks's Day), sticking with that date and hoping that spring arrives in northern Georgia soon. No sign of spring here in NH. Those that are SOBOing may have to deal with some nasty conditions due to the current snowpack here in the north country.

Note: Met thru-hiker on the trail last year by the name of "Steamer" invited me to a St Patricks day party on springer. Hope it happens.

Regards,
Hazmat

03-01-2015, 20:10
My start date was Fri, feb 27 but I jumped it up to march ~~14-15-16 Even next week they are calling for 10 degrees round here. Who could figure. Am I a wimp, absolutely but with all my fingers and toes!! Perhaps you have read one the journals where the guy went to the ER for a frost bite on big toe. Tennis shoes in 6 inches of snow and very low temps is not a good combination.

MrGonzalo
03-02-2015, 00:05
Still kicking off on the 3rd. Weather looks promising. Almost regret bringing my spikes & sealskinz so early. We'll see how everything looks before I start sending stuff out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CarlZ993
03-02-2015, 00:48
If you start before April, I'd bring Microspikes. Things can change pretty drastically in the mountains. Especially in the Smokies. Maybe ditch them in Hot Springs or Ervin. Be safe & have a good hike.

Old Hiker
03-03-2015, 16:11
I realize weather changes rapidly, but for the last 3 days, I’ve been going to Sophia Knows web site to look at weather data. So far, there’s just rain. You don’t see the “S” word until about mile 487.
Good luck - see you on the Trail in 2016.