PDA

View Full Version : Trail Magic

ericmack
03-01-2015, 11:22
Planning to give some trail magic at Clingman's Dome in April when those hikers who slogged thru the snow and rain reach it. Would like to catch a good number of folks and help them on their way.

When in April and exactly were at Clingman's Dome is the best place to offer some tasty trail magic?

Eric- junk pile

Sirsnappy09
03-01-2015, 13:32
Newfound gap is easier. You can park right at the crossing. Of course, you may not be the only one there doing that. You could do it from the parking lot of the dome and catch thrus if they come down to the bathroom. When I went through that section I did not go down though. Another alternative would be at mt Collins shelter. it's a dumpy shelter off trail but pretty easy to access from the road. I guess it depends on your set up.

Slo-go'en
03-01-2015, 13:46
Since you'd be in the National Park, better check on regulations and if you need a permit to do that.

It takes most hikers 2-3 weeks to get to the Smokies from Springer, so middle of April would catch the early April/late March starters. Where you do it depends on what you want to serve. If you just handing out snacks and drinks the Clingmans parking lot would work, just put a sign up at the trail just before it gets to the look out tower. If you want to do a cook out, the Newfound gap lot would be better. Of course, it also depends on what the park service says.

MuddyWaters
03-02-2015, 04:56
You will need a permit.
Honestly, trail magic doesnt belong in a national park. Take it somewhere else. Unless you are going to feed ALL park visitors.

ericmack
03-02-2015, 06:47
A good and valid point made by all. I can take it elsewhere- just being lazy since I live near the park. I will figure it out- maybe on the north side of the part,
Thanks so much for our ideas.
Eric

Sirsnappy09
03-02-2015, 07:33
North of the park before you hit the river at that road crossing. It's a small road I can't remember the name. That may be a good place.

kayak karl
03-02-2015, 08:35
North of the park before you hit the river at that road crossing. It's a small road I can't remember the name. That may be a good place. it's the road out of Cosby. a passer-by gave me a soda there. they saw me walking in snow with poles and thought i lost my ski's :D sweet old couple.

Starchild
03-02-2015, 09:59
As said N of the park would be better, I got some just south of the interstate crossing and again one unattended stash right north if it up the staircase. A great place and a uplift to get to Standing Bear Hostel. Do not leave unattended caches inside the park itself, it upsets many who work there and causes them problems with wildlife.

If you want to help at Dome or New Found Gap, then I would suggest offering a ride to G-burg rather then the conventional trail magic. As said food trail magic stations really don't belong here, this is one of the most restrictive places along the trail and thus somewhat more of a wilderness experience and it is part of the AT's character to have such variety.

You can also do a day hike in the park and give out magic on you hike to thru's as a alternative to a fixed TM station. This may be acceptable for park use as you are really just hiking and offering as you go, IDK

Also I don't know why anyone would say you would be obligated to feed all park visitors, you certainly can offer to who ever you please.

Sirsnappy09
03-02-2015, 10:49
I think the ride idea from the gap to gburg is great. I received some TM from Wildcat at newfound gap one year. He had a pretty big set up and nothing was said to him as far as I know.

RED-DOG
03-02-2015, 11:09
i would think that Fontana Dam would be a better place for Trail Magic right at the shelter you will catch everybody before they head into the Park theirs nothing like tril magic before you head into the park and the middle to the end of april would be the best time.

Sly
03-02-2015, 11:18
On Clingman's Dome Bypass Road shortly before Clingman's Dome where the road comes very close to the AT would make a good spot. It's pretty secluded without the tourists.

ericmack
03-03-2015, 07:02
Thanks so much- I like the north of GSM better and will plan for that. Like the idea of feeding hungry hikers! Plus getting advice for our hike in 2016. Thanks for your suggestions.
Eric....junkpile

msumax1985
03-03-2015, 14:53
There's a couple that do trail magic out of a white pickup in rememberance of their son at Newfound Gap last few years, at least. Sandwichs and cans of pop/soda. Not sure if they had/needed a permit. They just parked, dropped the tailgate, and hikers lined up.

Eric: north of the park would be most appreciated, as many, like me, didnt stop in Gatlinburg. So it was 5 days away from "real" food. Just search for a spot by the bridge that crosses the river--maybe just south of the bridge where the trail comes out of the woods. That would be easy to access by vehicle, also, due to Interstate exit being right there.

Mags
03-03-2015, 16:10
re: permits for trail magic

I suspect with more people hiking the long trails, hiker aid stations will be on the radar more and more for government officials. On the PCT, and even the CDT (http://mailman.backcountry.net/pipermail/cdt-l/2014-December/007998.html), people have been getting fined and/or nastygrams about removing caches and similar. Maybe because the trail goes through more of patchwork quilt on the AT (in terms of lands) it is not on the radar as much. Yet.

The advice of setting up shop outside of a national park area is probably a good one for various reasons. Not the least of which is that govt agencies know more about these aid stations and starting to put a kibosh on them.

Not debating the merits of these acts, just cautioning people to use some prudence otherwise they may get fined as well.

shelb
03-05-2015, 21:16
That is very generous of you!

evyck da fleet
03-06-2015, 11:46
I would avoid trail magic at popular spots unless you want to feed day hikers as well. In 2012, I got trail magic at the road at the end of the north part of the park. A former thru hiker and his family was having a hiker feed. It was much appreciated being half way between Gatlinburg and Hot Springs.

Hiker8261
03-06-2015, 23:01
If you are within an hour or so of the trail, at the last minute, pick a crappy/hot day and offer something then.
Or if you are day hiking to get in shape, walk southbound, pack some snickers and dole them out as you go.

chris

ericmack
03-07-2015, 08:33
All great suggestions. Sounds like we will do two things. As we hike for our 2016 build-up and do trail maintenance on AT- will have nice bunch of snickers ready. Crosby road - north of GSM - sounds perfect for a traditional tailgate feeding fest. Only hikers there will be thru. Excellent suggestions- thanks so much

Lone Wolf
03-07-2015, 08:47
"Be hospitable to all. While many long-distance hikers will likely appreciate trail magic, be sure to make all trail
users and volunteers feel welcome" this from the ATC website. none of this "thru-hiker only" crap

Starchild
03-07-2015, 10:36
Making day hikers feel welcome does not equate to needing to offer them food. Explaining to them why you are doing what you are and say its a wonderful thing for these thru and LD hikers could also serve this purpose. Again how you do TM is up to you. HYOH and TMYOTM

Lone Wolf
03-07-2015, 14:26
Making day hikers feel welcome does not equate to needing to offer them food. Explaining to them why you are doing what you are and say its a wonderful thing for these thru and LD hikers could also serve this purpose. Again how you do TM is up to you. HYOH and TMYOTM

this is why i'm not part of any "trail community". to single out and discriminate against walkers in the woods is disgusting and elitist. feed one. feed 'em all equally

Pedaling Fool
03-07-2015, 15:45
Explaining to them why you are doing what you are and say its a wonderful thing for these thru and LD hikers could also serve this purpose. Again how you do TM is up to you. HYOH and TMYOTM
You make hiker feeds sound as if it's something special, almost a spiritual event:rolleyes:

Please explain, what else does it amount to? It's just a way for some people to socialize, period. There ain't nothing special to it. Furthermore, speaking as a multi-LD hiker, to me it lessens the experience of hiking long distances.

MuddyWaters
03-07-2015, 15:48
Its not a wonderful thing, its not even needed.

Want to do hikers a favor, go leave water cache in dry stretch on the PCT or CDT. Not hot dogs and cokes, or beer, in a parking lot in Ga.

Its not about the hikers at all, its about the people doing it wanting to feel somehow connected to the trail scene, this is the way they choose. Maybe trail maintenance is too much like ...work??

Slo-go'en
03-07-2015, 18:15
If someone wants to give me free food, I'm happy to eat it.

Starchild
03-07-2015, 20:30
this is why i'm not part of any "trail community". to single out and discriminate against walkers in the woods is disgusting and elitist. feed one. feed 'em all equally

And the following post.

If I make a donation do not I get to decide if it is a worthy cause? Is it not my choice? Yes helping a thru hiker is not generally recognized by the IRS, but that does not and ever can not dilute the process of helping those achieve a life goal. And in supporting such efforts, showing the goodness of giving to those who very well have the drive to complete a thru, have the potential to pay great dividends to humanity in demonstrating the kindness that we are capable of.

In that is is substantially different then someone just on a vacation taking a few days backpack. And relating why you are supporting thru hikers to the day hikers may inspire some of the vacationers to throw caution to the wind, attempt a thru and perhaps change their life forever. At the very least may make them feel welcome and maybe have them provide their own trail magic.

I also dislike the guilt trip that is placed on the person who wishes to help the thru's expresses here. It is against the HYOH motto. A person should be encouraged to follow their heart, what they know is right. If they want to feed everyone they should, but not guilt others into their viewpoint.

rickb
03-07-2015, 23:00
I can't really buy into the notion that any of this "helps" hikers "achieve a life goal".

Jake2c
03-07-2015, 23:39
How about just thanking someone trying to be nice. If it is something you don't want to partake in then don't. If someone is offering a gift, seems pretty low to tell them their gift doesn't mean anything. Personally, I might grab a water but that is about it. The fact that they take the time and money to offer anything to compete strangers, even if I don't use it, helps prove there are still some pretty nice people out there.

Starchild
03-08-2015, 06:55
I can't really buy into the notion that any of this "helps" hikers "achieve a life goal".

Well that's why I said TMYOTM. If that is how you feel, that's fine and if you do TM do it your way :) I don't like the guilt trip placed on others, they should also get to decide for themselves.

rickb
03-08-2015, 07:49
Well that's why I said TMYOTM. If that is how you feel, that's fine and if you do TM do it your way :) I don't like the guilt trip placed on others, they should also get to decide for themselves.

i understand that perspective, to a point. A couple things come immediately to mind:

1. It is never acceptable for someone to bring Trail Magic in the hopes of or with the goal to meeting a specific individual they know only from Trail Journals, or WB.

2. No feeds in the backcountry.

3. No moving up the trail to give TM out repeatedly to the same group of people

4. No significant amounts of alcohol or weed.

Probably a bunch of others that people already consider.

Lone Wolf
03-08-2015, 07:55
And the following post.

If I make a donation do not I get to decide if it is a worthy cause? Is it not my choice? Yes helping a thru hiker is not generally recognized by the IRS, but that does not and ever can not dilute the process of helping those achieve a life goal. And in supporting such efforts, showing the goodness of giving to those who very well have the drive to complete a thru, have the potential to pay great dividends to humanity in demonstrating the kindness that we are capable of.

In that is is substantially different then someone just on a vacation taking a few days backpack. And relating why you are supporting thru hikers to the day hikers may inspire some of the vacationers to throw caution to the wind, attempt a thru and perhaps change their life forever. At the very least may make them feel welcome and maybe have them provide their own trail magic.

I also dislike the guilt trip that is placed on the person who wishes to help the thru's expresses here. It is against the HYOH motto. A person should be encouraged to follow their heart, what they know is right. If they want to feed everyone they should, but not guilt others into their viewpoint.

you don't get it

kayak karl
03-08-2015, 08:03
a WB member met me at a rode crossing with a Little Debbie and soft drink. we sat in his car and talked. it was pouring rain. i thought this was trail magic. another member let me water and crackes (all water sources were frozen) i though this was trail magic. in Damascus a member drug me out of the libaray and to his house for dinner. for me these events were trail magic because i expected none of it from these friends.
i don't think hiker feeds are trail magic though. they seem more like events. i don't care what you do, but i for one wouldn't stop.

ericmack
03-08-2015, 08:11
"Be hospitable to all. While many long-distance hikers will likely appreciate trail magic, be sure to make all trail
users and volunteers feel welcome" this from the ATC website. none of this "thru-hiker only" crap

We offer what we have to those who need it. As mainly day hiker- we would never be rude. Explaining what we are doing and offering regardless is more our style. But this is a good reminder.

ericmack
03-08-2015, 08:18
Really- not looking for spiritual enlightenment. We help with free medical clinics and are part of a maintenance hiking club for that. Just want to be nice and hear stories...don't care who they are in their travels on the trail- day...section...thru. Honest. Meant to be a good thing- not an argumentative thing. I appreciate all the comments very much and learn from WB every time I get on this forum. Thanks so much for your kindness and wisdom.
Eric

Lone Wolf
03-08-2015, 08:25
Really- not looking for spiritual enlightenment. We help with free medical clinics and are part of a maintenance hiking club for that. Just want to be nice and hear stories...don't care who they are in their travels on the trail- day...section...thru. Honest. Meant to be a good thing- not an argumentative thing. I appreciate all the comments very much and learn from WB every time I get on this forum. Thanks so much for your kindness and wisdom.
Eric

thank you for that

Teacher & Snacktime
03-09-2015, 00:08
On a chilly wet day last April Snacktime and I made the trek from Neel Gap to Blood Mtn & back. It took us about 5hrs at our usual 1mph pace, and we were tired and cranky and outrageously hungry when we got back to Mtns. Crossing. Choosing to take a few photos and check in with some folk we'd met in the hostel before the hike (who were blatantly doubtful of our success), we discovered that a local group was hosting a feed in the hostel. We were invited to join in the "feast", but I explained that we were only dayhikers and not even staying at the hostel (though I did offer to pay for a meal for the drooling child). We were welcomed with open arms and empty plates, and I don't think I ever have or ever will enjoy a meal quite as much as that one. Yes, it was an "event" I suppose, but in the moment it was pure magic.

Lone Wolf
03-09-2015, 06:41
but you shouldn't have to feel like you need to say you're "just" or i'm "only" a day hiker/section hiker

full conditions
03-09-2015, 07:03
If you want to create a feed for a bunch of folks who deserve it, set up a table for any bunch of our veterans returning from Afghanistan otherwise what you're doing just feeding a bunch of folks who are already lucky enough to be out on a five month vacation - and, to discriminate between one day, one week, one month, and five month vacations with regard to who gets a sandwich and who doesn't is silly at best and insulting at worst. In my humble opinion, the nearly endless array of hiker feeds between Amicalola and Monson are counterproductive to the welfare of the trail. Every time we do this we send a clear message: we think you are special, entitled, and deserving of any and all support in your Holy Quest north.

Henry Moon
03-09-2015, 19:03
I don't get it. Guy comes here and ask about feeding people and he catches some flack. If someone wants to set up somewhere and feed people he or she should be commended. If you don't want to eat or drink then by all means say "no thanks" and walk your arse on by. I don't live on or near the AT but I enjoy talking to these people that jump on it. We live in a small world people an there's nothing wrong with trying to make it just a little smaller.

JumpMaster Blaster
03-09-2015, 19:06
All great suggestions. Sounds like we will do two things. As we hike for our 2016 build-up and do trail maintenance on AT- will have nice bunch of snickers ready. Crosby road - north of GSM - sounds perfect for a traditional tailgate feeding fest. Only hikers there will be thru. Excellent suggestions- thanks so much

Not true. Not true at all. Will you feed the sectioners and 4-day weekend warriors?

JumpMaster Blaster
03-09-2015, 19:17
If you want to create a feed for a bunch of folks who deserve it, set up a table for any bunch of our veterans returning from Afghanistan otherwise what you're doing just feeding a bunch of folks who are already lucky enough to be out on a five month vacation - and, to discriminate between one day, one week, one month, and five month vacations with regard to who gets a sandwich and who doesn't is silly at best and insulting at worst. In my humble opinion, the nearly endless array of hiker feeds between Amicalola and Monson are counterproductive to the welfare of the trail. Every time we do this we send a clear message: we think you are special, entitled, and deserving of any and all support in your Holy Quest north.

A-MEN BROTHER! I said the same thing just a few days ago. Some of us don't have the opportunity to do even a long section (what with our current ongoing military/career committments). A 24 year old college grad trying to "find" himself by checking out for 5 months, and expecting TM and "perks" on the trail is in no way above a 35, 45, or 65 year old vet taking a few days or week off to reset.

The myth of this "Trail Hierarchy" is feeding itself like an over-aggressive tumor. :mad:

Teacher & Snacktime
03-09-2015, 19:30
but you shouldn't have to feel like you need to say you're "just" or i'm "only" a day hiker/section hiker

While I completely agree with you Wolf, the reality is that the bias exists and most trail-magic-ers or "feed" hosts do differentiate.

Oh, and I'm not criticizing the OP....I applaud the intentions.

FatMan
03-09-2015, 19:39
Heck, around here these "trail angel setups" are so rampant that some hikers must begin to think there will be food at every gap for the next 2000 miles. Saw first setup last weekend at Gooch Gap. There will be a "trail angel setup" somewhere between Cooper Gap and Neels Gap every weekend for the next 8 weeks. There will be at least one weekend with folks setup at Cooper Gap, Gooch Gap, Woody Gap, and Neels Gap all at the same time. It matters little to me as long as the "trail angels" thoroughly clean up their mess. You would be surprised at some of the messes left behind.

All these people setup because they are kind folks and feeding the hikers makes them feel good. And I don't hear hikers complaining so it makes for a nice symbiotic relationship. But I have never ever seen a setup where it was just for Thru hikers only. I have to go with Lone Wolf on this one. A Thru hiker only setup seems a bit elitest to me. But at this point on the trail everyone is just a wannabe Thru hiker anyway with only a couple of days under their belts.

ericmack
03-13-2015, 07:24
Not true. Not true at all. Will you feed the sectioners and 4-day weekend warriors?

We would fed anyone who showed. Why is this so hard to understand? Anyone- they can drive there for all I care. It is for my selfish personal pleasure to see smiles and hear stories.

Lone Wolf
03-13-2015, 07:40
We would fed anyone who showed. Why is this so hard to understand?
because a lot of feeds are for "thru-hikers only"

swisscross
03-13-2015, 09:43
because a lot of feeds are for "thru-hikers only"

The sad part is that they should not be considered thru-hikers until they complete their thru.
With the attrition rate of around 70% how can feed stations deny anyone.

I personally don't care for the idea of the feed stations.
Trail magic is fun in its concept but it has taken on a level of weirdness.

4eyedbuzzard
03-13-2015, 10:02
I don't get it. Guy comes here and ask about feeding people and he catches some flack. If someone wants to set up somewhere and feed people he or she should be commended. If you don't want to eat or drink then by all means say "no thanks" and walk your arse on by. I don't live on or near the AT but I enjoy talking to these people that jump on it. We live in a small world people an there's nothing wrong with trying to make it just a little smaller.I think that many feel that the AT, especially in the south during Springer Fever season, is turning (or has already turned) into more of a travelling party than a hike, and that adding to and encouraging that atmosphere is not in the spirit of what the trail was intended for, which was/is that hiking is to be an escape from the trappings of civilization - "to seek fellowship with the wilderness". So look at the issue from the other side as well. That this party atmosphere with crowds and hiker feeds and such, ruins the wilderness experience for hikers that aren't part of, and don't want to be part of that group.

atmilkman
03-13-2015, 10:07
I'm thinking about putting on my "thru-hiker outfit" and headin' over that way and grabbin' some free chow. :)

ericmack
03-17-2015, 10:47
It literally was intended to just do a nice thing. Based on all of this back and forth- obviously it is not considered that way by many people. Honestly am sorry I even brought it up. Please forget I even started this thread. I will do as I do. Thanks to everyone for their thoughts.
Eric

swisscross
03-17-2015, 12:52
It literally was intended to just do a nice thing. Based on all of this back and forth- obviously it is not considered that way by many people. Honestly am sorry I even brought it up. Please forget I even started this thread. I will do as I do. Thanks to everyone for their thoughts.
Eric

Eric,
Don't feel bad you brought it up. Bunch of us are just curmudgeons.
I love the aspect of "trail magic".
All hikers will look back and recognize when magic really happens to them.
My suggestion would be to think outside of the box.
I am sure you will find a way to give, meet new people and fulfill your wishes of helping the hikers that need and appreciate your efforts.

Teacher & Snacktime
03-17-2015, 13:14
Eric

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php/93611-Trail-Magic-101-How-to-Distribute?highlight=

Join the Club! :) :) :) Read some of the above thread and have a laugh....you're not alone! Don't let the negativity get you down. Do what you want to do, and those who appreciate your efforts will respond accordingly. Ignore the rest!

WingedMonkey
03-17-2015, 22:16
It is for my selfish personal pleasure to see smiles and hear stories.

The easiest way to see smiles and hear stories is to go hiking.

:sun