PDA

View Full Version : help with a new pack

misterfloyd
03-01-2015, 12:04
Hello to all,

I have been contemplating a new pack. I will try to do from Damascus to Buena Vista this summer.

I currently have a osprey atmos 65 that I have used in large sections on the AT and in other portions in the NC mountains. For winter it is great, need the room. Carries well, and very comfortable.

In the summer, I do not have very much, base weight is 15 or less. I need to get out my scale. My only comfort item is a inflatable sleeping pad. Biggest weight is food and water. I'm of the mentality that food is fuel so I bring a lot, and I eat a lot.

I have been looking at packs. I want to reduce the weight on my pack, get it good and compressed, and see if I can get lighter.

ULA circut
Gossamer gear Mariposa
Osprey Exos
Granite gear ac60

I have found that like any pack it carries better when there is less weight. I do not like taking time to hitch to resupply. If the PO office is close by, that is great, if not I keep walking. There are times I will have 5-7 days of food. This adds up.

If you own any of these packs what is your experience with weight? 35lbs or so.
I also would like to ditch my bladder and have water pockets that actually work. I have tried with my Atmos and have been unsuccessful.

I would love to hear your thoughts regarding this and perhaps other packs that I have not considered.

Thanks,
Floyd

ChrisJackson
03-01-2015, 12:17
Hi Floyd, I can't comment on this pack yet as I've just ordered it (arrives tomorrow)...the 50L version weighs in at 2 lbs 4 oz. The price is great. Reviews are good. Just wanted to offer an alternative. Good luck!

http://www.rei.com/product/863031/rei-flash-45-pack-special-buy

10-K
03-01-2015, 13:17
I'd personally chose the Circuit over pretty much any pack in that size range, including a cuben zpacks pack but that's just me. The level of service ULA provides and the outright durability of the product on a dollar-to-dollar basis makes in an easy decision.

misterfloyd
03-01-2015, 13:27
Thanks guys,

10-k I have been referred back to this pack many times. I need to load up my stuff and take a ride to Asheville where there is an outfitter that has one there.

BTW, how was you hike in Nov on the MST? Many questions to ask you regarding this as well.

Floyd

Sirsnappy09
03-01-2015, 13:34
The ups is great. Th flash 45 is good for the money too.

swjohnsey
03-01-2015, 13:49
Good with something made in the USA, ULA or Gossamer Gear.

jawnzee
03-01-2015, 19:55
Good with something made in the USA, ULA or Gossamer Gear.
Gossamer Gear is no longer made in the USA

ULA or MLD get my vote. ULA if you want framed, MLD if you can go frameless.

bigcranky
03-01-2015, 21:55
I like my Circuit, but for summer hiking I'm ready to buy an Ohm 2.0. The Circuit is just too large for a warm season load for me.

trbjr
03-01-2015, 23:34
Love my rei flash 45! Had it about a year. I would say the max is 25 to 30 lbs. I have the newer model with easy water bottle assess.

trbjr
03-01-2015, 23:37
oops.. not assess.. it's access.:o

daddytwosticks
03-02-2015, 08:12
If you like the Ospreys, take a hard look at the Exos series. Love my newer model Exos 46. The trampoline back panel makes all the difference in the warmer months. :)

Grampsb
03-02-2015, 11:06
I have the MLD prophet and have used for 3 -4 day backpacking trips including Dolly Sods and think it is a great pack

Odd Man Out
03-02-2015, 11:33
You could check out the Elemental Horizons Kalais. Similar to the ones you mentioned. Very light but rated to 35 lbs. It's a newer company so not as well known, but with lots of good reviews. Excellent customer service. I love mine.

http://www.elementalhorizons.com/kalaispack.aspx

ccartertn
03-02-2015, 13:21
+1 to the Osprey Exos 48. My trips are all 1 or 2 night trips but I have lots of room to spare for extra food for 5 days.

Butch_Lodi
03-02-2015, 22:59
If you can get by with around 50 liters (size large) I would say try the Gossamer Gear Gorilla (not the Mariposa). I bought the Mariposa and returned it, same for the Osprey Exos and Granite Gear Vapor Trail. The Mariposa was too big, something like 67 liters. The Exos is a nice pack but the hip belt is poorly designed in that the padding did not cover my hip crest, even though the belt itself fit my waist fine. The problem with the Vapor Trail is the side and rear pockets are a joke. You can barely fit a gatoraid bottle in the side pockets and a fleece in the rear. Plus it does not have hipbelt pockets, you need to buy them separate and they are small. I also have a ULA Circuit that I really like. However, the Gorilla is the most comfortable of the group know me). Good luck!

Butch_Lodi
03-02-2015, 23:02
Per the comment on made in the USA, I think Gossamer Gear are now made in Mexico.

Wanderingventurer
04-15-2015, 21:38
There has been increasing discussion on here about the SeekOutside Unaweep pack; you might want to take a close look at it. It is an external frame pack that definitely is NOT a traditional external frame pack, which at the same time has most of the characteristics of an internal frame pack. The articulating frame handles off-trail, bushwhacking, scrambling and the like as well or better than any internal frame pack I’ve used before and it is by far and away the most comfortable pack I’ve ever carried. The good news is both that it weighs only 3 pounds and can easily carry over 100 pounds if you ever dream of a reason to do so. See: http://store.seekoutside.com/backpacks-lightweight/ (http://store.seekoutside.com/backpacks-lightweight/)

Donde
04-16-2015, 02:11
I adore my ULA circuit and +1 to 10k's point about their service, and standing behind their product. Make sure you are doing this at a systemic level (i.e. do not go get a uper light frameless pack and then overload it). My Circuit is very comfy up to about 30lbs and ok at about 35lbs past that you need more suspension.