PDA

View Full Version : Smoky Mountains - Polls Gap Trail Removed?

Mike
11-03-2005, 08:14
I am planning a trip this weekend to the park and noticed yesterday that the most recent version of the trailmap the park puts out (dated 2005) no longer has the Polls Gap Trail shown. Has anybody hiked it this year? Is it still marked? Is it still accessible?

Since I am leaving tonight, any quick help would be greatly appreciated. I will probably call the backcountry office today, but wanted to check if anybody here has been on the trail this year.

Thanks all!

(new trailmap pdf available at http://data2.itc.nps.gov/parks/grsm/ppMaps/GRSM%5FTrail%20Map%202005%2Epdf )

sliderule
11-03-2005, 08:35
I am planning a trip this weekend to the park and noticed yesterday that the most recent version of the trailmap the park puts out (dated 2005) no longer has the Polls Gap Trail shown.
FWIW, the Polls Gap Trail was not depicted on the 2003 edition of the park trail map, either.

Mike
11-03-2005, 09:02
Ahh, the most recent one that I have is from 2001. I guess I need to update my maps. That would probably mean it is no longer marked or maintained. Thanks for the info.

hiker33
11-03-2005, 11:18
Polls Gap Trail was officially closed and abandoned by the Park two or three years ago. A friend and I hiked it about four years back and it was pretty bad, a gully 15 feet deep in places after leaving Polls Gap. Higher up on Stiltoes Mountain the greenbriar was 10 feet high and overtaking the trail. It was a rough hike but the campsite at Spruce Mountain made it worthwhile.

Supposedly the trail will be reestablished should the Park obtain enough funding. I don't expect that to happen anytime soon. :( Too bad, because it made a nice loop backpacking route with the Big Fork Ridge, Rough Fork, and Palmer Creek Trails.

Scrunchy
11-03-2005, 12:14
I know someone who hiked it last year, and said it was pretty much continuous blowdown. Almost completely impassable is what they told me.

Chip
11-03-2005, 12:45
1``That trail is closed. If you want a loop hike try going up to Mt. Sterling. Go up Pretty Hollow Gap to Mt. Sterling, camp at the tower, GREAT VIEWS in good weather, take Long Bunk trail back down to Little Cataloochee trail and out to your car at the trail head (Pretty Hollow Gap). Just an idea.;)
Happy Trails,
Chip