PDA

View Full Version : heavy packin

Wokman
03-01-2015, 14:26
What's your pack weigh?

I'm newish. Is 40 to 70 to much?
I'm 6'1 165.
Just trying to see what other packs weigh.

Walkintom
03-01-2015, 14:32
What's your pack weigh?

I'm 6'1 165.

Yes, too heavy. @ 165 lbs, try to get it down to 30.

Obviously go with what you're comfy with, but 30 is very doable even for new unless you just can't part with a bunch of junk.

Slo-go'en
03-01-2015, 14:34
It depends on time of year to some extent, but most like to keep the pack less then 30 pounds with food and water for 4-5 days if you want to go very far. The general rule of thumb is no more then 20% of your body weight. At 165 pounds, that's 33 pounds.

If your not going very far and you don't care how long it takes you to get there, then it doesn't matter much how much your pack weighs, so long as you can lift it.

4eyedbuzzard
03-01-2015, 14:34
Is that 40lbs with 15lbs of food and water? If not, you might want to post a list of your gear here and let the WB vultures pick through it and give you some advice. Otherwise you may wind up doing the same at considerably greater cost at Neel(s) Gap.

AO2134
03-01-2015, 14:39
Wokman,

I am against this UL movement. They all seem to think I need to have the most expensive and lightest gear. I don't. It is only weight. It is not a monster.

That being said, there is no reason to have a pack over 30-35 lbs really for relatively cheap.

When I started hiking, I got a lot of judgment from some in the UL community about my choices of gear. I also got a whole lot of help. So take the good and ignore the bad.

My pack with 3-4 days of food and water is about 28-29 lbs in summer, 30-32 in winter. My weekend pack is usually around 25 lbs.

I have a website where I list my gear. To give you an idea of what relatively cheap and light options there are:

Shelter: Six Moon Designs Skyscape Scout (http://www.sixmoondesigns.com/tents/SkyscapeScout.html) | $125.00 | 38 oz or 2 lbs 6 oz (including stakes).
Sleeping System-Cold Weather Bag: Marmot Trestles 30 Sleeping Bag (http://www.rei.com/product/828305/marmot-trestles-30-sleeping-bag#tab-specs) | $ 99.00 | 59 oz or 3 lbs 11 oz.
Sleeping System- Warm Weather Quilt: Enlightened Equipment (http://www.enlightenedequipment.com/prodigy/) - Prodigy | $160.00 | 19-20 oz
Sleeping System- Sleeping Pad: Therm-a-Rest RidgeRest SOlite Sleeping Pad (http://www.rei.com/product/810386/therm-a-rest-ridgerest-solite-sleeping-pad) | $29.95 | 14 oz
Sleeping System - Air Sleeping Pad: Klymit Insulated Static V Inflatable Sleeping Pad (http://www.amazon.com/Klymit-Insulated-Static-Inflatable-Sleeping/dp/B00D2HXG5E): | $65.99 | 25 oz.
Pack: REI Flash 62 (http://www.rei.com/product/862882/rei-flash-62-pack) | $189.00 | 48 oz.

Big Three Weight - Summer: 143 oz or 8 lbs 15 oz

This includes, REI Flash 62, Klymit Pad, Sleeve, 40 degree Prodigy Quilt, tent and footprint.

Big Three Weight - Winter: 189 oz or 11 lbs 13 oz

This includes REI Flash 62, Klymit Pad, ridgerest, Marmot Trestles 30 sleeping bag, tent and footprint.

I am sure to some this in an unacceptable amount of weight. But luckily for them, they don't have to carry it. Luckily for me, weight doesn't really matter. A fat wallet is more important than a light pack.

That being said, you can hike relatively light and fairly cheaply (depending on how you define cheap). Hope this helps. I have that website with some of the rest of my gear if you want to take a look, PM me.

AO2134
03-01-2015, 14:57
And to be clear, I found a lot of help from the UL hikers. I have them to thank for my tent, pack, and new summer quilt, which collectively will save me over 5 lbs.

I am not against going light. I am against at some of the prices associated with going light. However, when the prices are comparable, and I can save weight I will.

For example, initially I was thinking of getting the REI Yosemite 75 (nearly 5 lbs) for $179.00. Some great soul here recommended the REI Flash 62 (3 lbs) which I bought on sale for $160, usually $189. I saved nearly 2 lbs and $20+. I was very happy and thankful for the suggestion.

I had a REI Passage 2 tent. I paid about $120 if i remember. The tent with footprint weighed 6 lbs. The weight wasn't really a problem, but its bulk was a huge problem. It was impossible to fit in pack with rest of gear. Someone sold me the scout for $75. I saved 3.5 lbs and the tent has been great so far. Not as spacious. Probably not as reliable in heavy downpour, but it has never let me down. I love it. Also, it is small and compact. Fits perfectly within my pack. Very, very happy with it.

So you can get some great recommendations here.

Wokman
03-01-2015, 15:10
I carry everything. Tent sleeping pad sleeping bag food water clothes shovel first aid kit knife trekking poles ....canned food....its heavy but yummy. I do manual labor for a living so I'm physically fit. It's not until the next morning or 3rd morning where im like woo.

Frye
03-01-2015, 15:26
I'm a UL'er. I think AO2134 needs more expensive gear. =D

On the real. My base weight is sub 10. That's everything in the pack minus food and water. (I include soap and all that sort of stuff in my weight)

What's not included is the clothes on my back (Boxers, pants, T-shirt, 1 pair of socks, and shoes. ) and my trekking poles (under 8oz for the pair)

That said. I think someone can be completely content with a much heavier pack. I mainly shoot for such a low base because it's become a hobby. Do I think you should lighten your load? Yeah, it's probably a good idea, but in the end it's whatever makes you happy.

To sum it up, you'd probably be better off with less of a load. AO on the other hand would be much better off with more expensive gear.

Feral Bill
03-01-2015, 15:27
if you are enjoying yourself, why worry? Decades ago, in the wool age, our packs for trips expecting -30 degrees for a week ran to 40 or 50 pounds. I am not an ultralighter and a summer pack for a week with lows near freezing goes maybe 35. The best thing to learn from ultralighters is not reducing the weight of items, bur rather reducing the number of items. You can use ultralight strategies to free up weight for things like fishing and camera gear, or fresh food.

AO2134
03-01-2015, 16:11
I'm a UL'er. I think AO2134 needs more expensive gear. =D

. . . AO on the other hand would be much better off with more expensive gear.

LOL, I'll take donations Frye. Let's start a fund "Help AO go UL."

Nodust
03-01-2015, 16:33
Keep your shelter, sleeping insulation, and pack less than 3# each. You should be able to get everything else less than 10# total without much expense. Add 2# per day for food and 2-6# for water depending on the trail. That makes less than 30# very attainable and not that expensive.

If you like canned food that's ok. Just be happy with a heavier pack.

Walkintom
03-01-2015, 17:01
Here's why I said get it down to 30 pounds:

You're 6'1 and 165 pounds right now. Guess what you'll likely weigh after a couple of months of lugging 50+ pounds all day long?

Reduce what you're carrying unless you are going to find a way to eat 6,000 calories a day. You probably cannot afford to lose too much muscle mass and carrying that high of a percentage of your body weight over a long period of time is a recipe for burning a lot of calories. When your body needs fuel and runs out of what you're eating it burns fat and muscle.

futureatwalker
03-01-2015, 17:25
I carry everything. Tent sleeping pad sleeping bag food water clothes shovel first aid kit knife trekking poles ....canned food....its heavy but yummy. I do manual labor for a living so I'm physically fit. It's not until the next morning or 3rd morning where im like woo.

Well, the less you carry the fresher you'll feel at the end of the day, in my opinion.

A couple of suggestions for weight loss:

Ditch the shovel!

You can usually get by with a quite small penknife. No need for anything more.

Look into alternatives for canned food. You can buy tuna in packets. Try some ramen noodles - cheap and good on the trail.

Think about your water. If you are hiking near a river, and have a filter, you probably don't need more than a liter or so, if the weather is cool. If it's hot, and water isn't a sure thing, then obviously you'll need a few liters.

Best of luck!

Frye
03-01-2015, 17:36
shovel!

I didn't notice the shovel. Yeah, ditch the shovel.

From the sound of it you should start by just ridding yourself of unneeded items. Maybe create a more exact gear list and post it here, that way the kind folks who have done the trail can offer up tidbits on what they brought and what they wished they didn't.

And no matter what it could be worse. At least you don't need more expensive gear like AO2134!

Harrison Bergeron
03-01-2015, 17:45
OP, if it makes you feel any better, I'm currently at 22.5 lbs base weight. So 15 lbs of water and food puts me at 37.5 worst case. I'm carrying a couple of pounds worth of luxuries that I'm not willing to give up, like a cell phone, charger, and backup battery, a functional knife, a small can of bear spray, a foldable bucket, a full-size Neoair, etc. If I was out for a weekend in Texas, I'd also have my Hexalight camp chair (but not the bear spray).

It would be nice to get my full-up weight below 30, but that would mean giving up my 24 oz Skyscape Trekker for a tarp (or $500 for the cuben version) and my comfy Atmos 65 for a $200 shapeless sack with a couple of straps. I'd probably also be drinking unfiltered water and shivering in my bag on a cold night without any camp clothes. Frankly, that kind of backpacking just doesn't appeal to me.

Before I got serious about doing a 28 day section on the AT, my base weight was around 30 for cool weather hiking in Texas (which doesn't compare to what I expect on the AT). It's cost about $800 to drop that last 8 pounds. New tent, new sleeping bag, new wind breaker, new pants, new puffy jacket, new stove, ...

But I can tell you this -- anyone who tells you their pack weight is 10 pounds (and has actually weighed it all) has traded camp comfort for hiking comfort in a way that you probably couldn't fathom. Either that, or the rest of their gear is on their sherpa's back.

Slo-go'en
03-01-2015, 17:50
I believe the OP is more into casual hiking and camping then long distance at this point, so going a bit on the heavy side isn't a real big issue. But as you gain experience and start to do longer trips, up grade your gear with an eye towards making it lighter and more compact. Eventually you'll just have what you need, not what you think you need and have a better overall kit.

scrabbler
03-01-2015, 18:24
Take a look at all items and see if anything is redundant. Spoon and fork? Just take the spoon. Two knives? Just take one. 6 pairs of socks? Take two. Pot, pan, frying pan, lids for all? Just take a pot and lid. Think about what you're taking and if something else can do double duty. Will save you a lot of weight and money.

Wokman
03-01-2015, 18:38
what does your pack weigh empty?

Feral Bill
03-01-2015, 18:42
what does your pack weigh empty? For me, in summer, 3 lbs. I have others that get much less use.

Wokman
03-01-2015, 18:58
I'm using an old army external frame pack. I'm taking that is not a good option

rjjones
03-01-2015, 19:04
When i was young and could not afford to go lite,i didn't need to.Now i'm old and can afford to go lite,thank god,because i need to.What i do is put a value on items.Is this weight worth carrying!

4eyedbuzzard
03-01-2015, 19:18
Well, the less you carry the fresher you'll feel at the end of the day, in my opinion.

A couple of suggestions for weight loss:

Ditch the shovel!

You can usually get by with a quite small penknife. No need for anything more.

Look into alternatives for canned food. You can buy tuna in packets. Try some ramen noodles - cheap and good on the trail.

Think about your water. If you are hiking near a river, and have a filter, you probably don't need more than a liter or so, if the weather is cool. If it's hot, and water isn't a sure thing, then obviously you'll need a few liters.

Best of luck!I thought the same thing regarding the tuna until I actually weighed the empty pouch and can. The difference in weight is only a few grams. Add that the cans can often be found with pull tops, and I always carry a P-38 anyway. Cans are considerably cheaper. There is a difference in the tuna. Some like the dryer pouched tuna, but if you are trying to maximize calories per ounce carried, the oil packed stuff in a can is a better more efficient food. Plus you can make stoves and mouse trapezes out of the empties :D (or stomp them flat and carry them out).

Connie
03-01-2015, 19:28
The oil-packed can is better, also more flavor remains in the tuna.

Maybe it could be repackaged with a vacuum packager: they have 1-quart bags.

Maybe I could do that with alder smoked salmon. I love alder-smoked salmon outdoors.

edit: that green line of text at the bottom of my post is a link to my not recently updated website. The front page has a selected YouTube video you might like.

4eyedbuzzard
03-01-2015, 19:37
The oil-packed can is better, also more flavor remains in the tuna.

Maybe it could be repackaged with a vacuum packager: they have 1-quart bags.

Maybe I could do that with alder smoked salmon. I love alder-smoked salmon outdoors.I doubt it is worth the trouble of repackaging already packaged tuna. The newer cans are extremely thin walled and light. I doubt the heavy plastic vacuum packaging bags are significantly lighter if at all. Once you open a can or pouch, you introduce bacteria, mold spores etc. into the equation. So after repackaging you would have to heat it and hold it in a hot water bath (and know exactly how hot and long) to kill off any pathogens, which would further cook the tuna as well, possibly adversely affecting taste and texture. Just not worth the hassle or possibility of food poisoning IMO.

Hangfire
03-01-2015, 20:45
Tuna is messy and it stinks. I noticed last year that tuna consumption dropped off considerably after Harpers Ferry. Be ready to start eating a lot of summer sausage, it's heavy and it takes up a lot of room, it will work perfect for you!

Connie
03-01-2015, 21:57
Right, it wouldn't work for a long hike. Overnight, repackaged at home.

I was thinking about the cans: garbage.

Slo-go'en
03-01-2015, 22:43
I was thinking about the cans: garbage.

Before there were foil packets, we used cans and carried them out. A few seconds more work as you have to flatten them.

Wokman
03-02-2015, 03:53
Tuna is messy and it stinks. I noticed last year that tuna consumption dropped off considerably after Harpers Ferry. Be ready to start eating a lot of summer sausage, it's heavy and it takes up a lot of room, it will work perfect for you!

Yeah....about that it was in my pack next to the 20in pepperoni. I wish i was kidding.

bigcranky
03-02-2015, 08:19
I carried ~65 pounds when I first started backpacking. I was young, and then later I was taking a small child. I was so amazed when my total pack weight dropped below 50 pounds, and then below 40 - wow!

So sure, you can carry that much. For a weekend hike it's not that bad especially if you're bringing some cool camp things like chairs or a grill and some steaks. For a thru-hike, well, people have successfully thru'd with that much.

Sure, you can spend a lot of money on "ultralight" gear (some of which is even light!) but it's not hard to go very light without spending a ton of money.

egilbe
03-02-2015, 08:42

An Alice pack? Oh god, ditch that thing. Its made to torture soldiers. Find a pack that fits you. Shoes and pack are two things you should cheap out on, in my opinion. Find one that fits you and can comfortably carry up to 35 pounds or so.

DavidNH
03-02-2015, 08:45
do a few weekend backpacks and find out what is too heavy and what is just right. no one here knows what the right pack weight for you is but you.

egilbe
03-02-2015, 08:56
An Alice pack? Oh god, ditch that thing. Its made to torture soldiers. Find a pack that fits you. Shoes and pack are two things you should cheap out on, in my opinion. Find one that fits you and can comfortably carry up to 35 pounds or so.

Should NOT cheap out on

Why doesn't this forum have an edit option?

bemental
03-02-2015, 09:15
Should NOT cheap out on

Why doesn't this forum have an edit option?

There's an edit feature, but you have to pay for it :-P

Just like having a custom avatar, another common feature on every other forum on this planet, you have to pay for to we as well.

I understand donations help keep the forums running, but don't nickel and dime us what are a akin to basic forum rights.

bemental
03-02-2015, 09:17

ALICE packs are legit pack, but you're definitely paying for it in weight.

bemental
03-02-2015, 09:20
Yeah....about that it was in my pack next to the 20in pepperoni. I wish i was kidding.

I recently retired from the Marines wokman and was *incredibly* surprised at the improvements in gear over what we've been working with in the service.

Sure, some of it will cost you, but man does it beat heavy canvas and nonsense like that.

Sarcasm the elf
03-02-2015, 10:00
What's your pack weigh?

I'm 6'1 165.

Sorry if i missed it, but did you say what kind of backpacking you want to do? Do you want to start getting out for weekends? Are you planning a long distance hike? A thru hike?

If you are starting by getting out for the weekend, the there is no problem with a 40+lb pack. Jist go out and enjoy yourself. On my first week long trip I was lugging around 55lbs. It was a pain, but it got me to love backpacking, now I'm around 25lbs for the same trip, but that is 5 years later. My opinion is lighter is better, but heavy still works, no need to go spending money on new gear unless you think you really need it.

wilsonnickp
03-02-2015, 11:18
As far as price for lighter stuff, you can get a Gossamer Gear or GoLite pack really reasonably. And lighter sleeping pads as well.

Deadeye
03-02-2015, 11:54
l depends. I use my circa 1969 Kelty, It's less than 5 pounds, still works fine, and is paid for!

Deadeye
03-02-2015, 11:55
Sorry, didn't see "Army" in there. Ditch Alice.

Busky2
03-02-2015, 12:02
I've done heavy and I've done light I like the light better and have paid for it but I found it worth it for me. In 1978 I carried over 50# on trail and thought I was just an average Joe. Now older and broken in a few places plus a bit tired I would never carry anywhere near that amount for fear or paralysis.