PDA

View Full Version : what amazon Solar panel to try?.........5000 lumen head-lamp and battery pack!?!?!

tuswm
03-01-2015, 15:54
First of all thank you for taking the time to read my thread and give your advice.

Below are the 2 that I have found. Feel free to recommend another. I plan on using this for my on the JMT and PCT for 6 weeks this summer. Sunlight should not be a problems. I want to hang it on my pack and charge a devices at a time as I hike. I want to charge 4 x AA for my steri pen, my head lamp, my Bluetooth head phones, and My phone (galaxy S4) I want to it for camera, music, E-Reader at night, and a no cell service GPS APP. I Plan to use my Cell is mostly airplane mode.

Can you also recommend a USB AA & AAA light weight Charger. I found many of them for $10--15 on amazon.com

Portable Solar Charger- 7W BLKBOX Portable Folding Solar Kit Solar Charges iPhones, Tablets, Phones or Anything with a USB Connection (7-Watt Solar Charger)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00F3LPODY/ref=gno_cart_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A2U5EVHYKBYUGT
Product Description

Color: 7-Watt Solar Charger
BLKBOX Solar Chargers are perfect accessory to charge any cell phone, tablet, GPS or other USB device. Using BLKBOX solar chargers are a great way to keep your power on all day long. No more running out of power on a hike or at the camp site. BLKBOX makes a great addition to any emergency kit, when the power is out, you can charge your phone using the sun.BLKBOX aims to bring the latest technology products at the lowest possible prices. Customer Satisfaction is Guaranteed.
A Solar Charger for all Your Gadgets
BLKBOX solar chargers have a USB port (female) which can be connected to any USB re-chargeable device. Some of these devices include but not limited to Android & Apple Devices, Smart Phones, GPS, Tablets, PS Vita, GoPro, and many more. If you're uncertain if your device is compatible, please email us at [email protected]
Available in Different Sizes and Power Outputs to Meet Any Need
5W Panel - 9 oz. Very portable, great for everyday phone and eReader charging. Fully charge an iPhone in about 4 hours. Good for eReaders. Not for iPads or tablets.
7W Panel - 11.5 oz. More Power- Best for everyday phone and eReader charging. Fully charge an iPhone in about 2.5 hours. Good for tablets and eReaders. Not for iPads
10W Panel - 12 oz. Max Power- faster charge for phone, tablet, eReaders and other USB devices. Fully charge an iPhone in about 2 hours. Good for tablets and eReaders and iPads
12W Panel - 15 oz. Ultimate Power- Fastest charger for phone, tablet, eReaders and other USB devices. Fully charge an iPhone in about 2 hours. Great for tablets and eReaders and iPads
What's in the Package?
1 BLKBOX Portable Solar Charger with 1 USB output port
1 Year Manufactures Warranty
Full 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
If for any reason you are not satisfied, please email us- [email protected]

AP® Solar Foldable Charger 7W Portable Folding Solar Power Monocrystalline Panel Charger USB Output Controller External Battery Charger Battery Pack Backup for iphones, Samsung, Blackerry, Ipad, Camera, MP4, PDA, Phone, Bluetooth Headset, IPOD Digital Productsand Most USB Devices

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GXZQ08C/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_5?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A2Z6I2H487OQGL
About AP
AP is founded by many young people who love modern life and challenge. With AP power battery, you DO NOT need to worry your phones without power. We also focuse on improving customers' shopping experience, go and enjoy the greatest happiness during the travel.

Features:
7 Watt 1400 mA Folding Solar Panel
Ultra-compact powerful solar panel enables you to charge most handheld devices directly from the built-in 5 Volt USB charging ports. This 7 watt panel makes charging easier since you don't need as much direct sunlight to produce the same amount of power.

--Portable and Light Weight
--5V USB Output for charging Mobile Phones
--Folding Solar Panel
--Water Resistant design
--Compatible with most USB device
--Smaller than comparable panels
--More powerful than comparable panels
--Pocket for devices and for cell charger
--Material: PET fabricated fabric
--Compact folding fabric case
--Folded 190 x 190 x 3mm/ 7.5 x 7.5 x 0.12inch
--Open 390 x 190 x 1mm/ 15.4 x 7.5 x 0.04inch

Package:
1x Folding solar panel

Fit for:
This product is a multifunctional solar charger, which can charge your mobile phone, PDA, MP3, MP4, digital camera, video camera, PSP video games, iPhone, blackberry, bluetooth headset, IPOD digital products, ect

Warranty:
1. One year guarantee from AP
2. Your Satisfaction is our Highest Priority.?Please feel free to contact us with any questions regarding our products and shipping

I also found this.....
5000 Lumens Led Headlamp ;3*CREE XM-L L2 4 Modes Rechargeable Bike Light ; Led Bicycle Headlamp Headlight for Camping Fishing Hiking Traveling Reading Jogging Headlights(Led Headlight+2*18650 Rechargeable Batteries+USB Cable+Charger+Car Charger)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00N1JU8OU/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_4?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3VJPNDLBUB6BT
I love how this head lamp doubles as a battery pack.....is it possible that it makes 5000 lumens? Most head lamps at REI are between 50 and 200....... inst that light car light bright?

Dochartaigh
03-01-2015, 17:37
I don't mean to be a bummer, but solar panels have never worked that well for me when I try to charge anything. Maybe it's because I live (and camp/hike/kayak) where there's always trees, and I would have to move my 10W solar panel a hundred times a day to keep it in direct sunlight (and it would have to still be a beautiful cloud-free day), but again, they've always been lacking in my experience. Maybe if you got something like a large 20+ watt solar panel, and are in 100% bring sunlight all day long (i.e. not a spec of cloud in the sky), you might have better luck.

The only outdoor-type people I've heard have good luck with them are the base camp people on expeditions who bring huge (think $500+) and heavy/bulky solar panel setups which they link together (forming a large grid of solar panels) to charge their gear.

Most hikers will use a USB battery pack instead and top it off when they can (I not too familiar with the areas you're going so I can't speak if that's feasible or not). This is also usually more weight efficient. My 12,000 mah USB battery pack weighs 8.71 ounces. My 10W solar panel, by itself (still need cables, batteries, and charger along with that) weighs 14.78 ounces.

Slo-go'en
03-01-2015, 17:43
The OP might have better luck out west on the JMT where trees are not much of an issue. I believe the PCT in general has more direct sun then the AT does.

I would go for a flexible panel which can be rolled up. Get the biggest one you can find and drape it over the back of the pack. Hike NOBO so the sun is mostly to your back.

10-K
03-01-2015, 17:46
The Suntactics s5 is what I used on the PCT from Campo to somewhere in northern CA and it charged my iphone quickly and dependably.

Hikes in Rain
03-01-2015, 17:50
I've got a folding 10-watt panel, as well. Taken it a couple of times, and it's worked nicely to keep the phone topped off. It'd have taken way too long to bring it back up from dead to make it worthwhile. It also worked better with my old flip phone; even in bright shade it still charged, albeit at a slow rate. My i-phone is much more sensitive to power fluctuation; one lady and her young daughter were admiring it, and when one's shadow fell on the panel, not even covering it all (maybe a quarter or less), the phone shut down the charge. Had to unplug and restart each time, but it kept the phone topped off. Phone was down a quarter, and it went to % in about an hour.

Got a new toy now. External battery to recharge the phone, that has a small solar panel. It does charge the battery, but the manual mentions needing 10 to 12 hours of direct sun to recharge it. The battery did recharge my i-phone fully from dead with some power left. Maybe if I stopped in a sunny spot for lunch each day it'd builld enough charge back up to get a call or two out, but honestly, I'd probably be somewhere to plug stuff in by that time.

Since I'm section hiking, I can get away with playing with these things. :)

tuswm
03-01-2015, 18:00
I have done the JMT before and MOST of it is well above tree line and in direct sunlight.

I am looking in to input more in my system. I feel like solar should be fine out there. I have a flame stower for the AT (My Back Yard).....more so than batteries vs solar. Last time I did the JMT I did the last 3/4 no resupply. This time I am taking a fishing pole.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00N1JU8OU/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_4?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3VJPNDLBUB6BT

Great toy
not so much of a tool
To get the full 2.5 W you need to get the metal blade red hot, you need to keep it that way for hours. PATA.. So much effort. But allways gives you something to do at camp.

tuswm
03-01-2015, 18:01
If you just put it in the fire you only get enough to not drain the battery in suburbia

scrabbler
03-01-2015, 18:16
What if you hit a stretch of cloudy or rainy weather for a couple of weeks? I'd ditch the solar plan and figure out a battery pack solution.

theeulogy
03-07-2015, 22:21
I have the Goal Zero 7watt panel, if you are going to depend on this to keep a phone churches I would go a bit higher up. I would recommend a 15 Watt system and a sizable battery that will charge your phone at least 2 times. This will make sure you don't lose charge on those back to back rainy days.

I also Highly recommended that you test you setup thoroughly before you depend on it, know how many times your battery will charge your phone, and how long it takes to charge the battery and the phone in ideal, and non ideal situation.

4eyedbuzzard
03-07-2015, 23:34
I also found this.....
5000 Lumens Led Headlamp ;3*CREE XM-L L2 4 Modes Rechargeable Bike Light ; Led Bicycle Headlamp Headlight for Camping Fishing Hiking Traveling Reading Jogging Headlights(Led Headlight+2*18650 Rechargeable Batteries+USB Cable+Charger+Car Charger)
I love how this head lamp doubles as a battery pack.....is it possible that it makes 5000 lumens? Most head lamps at REI are between 50 and 200....... inst that light car light bright?
There are real world lumens, and Chinese advertising lumens :rolleyes:
The Cree XM-L L2 ( http://www.cree.com/LED-Components-and-Modules/Products/XLamp/Discrete-Directional/XLamp-XML2 ) puts out max 1000 lumens at 100 lumens per watt efficiency. So 5000 lumens from 3 XM-L's is BS. And you're going to need lots of power (batteries) to run it at that power level for any significant length of time. Add that the price seems a bit low given the components and technology involved.

Sodium
03-08-2015, 05:29
I took a small solar panel charger on a 3 week hiking trip to Africa a few years ago. I was near the equator, with 10+ hrs of strong sunshine each day, and I have to say it was pretty useless! Took over 1 day of it sitting outside the tent in full sunlight to charge the battery. What did work really well was the external battery back - so you'd charge the battery via solar (or by plugging it into a wall socket ;) ) then charge your devices off the battery.

I'd just take an external battery pack now, charge it up in town/hostels and avoid carrying the extra weight of the solar panels.

As for the "5000 lumens headlamp", no it won't be anywhere near 5000 lumens, but then that is brighter than a car. No reason to ever need more than 200 lumens when hiking. If you just want an external battery pack, there are much better options than that headlamp.

Anker do some excellent battery packs of different sizes - just pick the capacity that you think you'll need to recharge your various devices enough times, between access to mains power. e.g.,
http://www.amazon.com/Compact-10000mAh-Portable-External-Technology/dp/B009USAJCC

Starchild
03-08-2015, 07:36
Looking at your list of devices you are asking a lot from a solar charger, and a panel size that is not large enough to be practical for a single device simply will be overwhelmed for multiple devices. Note that many have stated it is OK to top off a smartphone but really not any more practical then that, but you need it to also recharge these other devices. Add to that even a single cloudy day if you are 'low' on power and the power 'system' has the potential collapse (meaning you may need to recharge multiple mission critical devices all at once).

Also much of the prevailing wisdom if you do go solar is to get one that recharges a battery and then you recharge the device off of that battery (as opposed to recharge directly). This gets rid of the smartphone rejecting the charge problem and gives you a power reserve.

theeulogy
03-09-2015, 20:22
I personally use a 15000mah battery pack to keep my Galaxy S5 charged up, I keep it in airplane mode and use it as an MP3 player and camera. I also have a GPS tracker that I use to document my trip that i keep charged with it also, this is enough juice to keep me going about 5 days. I have tried solar, but it just doesnt work for me.