PDA

View Full Version : What 6th Graders would pack in their packs for the AT

Busky2
03-01-2015, 16:25
I had the chance to go to school for the day talk to some cool kids about my trip on the AT and the day before my visit they were given a task, list what do you pack.

One hundred thirty suburban sixth grade boys and girls were asked to pack a backpack for a four night trip on the AT. They were informed that they need food, shelter, water, and proper clothes to stay. And anything else they thought they MUST HAVE. They had the normal everyday items but I offer just some of the others listed for you entertainment:

Food: Salads, 30 meat sandwiches, turkeys, hotdogs, hamburgers, jar of mayo, cold cuts, 12 cans of ravioli, MREs, one boy said just Skiddles. Some were going to catch their food with traps, fish traps, fishing pole, and one said superglue we had hunters too, one said guns, shotgun, BB gun spelled beebee, one little girl said a AK47 to back up her food and a UZI to back up the AK47 and extra ammo. A crock pot was in there as well as a battery powered oven ( gotta get one of those), one had pots and pans and a stove but no cookable food.

Drinks: We had anywhere from 3 to 10 gallons of water and 3 gallons of milk to up to 30 bottles of water, one wanted only16 oz bottles of just COLD water because it may be hot, Gater-aid and coffee in the AM only (for sixth grader), and 5 hour energy drinks were very popular.

Equipment: We found a sleeping bag that turns into a purse, 2 not 1 pencil sharpeners, hammers, saws, wrenches, ax and hatchets were there along with 2 chisels and a mop I only hope it was meant a map but she listed a map elsewhere? Also listed were night vision goggles, a mini fan and mini fridge, and a outlet for a heater, a little buddy propane heater with 8 tanks. Also anywhere from 2 to 4 flashlights both battery and windup.

Pets: Dogs and a cat and a snake one child was taking a cat bed without having a cat.

Clothes: They ran the gambit from none to as many as three sets a day for the 4 days plus Coats x3 Hats x3 shoes x5 boots x3 socks x16 underwear x10

Hygiene: Shampoo and deodorant, soap or course but in there was poop bags, a portable toilet 2 to 10 rolls of TP (for 4 days) hand lotion, perfume, hair ties, meds and pain killer Oxy, cough syrup a bathroom bucket (their own privy?) and diapers 18 of them

Unique items I never though of: Basketball, baseball cards, bag of ping pong balls (?) firecrackers, DVD player with 10 dvds, a DVD player with The Lord of the Rings dvd, bullet proof vest( may know the girl with the AK47 and UZI), a gavel (hammer?), laptop, megaphone, 7 books, satellite phone, money anywhere from quarters to use the phone $20,000.00 and one who needed to have $207.00, and last but not least one child was packing FIREWOOD to take into the woods.

tiptoe
03-01-2015, 17:06
This is so cute. It also took me back decades to Brattleboro, VT, where I taught English to foreign students at the Experiment for International Living. EIL also sent American students to live overseas for a period of time. One of the pre-trip activities for these students was making several circuits around a parking lot carrying everything they intended to take. I think the luggage was lightened considerably after this exercise.

Damn Yankee
03-01-2015, 17:40
Reminds me of the old tv show, Kids say the darnedest things. I love kids

rocketsocks
03-01-2015, 17:52
Very nice! sounds like they all had fun and engaged. Was this the group you asked about privy pictures. What was the consensus on using privies or Poopin' in the woods?

Busky2
03-01-2015, 18:07
Very nice! sounds like they all had fun and engaged. Was this the group you asked about privy pictures. What was the consensus on using privies or Poopin' in the woods?

Yes it was and it went from icky to cool.

Wokman
03-01-2015, 19:07
I love kids I'm surprised no one said Bear Grylls.

Connie
03-01-2015, 19:25
Great list!

Next time we have a discussion about headlamps I am not putting in a word about my UL LED hat brim.

Night vision goggles.

Carbo
03-01-2015, 20:16
Kids are great! If you really listen to them you can learn a lot.

Hangfire
03-01-2015, 20:50
I would have loved to have a Red Rider bb gun with me last year. You could lay on your belly in the shelter at night with your red light on and a cup of peanut butter on the picnic table and absolutely Tee off on the mice. Though i doubt the other sheltered hikers would appreciate that much. Just to tease me they were selling red riders in the hardware store in Hot Springs, too much extra weight:-(

canoe
03-01-2015, 21:31
I had the chance to go to school for the day talk to some cool kids about my trip on the AT and the day before my visit they were given a task, list what do you pack.

One hundred thirty suburban sixth grade boys and girls were asked to pack a backpack for a four night trip on the AT. They were informed that they need food, shelter, water, and proper clothes to stay. And anything else they thought they MUST HAVE. They had the normal everyday items but I offer just some of the others listed for you entertainment:

Food: Salads, 30 meat sandwiches, turkeys, hotdogs, hamburgers, jar of mayo, cold cuts, 12 cans of ravioli, MREs, one boy said just Skiddles. Some were going to catch their food with traps, fish traps, fishing pole, and one said superglue we had hunters too, one said guns, shotgun, BB gun spelled beebee, one little girl said a AK47 to back up her food and a UZI to back up the AK47 and extra ammo. A crock pot was in there as well as a battery powered oven ( gotta get one of those), one had pots and pans and a stove but no cookable food.

Drinks: We had anywhere from 3 to 10 gallons of water and 3 gallons of milk to up to 30 bottles of water, one wanted only16 oz bottles of just COLD water because it may be hot, Gater-aid and coffee in the AM only (for sixth grader), and 5 hour energy drinks were very popular.

Equipment: We found a sleeping bag that turns into a purse, 2 not 1 pencil sharpeners, hammers, saws, wrenches, ax and hatchets were there along with 2 chisels and a mop I only hope it was meant a map but she listed a map elsewhere? Also listed were night vision goggles, a mini fan and mini fridge, and a outlet for a heater, a little buddy propane heater with 8 tanks. Also anywhere from 2 to 4 flashlights both battery and windup.

Pets: Dogs and a cat and a snake one child was taking a cat bed without having a cat.

Clothes: They ran the gambit from none to as many as three sets a day for the 4 days plus Coats x3 Hats x3 shoes x5 boots x3 socks x16 underwear x10

Hygiene: Shampoo and deodorant, soap or course but in there was poop bags, a portable toilet 2 to 10 rolls of TP (for 4 days) hand lotion, perfume, hair ties, meds and pain killer Oxy, cough syrup a bathroom bucket (their own privy?) and diapers 18 of them

Unique items I never though of: Basketball, baseball cards, bag of ping pong balls (?) firecrackers, DVD player with 10 dvds, a DVD player with The Lord of the Rings dvd, bullet proof vest( may know the girl with the AK47 and UZI), a gavel (hammer?), laptop, megaphone, 7 books, satellite phone, money anywhere from quarters to use the phone $20,000.00 and one who needed to have $207.00, and last but not least one child was packing FIREWOOD to take into the woods. And your point is?

Busky2
03-01-2015, 21:47
And your point is?

Entertainment that is all. I thought they were cute, some interesting and just wanted to pass it on.

canoe
03-01-2015, 22:32
Entertainment that is all. I thought they were cute, some interesting and just wanted to pass it on. Thats what I thought.

Odd Man Out
03-02-2015, 11:44
This is excellent. I think the point is that Busky2 is going out to talk to 6th graders about backpacking! More people should do that. Asking them to think about what to take was a brilliant idea. What a great way to make the activity interactive and get the kids thinking. Last July on my way to a section hike in VA, I was taking the train to Lynchburg. Toward the end of the trip, the train was almost empty so I unpacked all my gear to sort things out and repack. There were two young kids traveling with their grandparents. One girl (I would guess was not quite in 6th grade yet) was very interested in all my gear. She was asking lots of questions about "what happens if it rains" and "where do you go to the bathroom" and "what do you eat" etc... She said her family had never been camping. I hope I got her thinking about getting out to enjoy nature.

Wolf - 23000
03-02-2015, 13:50
The scary part of this, I've seen Thru-hikers actually try carrying all these things. If you head down to Georgia in March/April you will see everything.

Wolf

rocketsocks
03-02-2015, 14:00
This is excellent. I think the point is that Busky2 is going out to talk to 6th graders about backpacking! More people should do that. Asking them to think about what to take was a brilliant idea. What a great way to make the activity interactive and get the kids thinking. Last July on my way to a section hike in VA, I was taking the train to Lynchburg. Toward the end of the trip, the train was almost empty so I unpacked all my gear to sort things out and repack. There were two young kids traveling with their grandparents. One girl (I would guess was not quite in 6th grade yet) was very interested in all my gear. She was asking lots of questions about "what happens if it rains" and "where do you go to the bathroom" and "what do you eat" etc... She said her family had never been camping. I hope I got her thinking about getting out to enjoy nature.is story's like these and Buskys that the phrase "planting seeds" refers to. I think most that got here, at some point could relate a story of how a seed was planted in their minds to take up backpacking. Good job to al the farmers for planting seeds...we need more sprouts I the fields.

Christoph
03-02-2015, 14:13
What an excellent project (and a great read)! I'm just left here scratching my head over the bag of ping pong balls. ??? Haha

Hikes in Rain
03-02-2015, 21:48
They're cellulose; make good fire starters?

Odd Man Out
03-02-2015, 22:17
What an excellent project (and a great read)! I'm just left here scratching my head over the bag of ping pong balls. ??? Haha

Life preserver for those rough stream crossings?

Carbo
03-02-2015, 22:29
According to Bill Bryson you can use a ping pong ball to replace your eye, if you blow out your eye while clearing your nose.

MoeTCrow
03-03-2015, 00:15
That pencil sharpener isn't a bad idea. Makes a pile of shavings quick and helps kids find the right size for kindling. Oh and you can use it to sharpen your pencil too. Not to mention the really weigh next to nothin.

shelb
03-03-2015, 00:51
Little darlings! I really wish we could hear them say these things!