PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a ride from MA area to GA in early April!

John Rambo
03-02-2015, 09:50
Can provide gas money, great company, snacks, and can drive an automatic or a stick! Clean record. Told my job I would be able to work until 3/27 and can leave any time after that.

I'm a 26 year old woman who did the PCT last year. Find my FB: TBird Corley to get a better impression of me!

Thanks ya'll,
John Rambo

Slo-go'en
03-02-2015, 11:12
I suppose it's possible, but very unlikely you'd find a ride to share. Keep in mind that's typically a 3 day drive so motels are involved too. It can be done faster, but that means someone has to drive all night which can be dangerous. Don't want to be nodding off at the wheel you know. I did a marathon ride from Jackson hole, Wyoming to NYC once in 36 hours. I'm amazed we made it alive.

You should plan on taking a plane, train or bus and to the get the best price you need to buy a ticket ASAP. The best price on a bus ticket is 2 weeks out, the best price on the train or plane is 4 weeks out. The most expensive ticket is at the window the day you want to leave.

Sly
03-02-2015, 11:28
If you can't find a ride, you can probably find a cheap flight or the train would probably would probably be cool.

Boo8meR
03-02-2015, 12:20
Out of curiosity, does anyone know the closest train station to AFSP? Where would you recommend going on the train to have the closest shuttle to the approach trail?

Slo-go'en
03-02-2015, 13:19
Out of curiosity, does anyone know the closest train station to AFSP? Where would you recommend going on the train to have the closest shuttle to the approach trail?

Gainesville, GA. Both the train and the bus stop there. Hiker Hostel will shuttle you from there. Flying you have to go to Atlanta.

ChefATLTCT
03-02-2015, 13:34
Im driving to Erwin TN on 3/11 from Cambridge Massachusetts. I know thats earlier than your departure date, but it would get you close and a shuttle to GA from TN would probably be cheaper than train to GA from MA. I have taken AMtrak from South Station to Gainesville three times, great trip but pricey. By google maps erwin is about 13 hour ride from Cambridge, Im leaving early AM to arrive in erwin around 6 pm.

Boo8meR
03-02-2015, 13:36
Gainesville, GA. Both the train and the bus stop there. Hiker Hostel will shuttle you from there. Flying you have to go to Atlanta.

Sorry for the hijack - I think the info may be useful, though.

I've never ridden a train before; but, since I flew over 100,000 miles last year, I think this would be a great way to get down there because I'm tired of planes. I have a few questions:

-Can you carry your pack with you? I will have stove fuel, a knife, matches, etc., (all of the things that would make my bag need to be checked on a plane).
-What companies (AMTRAK?) would you suggest from Central, NC?
-Any advice? Any particular route you'd suggest?

Thanks!

squeezebox
03-02-2015, 14:12
Check out Mega Bus, cheap as dirt.

bemental
03-02-2015, 17:31
Check out Mega Bus, cheap as dirt.

Second the Megabus!

1azarus
03-02-2015, 17:34
is it bad form to ask where the John Rambo name came from? sort of unusual... no judgement, here -- just curious!

Slo-go'en
03-02-2015, 18:09
-Can you carry your pack with you? I will have stove fuel, a knife, matches, etc., (all of the things that would make my bag need to be checked on a plane).

Thanks!

There's only one choice, Amtrak and only one route. You'd want to get on at Greensboro, NC. There are other stops in NC, but don't connect direct to Gainesville.

You can bring your pack and have anything you want in it, no one will check it. They might frown on liquid fuel should it leak.

Boo8meR
03-02-2015, 19:27
There's only one choice, Amtrak and only one route. You'd want to get on at Greensboro, NC. There are other stops in NC, but don't connect direct to Gainesville.

You can bring your pack and have anything you want in it, no one will check it. They might frown on liquid fuel should it leak.

I checked Amtrak's site and they showed a ~4hr overnight trip from Charlotte, NC to Gainesville. Is the Greensboro one a better option? I'd honestly like to travel during the day, but don't mind either way.

Slo-go'en
03-02-2015, 21:32
I checked Amtrak's site and they showed a ~4hr overnight trip from Charlotte, NC to Gainesville. Is the Greensboro one a better option? I'd honestly like to travel during the day, but don't mind either way.

I don't know, you can figure out what is best for you by yourself at this point. I pretty sure there is only one train and that goes through that area in the middle of the night.

DavidNH
03-02-2015, 22:34
looking for a ride from Mass to Ga? i highly doubt you'll get one and even if you did that is a long ass way to be in a car and you'd be starting your hike thoroughly exhausted. Why don't you fly Boston to Atlanta (just a few hours) or failing that take Amtrack from Boston to Gainsville, GA. At least you could arrive rested. I bet train or plane would be cheaper in the long run.

Havana
03-03-2015, 11:01
The cheapest Amtrak fare is $254 from Boston to Gainsville. $150 via Greyhound (that's about the cost of gas). Airfare will be north of $300. I'd take the train.

mrcoffeect
03-03-2015, 14:12
you could leave out of new london ct. on the 30th for $155.00

mrcoffeect
03-03-2015, 14:12
on amtrak oops

MarkCevoli
03-04-2015, 21:19
ill be driving down to start the trail march 28th, send me a message we can chat more.

squeezebox
03-05-2015, 00:55
Southwest airlines, Boston to Atlanta about $120 or so.

Dholmblad
03-09-2015, 11:26
I took a greyhound down when I hiked. It was the sketchiest bus ride I have ever been on. I'd go with the train.

4eyedbuzzard
03-09-2015, 11:44

I've never ridden a train before; but, since I flew over 100,000 miles last year, I think this would be a great way to get down there because I'm tired of planes. I have a few questions:

Thanks!Just an FYI:
You cannot carry stove fuel on an airplane. Even in checked baggage. http://www.tsa.gov/traveler-information/prohibited-items#9

And AMTRAK and Greyhound also do not allow stove fuel.

AMTRAK : "Incendiaries, including but not limited to flammable gases, liquids, fuels, fireworks and other explosive devices" Prohibited in checked and carry on. http://www.amtrak.com/prohibited-items

Greyhound: "Fuels (including cooking fuels and any flammable liquid fuel)", "Compressed Gas Cylinders" Prohibited in checked and carry on. https://www.greyhound.com/en/docs/greyhound_prohibited_items_list.pdf