PDA

View Full Version : Packing list question...

Boo8meR
03-02-2015, 16:02
My sleep system is rated to 30F. I also have the following items:

Blue CCF pad (torso length)
Reflectix pad (torso length, but have enough left to make a full length)
NeoLite pad (I have a men's and a woman's)
Fleece sleeping bag liner
CCF sitting pad from Dutch

I'm leaving for my thru-hike sometime between now and March 16th so I'm counting on a few weeks to a month of potentially cold weather. Which of the aforementioned items would you bring? Combination of two? Three? And also, please explain.

Thanks!

Boo8meR
03-02-2015, 19:25
**Reflectix is only 16" wide, FWIW.

kayak karl
03-02-2015, 19:49
**Reflectix is only 16" wide, FWIW. it comes in widths up to 48" at the suppy house. we use 24" most of the time.

Boo8meR
03-02-2015, 19:52
I understand that. I should have clarified - the reflectix I have and use is 16" wide.

kayak karl
03-02-2015, 20:24
what is your sleeping system ?

Boo8meR
03-02-2015, 20:38
what is your sleeping system ?

BoneFire 30F hammock with integrated under quilt and his prototype 30F top quilt under a CF3 tarp w/ doors.

Boo8meR
03-02-2015, 20:39
Hammock is double layer and with the different pads I have, I'm trying to figure out the best warmth vs. weight option since I'm sure I'll have some nights below 30F.

fastfoxengineering
03-02-2015, 21:04
is the neolite pad a neoair xlite?

anyways i would bring either the blow up pad or ccf and the sitpad. send home the mat when it warms up and youll probably want to keep the sitpad for the rest of your hike.

sit pads are a fantastic luxury item. and dutch's offering is as light and compact as the come.

supplement more clothes if your cold

Boo8meR
03-02-2015, 21:08
I'm bringing a down jacket and pants and intend to wear those if it's cold, too. I want to get most of this stuff sent home pretty quickly; but, for my first thru-hike, I want to be as comfortable as I can during the break-in phase and if that means an extra pound or two for warmth at night, I'll do it.

Boo8meR
03-02-2015, 21:09
Yes, the neo air is the super lightweight yellow one. Both of them are, the men's and the women's. I figured the women's may be lighter and a little shorter but I have a sit pad I could use by my feet and a small reflectix pad, too.

fastfoxengineering
03-02-2015, 21:26
if your 30* system is indeed comfortable down to 30* then adding full length baselayers, a fleece, a down jacket, and a hat should help a ton.

if it were me, i'd prob take the ccf pad and sit pad then ditch the ccf pad

you said your leaving between now and march 16th. so your not working I presume? go sleep in your hammock a few times.. it'll help acclimate you to sleeping in a hammock anyways and youll get some more practice setting it up and getting comfortable in it.

you have a few different options, why not try them all before you set out to the woods?

Boo8meR
03-02-2015, 21:30
I'd love to and will do as much as I can when I have the chance but I'm still waiting on the hammock to get here. Jeremy's making it for me as soon as he can and it should be here by the end of the week. Weather depending, I may be on the trail at the beginning of next week. No, not working, all the time in the world, but, ready to get on the trail.

I'll definitely try out all the stuff, I just don't know if I'll be able to do as much testing as I'd like before I head south.