PDA

View Full Version : Osprey Atmos AG 65

woodsman
03-02-2015, 17:34
Thinking about this new pack. Anybody using the new ATMOS and if so, what are your reviews?

Carbo
03-02-2015, 17:54
This is the Atmos AG Suspension and from what I heard it will not be out for another couple of weeks. The pics I saw had the back suspension webbing extend down the back and out into the hip belt. The people who previewed the pack said it was very comfortable with good back ventilation (folks from EMS). Anyone know if other dealers/stores have it in stock yet?

TheRoadNotTaken
03-02-2015, 18:39
I was told that REI has exclusivity initially, and they did have it in the store. The back was pretty awesome.

CarlZ993
03-02-2015, 18:47
Looks pretty sharp. It's a shame that I don't need a new pack right now. Maybe even better, last year's model will be priced at a deep discount.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7UyVeN30G4

Pajj
03-02-2015, 18:49
I saw it the other day at my REI. Didn't try it on but it looked extremely comfortable. I would definitely say it would be worth looking into and trying it out.

Carbo
03-02-2015, 20:17
Looks pretty sharp. It's a shame that I don't need a new pack right now. Maybe even better, last year's model will be priced at a deep discount.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7UyVeN30G4

Thanks for the link. Awesome pack compared to my 30 year old external frame!

Bird Dawg
03-02-2015, 21:49
I picked up the Atmos 68 AG EX yesterday at REI. It's much different than the pack I was used to (Granite Gear Crown VC 60). I took the Atmos out for a training hike today for the first time. The 68 (the Large size) is very robust at about 4 lbs 8 ozs - as compared to the Granite Gear's 2.5 lbs (+ or - with the Line Loc lid). But, the Atmos will handle much heavier loads comfortably - where the Crown VC maxes out at 30-35 lbs range. The Atmos suspension system is very nice. The mesh back panel material was incorporated all the way down through the waist belt. I loaded the pack down today and I was very comfortable. I need to tweak the torso length - which is adjustable. The waist belt extends out to wrap you more if you want. The pack is designed well - with one flaw. The hip belt pockets are so small and tight they are practically useless. I could barely squeeze my iPhone into one. I would have preferred MOLLE webbing or some means to attach larger / deeper pockets. This is my first Osprey pack and I was impressed. I'll have to get used to the additional weight - but after I tweak the suspension a bit and get that dialed in, I think it will serve me well on my thru hike this year.

Butch_Lodi
03-03-2015, 09:40
I love Osprey packs. This one looks like a winner.

SWODaddy
07-10-2015, 21:26
My wife has the Aura 65 AG (female version of the Atmos). She has the same complaints about the hip pockets, but otherwise loves it.

mPalozzola01
07-12-2015, 10:45
I just planning a thru hike and bought the 50L atmos ag and the 48L Exos to try out side by side (i got a stupid discount so I just bought both and I'll sell one later) just from playing with em even though the exos is ospreys UL and is almost 2lbs lighter I really like the atmos

Sent from my SM-G900T1 using Tapatalk

Venchka
07-12-2015, 11:03
I just planning a thru hike and bought the 50L atmos ag and the 48L Exos to try out side by side (i got a stupid discount so I just bought both and I'll sell one later) just from playing with em even though the exos is ospreys UL and is almost 2lbs lighter I really like the atmos

When it comes to packs, lightest doesn't always mean best for a particular individual or that the lightest is the best tool for the job. Thanks for your out of the box impressions.
Maybe we should start a write in campaign for Osprey to make useful hipbelt pockets.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.

mPalozzola01
07-12-2015, 11:08
Agreed that was my one single qualm out of the box I had.

TheOneGuy
07-17-2015, 10:03
I have a Columbia Endura 50L that I'm going to drop to get this pack. I carry 35lbs with water and am planning a 2016 thru-hike. Would those of you who own this pack recommend the 50l or 65l for a thru? (My 50L Columbia is maxed out..and I could use 10 more liters...but maybe the issue is my pack rather than the size. Also, will the 50l be comfortable (shoulders) with a 35lb load?

appompa255
09-08-2015, 14:33
I picked up the Atmos 65 after trying to use an UL pack (Exos 58) on the AT and on some local overnighters. I too like Osprey packs and to me the Atmos 65 AG is the pack I should have purchased from day one. I ended up hauling 40-50 lbs and the Exos 58 is definitely not designed to hold that type of weight. The only other pack I would consider comparable would be the Gregory Baltoro 65. Its a bit heavier, but people swear by their comfort.

nsherry61
09-08-2015, 16:45
Let us know how you like the AG 65 compared to the Exos. I find they both carry comfortably up to about 35 lbs (and not much more) and so I don't quite see a reason for the heavier Atmos AG other than maybe the ability for a more fine-tuned fit. The Baltoro is hard to beat for heavy weight comfort if you like the lumbar support (which I definitely do). The non-AG Ospreys should also carry heavier loads pretty well.

hooshr
09-08-2015, 17:59
Woodsman,

I purchased the Osprey Atmos AG 65 at REI and used on a Grayson Highlands to Damascus "shakedown" hike in August. Very comfortable with 30 -35 lb load. Webbing on the back helped with cooling as the weather was hot. Wraparound hip belts helped distribute weight to hips, but I think they are difficult to access. Overall, I liked it and plan to use on 2016 NOBO

eblanche
09-20-2015, 09:50
I think with the AG suspension system, Osprey has a real winner. They will be implementing the same suspensions system on the larger packs as well. As previously mentioned, now they need to sort out the tiny hipbelt pockets and then redo their pack side pockets. Other than those few mentioned bits, and the heavy weight (but plenty durable materials), I think Osprey has a very nice pack for all but the ultra-light crowd.

After another sweaty few days wearing my non-vented ula ohm 2.0, I can def see the usefulness of a ventilated back. Another plus if you can fit your water bladder in there as it is a pain in the ass to remove, fill with water, and then place the bladder back into your stuffed bag.

jjtrindc
09-24-2015, 13:46
This was my first backpacking pack and I've used it a couple of time this year. While nothing to compare it to, I really like it. I feel like it distributes the load well and can carry upwards of 30+ pounds without much issue. I especially like the way the hip belt adjusts and is "spring loaded" to grab my waist. I do wish the pockets on the hip belt were bigger. While I can get my iPhone 6 in there, I tend to just leave it sticking out a bit for easier access to shoot a picture or look at my map.

Captain Bluebird
10-27-2015, 18:11
I have the prior version of the Atmos 65. I also tried the new AG on at a store off-trail in Franklin, N.C. I was disappointed that the hip pocket issue was not addressed nor the great difficulty in retrieving water bottles from the side pockets. A very durable pack, but I had to remove the pack to get to my water. (My Osprey bladder leaked after one year of use!)