PDA

View Full Version : TRAIL TRAFFIC IN GA what to do about it???

2009ThruHiker
11-03-2005, 10:26
Thru hiker NBO in 2008 would like some input from other thru hikers on the seemingly large amounts of people on the trail in March/April... do you need to set up camp early to insure a tent spot (we don't plan on staying in shelters but may camp at some) or can you push on until near dark and expect to find a spot?

Also, in the Smokie Mountains area, did any past thru hikers NBO find it necessary to resupply in Gatlinburg and if so is there easy transportation back to the trail (didn't see this info in the guidebook) Thanks.

THIS WEBSITE IS THE BEST !!!

Kerosene
11-03-2005, 10:39
Yep, there are a lot of people out there, and many shelters and tent sites near water will fill up early. I think that you might be able to mitigate the cattle drive perception somewhat by starting from Amicalola on Sunday or Monday and keeping to 10-12 mile days for the first week or so. It seemed to me that there was a large influx on Saturday. We started on a Sunday in early April and were a night behind "record" numbers of campers at the popular spots (Springer Mtn., Hawk Mtn., Neels Gap, Blue Mtn., Muskrat Creek shelters). Consider camping at the Hickory Flatts Cemetery just north of Long Creek Falls (make a left at the dirt road), atop Ramrock Mountain, north of Neels Gap at one of the many campsites, and somewhere between Low Gap Shelter and Blue Mountain Shelter.

Note that many thru-hikers value the camaraderie of the group at least as much as the outdoor experience.

Lone Wolf
11-03-2005, 10:42
Gatlinburg is an easy hitch into and out of.

Whistler
11-03-2005, 10:50
If you're willing to use your tent and not rely on the shelters, you should be fine. For the most part, the real estate along the Georgia AT is pretty campable. Part of the fun is seeing people and hanging out, but you can always stay for dinner, grab some water, and move on a couple hundred feet. Most of the shelters are located in areas with a good bit of area for tenting nearby without difficulty--but also realize that many of the shelters are just a few miles before or after some fantastic viewspots that could make for some nice camps. I'm thinking about Preacher's Rock [Big Cedar Mtn] and Cowrock Mtn in particular.
-Mark

Dances with Mice
11-03-2005, 10:54
... do you need to set up camp early to insure a tent spot (we don't plan on staying in shelters but may camp at some) or can you push on until near dark and expect to find a spot? Not a worry either way. You can't walk a mile in Georgia without passing several campsites.

orangebug
11-03-2005, 11:25
If you are a hammock hanger, you have even more options for campsites.

sliderule
11-03-2005, 12:01
Also, in the Smokie Mountains area, did any past thru hikers NBO find it necessary to resupply in Gatlinburg and if so is there easy transportation back to the trail (didn't see this info in the guidebook)
!!

I would venture to say that the thruhiker that does not visit Gatlinburg is in the minority. The trail crosses highway 441 at major overlook, complete with a large parking lot. Anyone there with a pack on becomes an instant tourist attraction. And just about everyone there is either driving to Gatlinburg, or they just left there. So your chances of getting a ride are outstanding.

(The above comments represent my opinion only and may or may not have any basis in reality. My view of reality may differ from that of the reader. My comments are based on casual observation only and are not the result of any scientific process, survey or statistical analysis. Others may draw different conclusions on the basis of identical observations.)

Tha Wookie
11-03-2005, 12:11
Why not take the BMT?

It starts at Springer, and crosses the AT several times. There are only two shelters, and far less people.

It is 25 miles more of the Smokies than the AT.

www.BTMA.org (http://www.BTMA.org)

Tha Wookie
11-03-2005, 12:12
whooooooooooooooooops

www.BMTA.org (http://www.BMTA.org)

Whistler
11-03-2005, 13:18
As for your second question: No, I didn't find it necessary to go to Gatlinburg. As Sliderule pointed out, I'm probably in the minority. It looked like it would be an easy hitch either to or from the trail, though. AT/441 is a busy place.

But the hiking in the GSMNP isn't too hard either. You'll do some climbing the first day, and on the way to Clingman's, but carrying a 5-8 day load wouldn't be too hard otherwise. I think it would probably be worth it, too, if only to experience the Smokies without interruption.
-Mark

Red Hat
11-03-2005, 13:44
Didn't plan on stopping in G'burg...BUT Rain, cold, snowy slush, and knee deep mud got to me, so I got a ride for my sanity. One afternoon and evening, and I was ready to head back the next morning. My hike got much better after the rest. Thanks to all my hiking buddies for their company, and especially Bruce Spruce (Jake) and family for the use of the cabin.

Seeker
11-03-2005, 15:34
I would venture to say that the thruhiker that does not visit Gatlinburg is in the minority. The trail crosses highway 441 at major overlook, complete with a large parking lot. Anyone there with a pack on becomes an instant tourist attraction. And just about everyone there is either driving to Gatlinburg, or they just left there. So your chances of getting a ride are outstanding.

(The above comments represent my opinion only and may or may not have any basis in reality. My view of reality may differ from that of the reader. My comments are based on casual observation only and are not the result of any scientific process, survey or statistical analysis. Others may draw different conclusions on the basis of identical observations.)
there's also a water spigot there. i've parked more than onece for a few days in that lot at Newfound Gap, doing a loop out and back for a few days, resupplying out of my trunk, and then going out for another loop in another direction. folks there were always nice, and i'm sure that if i hadn't had a car, they'd have given me a ride down into town.

The Solemates
11-03-2005, 17:25
Thru hiker NBO in 2008 would like some input from other thru hikers on the seemingly large amounts of people on the trail in March/April... do you need to set up camp early to insure a tent spot (we don't plan on staying in shelters but may camp at some) or can you push on until near dark and expect to find a spot?

Also, in the Smokie Mountains area, did any past thru hikers NBO find it necessary to resupply in Gatlinburg and if so is there easy transportation back to the trail (didn't see this info in the guidebook) Thanks.

THIS WEBSITE IS THE BEST !!!

There are lots of both established and unestablished campsites on the AT. Flat ground is not too hard to find. But, Start early (Feb) or late (May) and you will enjoy much more solitude and get more out of your hike, in our opinion.

There is no need to resupply in Gatlinburg. You can easily get from Fontana to Hot Springs in a week, so just carry food for a 7-8 days. You can eat at Mtn Mama's and/or Bear Farm Hostel along the way to supplement your diet as well. But like has been said, hitching into/out of Gatlinburg (or Cherokee for that matter) is easy.

Peaks
11-03-2005, 17:53
I wish someone would stop in Mountain Crossings and give me a day by day count of just how many thru-hikers sign in there. If you give me the details, then I can do some analysis and get a better idea of how many people are really starting in March and April.

The Solemates
11-03-2005, 18:41
I wish someone would stop in Mountain Crossings and give me a day by day count of just how many thru-hikers sign in there. If you give me the details, then I can do some analysis and get a better idea of how many people are really starting in March and April.

They do just that. Just email em and Im sure they will oblige.

Sly
11-03-2005, 18:56

Writing a book? ;)

The ATC keeps stats using Mountain Crossing numbers among others...

http://www.appalachiantrail.org/site/c.jkLXJ8MQKtH/b.851143/k.C36D/2000Milers_Facts_and_Statistics.htm

The Solemates
11-03-2005, 19:05
Writing a book? ;)

The ATC keeps stats using Mountain Crossing numbers among others...

http://www.appalachiantrail.org/site/c.jkLXJ8MQKtH/b.851143/k.C36D/2000Milers_Facts_and_Statistics.htm

But they dont break it down into starting month, which is what he wants.

Sly
11-03-2005, 19:14

That's true. I wonder when most thru-hiker start:-?

Jack Tarlin
11-03-2005, 19:46
Most Northbounders start between 10 March and 10 April, with the busiest stretch being between St Patrick's Day and around April 5th. The absolute busiest time is generally the weekend closest to the first day of Spring.

The figures at Neel Gap are notriously inaccurate. For example, when I was there this spring, according to their log book, only four thru-hikers had signed in that day. In point of fact there were at least fifteen hikers present at the time, and this doesn't include those who had doubtless been thru and had left already. In other words, a lot of folks don't sign in there, never see the log book, etc., so any attempt to guess the number of starting Northbouinders is just that.....a guess.

SGT Rock
11-03-2005, 20:44
I vote the BMT if you really want to avoid crowds, don't care about no shelters, and don't care about being pure. The BMT in the Smokies runs closer to Cherokee so you could go there for re-supply.

Almost There
11-03-2005, 23:43
Did a section hike from Springer to Neels starting St Patty's day last March. It isn't that bad at all. We started late Thursday around 5pm, and stayed at three forks by ourselves. Stopped at Gooch Shelter the second night and there were about 10 others there, but to be honest we hiked by ourselves most of that day flipflopping with about 4 others, but for the most part we were hiking by ourselves all day long. The only negative if you call it a negative is that you need to be prepared to tent, which I like to do. When we hit Neel's there were alot more people due to the Hostel right there, but we stayed at cabins down the road and had no problem getting a cabin. If you want to start between March 10 and April 10 I recommend that you start middle to end of week. Keep away from weekend or Monday start, as this seems to be when the bulk of people start hiking during a given week. This is also from observations while out doing training hikes as Springer, Three Forks, and Woody Gap are the closest trailheads to my house. Takes me about an hour to get to all of them.

DaSchwartz
11-04-2005, 02:59
Georgia is a mess in March-mid April. The trash is horrible, the privacy is non-existant, the erosion of the area is obvious. It is abusive on the environment. I've only section hiked a few 100 miles but if were to do a thru, I'd start in Harper's Ferry in April-May NOBO and flip flop back to Springer and continue NOBO back to Harper's Ferry. (or SOBO to GA, doesn't matter) The smokies in summer is much more MILDER than Pennsylvania. And you won't have to compete with dozens of thru-hikers to Yogi in GA, NC, TN or VA :D

Peaks
11-04-2005, 08:08
They do just that. Just email em and Im sure they will oblige.

I tried. So far, I have not received a day by day count. Maybe you will be more successful than I

Peaks
11-04-2005, 08:10

I'd like it by the day. Every calendar day.

No, I'm not writing a book. And I have no plans to either. Just looking for a way to get some good data to update an old survey.

shades of blue
11-04-2005, 09:20
The figures at Neel Gap are notriously inaccurate. For example, when I was there this spring, according to their log book, only four thru-hikers had signed in that day. In point of fact there were at least fifteen hikers present at the time, and this doesn't include those who had doubtless been thru and had left already. In other words, a lot of folks don't sign in there, never see the log book, etc., so any attempt to guess the number of starting Northbouinders is just that.....a guess.

Do you think putting the log book (with a sign)near the bathrooms, where you have to pass through to get on the otherside of the store would improve accuracy? I know that many people don't sign logs and journals...but with an explanation that it's for the ATC and good advertising (sign well placed) maybe more people would sign it. What do you think?

Nightwalker
11-05-2005, 13:50
whooooooooooooooooops

www.BMTA.org (http://www.BMTA.org)
Iss okay. I really miss lathe work.

Nean
11-05-2005, 14:58
Except for a few weeks in the spring and fall the trail can get lonely. I'd like to see some more books and movies on the trail to get more folks out here. Numbers have been falling since 2000 and something must be done! The world would be a better place if more people were backpackers.:)