PDA

View Full Version : Best Bladder

Gray Bear
03-02-2015, 21:14
Im not a huge bladder fan but with my new pack its basically impossible for me to get my water bottle back into the side pocket so I may have to give them another try. I really cant stand the plastic taste in some of the camelbaks. Who makes a bladder that tastes decent?

Praha4
03-02-2015, 21:26
Platypus.

1.8L Hoser
or
2.0L Hoser

depending on your pack size

Just Bill
03-02-2015, 22:16
Platy's are nice. Hoser for lightest or the big zip if you want to get in it (not worth the weight IMO)

I would dissent a bit with Florida Mike- The 3L weighs grams more (the hose, not the bladder is the heavy part) than a 2L.
You can always carry less, in fact 2L in a 3L packs much flatter and an extra liter makes dry camps more pleasant.
In addition, the 3L makes a nicer pillow.

Walkintom
03-02-2015, 22:58
Platy is nice. I've had a couple of problems with leaks along the seam welds but they've warrantied them every time.

Source is nice as well. Not as much experience with them yet but the quality seems really good. Also no taste issues.

Johnny Thunder
03-02-2015, 23:26
my msr dromlite (with the hose kit) has about 6,000 miles on it with no leaking. having the option to put the standard dromedary lid (with tiny spout) back on the bag is nice for large hauls around camp or when i want to take a shower. heavier than most options. probably somewhere around 5 or 6 ounces for a 4 liter bag and the hose.

shelb
03-03-2015, 00:56
My new one - that has been fixed and doesn't leak!!!
(Sorry, I couldn't help it)

T-Rx
03-03-2015, 08:31
The best bladder is one that gets you thru the night without having to crawl out of your nice warm sleeping bag and tent for a trip to the woods or the privy!

Butch_Lodi
03-03-2015, 09:38
Platy big zip 3 liter. One trick to avoid the taste and warm yucky water is after you take a drink blow back gently on the tube. Not enough to cause an air bubble to go into the bladder but enough to clear most of the water from the tube. You'll find this makes a big difference.

Grampie
03-03-2015, 09:53
Used a 2 ltr. Platypus on my thru. Had no problems with it. The one problem that I did have was that I never knew when it would run out. As a back up I also used a 16oz. plastic bottle.

HogFan
03-03-2015, 10:45
The best bladder is one that gets you thru the night without having to crawl out of your nice warm sleeping bag and tent for a trip to the woods or the privy!

Short story - Last October. Had to pee so bad I finally hopped out of my tent and trotted down the trail in my camp shoes only to step funny on a rock and break 3 bones in my foot. Had to hike 9 miles back out the next morning. That was one long crappy day.

Gray Bear
03-03-2015, 10:57
Used a 2 ltr. Platypus on my thru. Had no problems with it. The one problem that I did have was that I never knew when it would run out. As a back up I also used a 16oz. plastic bottle.

I hear that. they need to put a little flow meter on there so you know what you have left in the tank!

Gray Bear
03-06-2015, 16:50
Do the Platy hoser and big zip have the same valve? The valve on the big zip kinda sucks.

shakey_snake
03-07-2015, 12:38
Have you tried carrying your bottles on your shoulder straps?

bemental
03-07-2015, 13:45
Short story - Last October. Had to pee so bad I finally hopped out of my tent and trotted down the trail in my camp shoes only to step funny on a rock and break 3 bones in my foot. Had to hike 9 miles back out the next morning. That was one long crappy day.

Pee bottle.

Gray Bear
03-07-2015, 21:41
Have you tried carrying your bottles on your shoulder straps?

No I haven't, I've seen a couple of the simple strap setups that some of the UL pack makers use to hold the bottled water. Maybe I could make one.

Frye
03-07-2015, 23:11
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000GM6LWS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

shakey_snake
03-08-2015, 03:45
No I haven't, I've seen a couple of the simple strap setups that some of the UL pack makers use to hold the bottled water. Maybe I could make one.Id you use a bottle with a nice rib on it (like 20oz Gatorade bottles), it's not so difficult; it's usually just 2 loops of shockcord.

Overall, it's really not so bad. Yes the weight is on your shoulders, but it's not like you have to carry 3L of water there at a time.

The worst part about putting bottles on the front is trying to put you pack back on after taking it off. The straps always twist around and it takes a bit of effort to get everything situated.

Gray Bear
03-08-2015, 08:31
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000GM6LWS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This looks pretty sweet. Half the cost of a bladder.

bemental
03-08-2015, 13:54
This looks pretty sweet. Half the cost of a bladder.

Not a bad idea if you're already taking a Nalgene for hot liquid purposes, otherwise they're a bit in the heavy side in comparison to a bladder.

CarlZ993
03-08-2015, 15:50
Hmmm. I need to get one of those. :)

Frye
03-08-2015, 17:34
Not a bad idea if you're already taking a Nalgene for hot liquid purposes, otherwise they're a bit in the heavy side in comparison to a bladder.

A nalgene? I use it with a smart water bottle. Two of em and the smartube weigh less than a lot of nagenes, hardly on the heavy side;