PDA

View Full Version : MSR Windboiler reviews?

susiegear
03-03-2015, 11:16
Hello, i am looking at replacing my DIY alcohol stove possibly with the MSR Windboiler. Does anyone have any experience with this setup? I know it is fairly new to the market but thought a few might have picked it up and used it over the winter. I have the MSR whisperlite and pocket rocket but like the idea of the whole "system" integrated together. I'm not looking so much for a debate between alcohol stoves and canister stoves but more personal experience with the windboiler. I have used both types of stoves over the years and find the canister stoves to just be quicker to use and less "work" than alcohol stoves. I try to DIY most of my gear but i'm tired of stopping for some lunch and having everyone else done and packed up before my food is even done. i find it to be worth the weight to carry a canister stove. Thanks!

Gray Bear
03-03-2015, 11:29
Hello, i am looking at replacing my DIY alcohol stove possibly with the MSR Windboiler. Does anyone have any experience with this setup? I know it is fairly new to the market but thought a few might have picked it up and used it over the winter. I have the MSR whisperlite and pocket rocket but like the idea of the whole "system" integrated together. I'm not looking so much for a debate between alcohol stoves and canister stoves but more personal experience with the windboiler. I have used both types of stoves over the years and find the canister stoves to just be quicker to use and less "work" than alcohol stoves. I try to DIY most of my gear but i'm tired of stopping for some lunch and having everyone else done and packed up before my food is even done. i find it to be worth the weight to carry a canister stove. Thanks!

I was looking at this stove as well but I don't see any major advantage over the MSR Meactor which seems to be a high wind monster if thats what you need. Not super light but not all that heavier than the heaviest Jetboils. I'm waiting to see some Jetboil Mightmo reviews.

Sirsnappy09
03-03-2015, 11:44
I don't have any experience but a friend has one. It us a lot like a jetboil
as far I can tell by checking it out.

pikapp513
03-04-2015, 09:47
I have the msr reactor. Same stove type. Boils water like a madman. So fast i have to have everything ready before boiling. And its windproof.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Butch_Lodi
03-04-2015, 10:00
Sectionhiker just reviewed the Windboiler and the results were so-so. However, I'm thinking of getting one myself and checked out the unit at REI. It's pretty heavy compared to my current setup, a Soto Microregulator with a MSR Titan kettle. That being said, in very windy conditions I've run the Soto inside my tent, which is asking for trouble. All of the Windboiler reviews I've seen have agreed this thing is impervious to the wind. Also, the fuel savings partially make up for the added weight. For me it comes down to; Do I buy one now or wait for a titanium version?