PDA

View Full Version : Need Help With a Rough Schedule

JaketheFake
03-03-2015, 15:27
Folks, I am going to attempt a thru hike starting April 1, 2016 and finish in late Sept/Oct. I am not going to try to schedule anything in between in terms of where I intend to be on what date other than say in Damascus for Tail Days I am sure as I get closer to me hike I will set some milestones as in regards to how to monitor progress, but...

Here is what I need now. I am going to attempt to raise money for a conservation group... something like pledges based on the total number of miles I walk (hopefully its 2,200!!!). I have been asked to produce a schedule. Now the folks on here know that you can't schedule this type of thing... but to get this "sold" does anyone have a rough milestone schedule that I can use for for this specific purpose. LOL... here is what I have so far:

April 1, 2016 start at Springer Mounter
May 14, 2016 Damascus, Virginia (Trail Days)
October 1, Finish (let's face it this is anyone's guess, but that puts it in a neat 6 month package)

So I have to come up with a rough idea as to where I might be in between May 15 and October 1

I would defiantely want to provide a time frame when I should be in Harper's Fairy.

Thanks. I guess this information could be used to help actually plan as well...?

Hangfire
03-03-2015, 15:40
I think Baltimore Jack has a pretty good thru hike planner on his website or blog, not sure which he has but saw lots of people on trail with the print out which looked really useful.

JaketheFake
03-03-2015, 15:42
I think Baltimore Jack has a pretty good thru hike planner on his website or blog, not sure which he has but saw lots of people on trail with the print out which looked really useful.

Thank you. I will see if I can track that down... I kinda figured this would be that easy.

JaketheFake
03-03-2015, 15:56
I was unable to find on his site? Anyone else with any suggestions?

RangerZ
03-03-2015, 17:35
Mapman's hiking rates article under hiker advice gives average where/when data

JaketheFake
03-03-2015, 18:23
I was coming on here to post that!

I found my data! AT Hiking Rates, Section by Section (AT Data and Schedules)by Map Man
Good stuff!!!!!!

map man
03-03-2015, 20:08
You probably already noticed that Table 4 in the Hiking Rates article has a hypothetical 6 month hike in it. Extrapolating those numbers to your starting date the "average" six month hiker schedule would look like this:

April 1 -- Springer GA
April 9 -- GA/NC Border
April 17 -- Fontana NC
May 14 -- Damascus VA
June 14 -- Waynesboro VA
June 26 -- Harpers Ferry WV
July 17 -- Delaware Water Gap PA
July 30 -- Kent CT
August 25 -- Glencliff NH
September 4 -- Gorham NH
September 15 -- Stratton ME
September 30 -- Katahdin ME

JaketheFake
03-04-2015, 00:31
Map Man, thank you.. I did use your data, but the above post makes it so much easier!!! My dates actually mirrored yours very closely! Thank you brother!!!!

hikeandbike5
03-04-2015, 01:30
Not a rough schedule at all. You'll make it with time to spare.

Just Bill
03-04-2015, 07:43
Looks like you got what you need mainly- this calculator will tell you how many miles per day PER SECTION so you can pace yourself.
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php/99086-How-long-will-it-take-me-to-hike-the-AT

Boo8meR
03-04-2015, 07:56
You can also look at AWOL's AT Guide page and he has 3 different schedules based on miles per day (12, 15, & 18 if I recall correctly) that shows ending points for each day and how many days it'd take to complete it.