PDA

View Full Version : What Camera to take? $2,000 Budget

susiegear
03-03-2015, 16:15
Hello, I am looking for the best camera to take on the trail. I am really into photography and am looking at making it into a small business after I get back from the trail in 2016. I have a budget of around 2K. My main preferences are the ability to shoot wide angle/ultra wide angle, durability, and weight. i have always shot with film and will be switching to digital so I am not too familiar with whats out there these days. I thought some of you might have some experience on the trail with your camera equipment. Thanks much!

Susie

Gray Bear
03-03-2015, 16:24
2K. I'd go with a Nikon D810, 10mm fisheye, 50mm 1.8 and 85 1.8. its not light but man it would give you some serious firepower! You would need some serious amount on memory too. Then again I'd just get a nice GoPro if in was my money

Hello, I am looking for the best camera to take on the trail. I am really into photography and am looking at making it into a small business after I get back from the trail in 2016. I have a budget of around 2K. My main preferences are the ability to shoot wide angle/ultra wide angle, durability, and weight. i have always shot with film and will be switching to digital so I am not too familiar with whats out there these days. I thought some of you might have some experience on the trail with your camera equipment. Thanks much!

Susie

Havana
03-03-2015, 16:35
And extra batteries and one or two chargers.

If I were to carry a DSLR on the trail I would also look at the Canon SL1. Small Camera. Pair it with an awesome lens like the Canon EF-S 17-55 and you got a very solid wide-angle to mid-range zoom on a cutting edge technology body. Don't skimp on lens quality. You should be able to get the body, lens, a couple of extra batteries all in for under your $2K budget.

That said, it's not a pro level camera but it also doesn't weigh what a pro-level camera weighs (and costs).

bigcranky
03-03-2015, 16:46
$2000 is more than I would spend on a trail camera system, and not at all enough to spend on a professional assignment photography business system. The two systems really aren't the same. :)

Speaking as someone who makes a living with a camera, I'd not want to carry a large kit for all kinds of reasons. Weight is one, of course, but there's also weather, accessibility, image quality, and other accessories like a tripod. That D810 suggested above is a great camera, but seriously requires a heavy duty tripod to take advantage of its high pixel count. Also, too, it's huge.

Features I would want in a serious trail camera:

Weather resistance, optical image stabilization, high ISO image quality, good lenses, large-ish sensor size, overall reasonable weight and size. I'd bring a fast general purpose zoom lens, and maybe a second telephoto zoom.

The Olympus OMD-EM1 meets all those features. The Olympus 12-40mm f/2.8 zoom is an excellent choice for a main lens. You can get both for about $2200. You'd of course need several spare batteries and a bunch of SD memory cards. If you're serious about the photos, you'll want to shoot raw files and they use a lot of space. This camera can be used as part of a professional system (you'd need a second camera and some additional lenses). I expect the total outlay to be $2500 or more.

Alternatively, the Panasonic LX100 has the same large sensor and a terrific fast zoom lens built into a compact body -- the lenses aren't interchangeable but it's still a serious picture taking machine. You'll save a lot of weight and complexity, and it costs under $1000. Save the rest for when you get back, as you'll need to spend money on all sorts of things to start a photo business. The LX100 is about 90% of the goodness of the Oly but at less than half the price. It would make an excellent trail camera and an everyday carry camera for a pro or serious enthusiast. (However, it's not designed for shooting professional assignments.)

If you haven't transitioned to digital imaging yet, then I would strongly suggest that you do so long before your hike. There's a lot to learn about image processing, archiving, etc. The actual shooting isn't all that different from film, but everything else is.

Mobius
03-03-2015, 16:51
A digital body that goes with your current collection of lenses (from your existing film cameras) would be my first recommendation. Buying new glass is expensive.

jawnzee
03-03-2015, 17:18
sony a7 looks crazy good. full frame sensor (larger than many/most dslrs, and is a crucial specification to look at when comparing cameras and their potential image quality) but still way smaller than a dslr. too expensive for me. but with a budget of $2000 for a trail-ready camera capable of producing very professional images, this should be the one.

you should also look at the sony rx100 iii. sure, it's a compact, but it's a really amazing compact.

Shutterbug
03-03-2015, 17:33

Susie

Before deciding on the camera, you need to answer a few key question:
1. How do you intend to carry the camera?
2. Do you intend to use multiple lens?
3. What is the maximum weight you will allow for all your camera gear?
4. Is taking pictures of wildlife an important goal?

My answer to those questions steers me in a different direction than some of the other advice.

Getting good pictures of wildlife is a important goal of mine. That means I can't carry my camera in the back pack. It has to be quickly available. That also means that I have a lens with telephoto capability.

I have found that changing lenses on a hike is a real pain. Carrying multiple lenses adds to the weight. It is really hard to keep dust out of your camera when changing lens on the trail. For that reason, I only carry one lens and don't change it on the trail. In my opinion, one can't beat the Nikon 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED AF-S VR DX lens. Once you chose the lens you will use, the camera body is a matter of personal choice. I personally use a Nikon D300, but I had it for a few years. There may be something better on the market now.

I experimented for years on the best way to carry my camera. Putting in the pack results in missing most wildlife shots. Carrying it in my hand prevented me from using two hiking poles. Hanging it around my neck on the camera strap causes my neck to hurt. The solution for me was to adapt a camera case so that it is suspended from my backpack straps and hangs in front.

fastfoxengineering
03-03-2015, 17:49
Make sure shooting photos is something you actually want to take seriously while your hiking. Consider your hike your full time job and then shooting professional quality images a part time job on top of that full time job. It'll get tiring, unless of course, you are able to take your sweet ass time on your thru hike.

Alot of people take nice cameras and want to capture everything, then after a few weeks get tired of doing it. It would really suck to buy a $2k camera and send it home.

I would bring the best compact camera out there. You can't get the very best professional quality images, but good enough to get your point across.

You'll still learn a ton about photography.

I've had people send me pictures that I've drooled over on my computer... then to have them tell me they took it with their iphone

think long and hard about this decision

Venchka
03-03-2015, 18:00
The Olympus OMD-EM1 meets all those features. The Olympus 12-40mm f/2.8 zoom is an excellent choice for a main lens. You can get both for about $2200. You'd of course need several spare batteries and a bunch of SD memory cards. If you're serious about the photos, you'll want to shoot raw files and they use a lot of space. This camera can be used as part of a professional system (you'd need a second camera and some additional lenses). I expect the total outlay to be $2500 or more.

RIGHT ON! A friend of mine has some HUGE enlargements (20x24) from his OMD-EM5 that are drop dead gorgeous. Naturally, my friend's talent:cool: had quite a bit to do with the quality of the photos. The Olympus 12 mm f/2.0 (24 mm equivalent on 35mm film) is one of the finest wide angle lenses I have seen. You could spend more, carry more weight and not have better equipment.
YMMV.

Wayne

susiegear
03-03-2015, 18:13
Thanks everyone for the suggestions! I have been doing photography for about 25 years now and have always taken my camera equipment on all of my trips which include bicycle touring, long distance canoe trips, and backpacking. I find that taking the time to take photos is very relaxing and very much a part of my trips. I have really been looking at the Olympus OMD-EM1 and the sony a7. The Panasonic LX100 is one that I have not read much about but i do like the compact idea(and the price). i will have to read up some more on that one. I am not too much into wildlife photos unless a good opportunity arises. i found that taking wildlife photos does take up too much of my time since in my experience, a lot of wildlife shots require sitting and waiting for the right shot. i am more interested in landscapes and things like that. i did buy a cheap compact digital a few years ago to start learning a bit about digital. It is a sony DSC-HX10V. Very basic but I wanted to learn the digital features and how to deal with the computer work that comes with digital. I will always prefer my old Film cameras but realize I need to get up with the times and do not want to be carrying so much film thru the humidity. Thanks again for all of your help!
Susie

Venchka
03-03-2015, 19:51
I still shoot 4x5 & medium format film. Then I scan the negatives and do a bit of tweaking in Lightroom. I use Microsoft ICE for stitching. I don't own Photoshop and see no need for it. If I buy any additional software, I will buy the Google Nik Collection.
I also own a Canon 1D Mk III. Overkill for my digital efforts. Alas, it has become a relic. It isn't worth enough to sell it.
One of these days I will buy a mirrorless body (Sony or Olympus) and put my rangefinder lenses to good use.
Good luck! My favorite negatives were shot on a backpacking trip with a Pentax 6x7. Mentioning carrying The Beast to 13,000 feet in Colorado sends the youngsters into A-fib.

Wayne

susiegear
03-03-2015, 20:30
Venchka- I'd love to see some of those medium format shots! I'm glad to see another who still believes in film.

Slo-go'en
03-03-2015, 20:40
I'm convinced that taking a great photo is 1% camera and 99% being at the right place at the right time and knowing how to compose the shot.

On a thru hike your always on the move. You get to a vista, snap a picture or two and move on. You don't have time to wait around for just the right lighting or weather or critter to come along. Sometimes your are at the right place at the right time but mostly you take what you can get at the moment.

Therefore, having a camera which is quick to access, easy to use and is reasonably light but of decent quality should be sufficient. The little shirt pocket cameras today take amazingly good photos. I only wish I had some kind of uV filter as the sky is often washed out.

iAmKrzys
03-03-2015, 21:35
I have a Sony a6000 ($700 with 16-55 power lens or $550 for body only) that I coupled with 18-200 mm lens SEL18200LE ($850). Camera + lens + battery weighs just under 1 lb 14 oz (I hesitated about the weight a lot but eventually came to accept it :).) For carrying it I got a cheap Case Logic SHC-101-BK DSLR Day Holster (small) and mounted it fairly high on my pack left strap using velcro. This gives me pretty quick access to the camera and only marginally gets in the way of my left hand. The holster is not waterproof so I also carry a ziplock bag inside the holster in case it rains. I also got a set of two extra Wasabi Power batteries with charger. Between the 3 batteries I lasted a week of backpacking with descent amount of picture taking. Here is a sample taken a Rae Lakes looking north (downsized for the Web):

You may also want consider reading some camera reviews on sites like dpreview before you part with your money...

swonut
03-03-2015, 22:05
I'd look at two cameras. A full DSLR featured Cannon G15 or the older G12 and pair it with a small external flash and remote shutter release (only a few grams and relatively cheap). I'd also go for a waterproof camera to capture the days that it's rainy and wet out and a GOpro for the time-lapse video and maybe some interviews of the folks you meet. I'd then highly recommend an ultra-pod to give you the ability to have a small, light tripod. Pair that with a Stick-pic for unusual angles. Pair it up with a universal battery charger so you don't have to carry three chargers. Then use the left over money to buy down your total pack weight so you can carry the extra photo gear. I found the ALOKSAK bag is much better than ziplocks over the long haul as it's pretty expensive to have to buy a box of freezer bags when you only need one or two.

Venchka
03-04-2015, 09:41
Venchka- I'd love to see some of those medium format shots! I'm glad to see another who still believes in film.

I still believe. In the near future, I'll be free to devote more time to silver based media.

Please excuse the mess. My online galleries need work.

Backpacking in what is now the Holy Cross Wilderness, Colorado. Pentax 6x7, 105mm/2.4 Super Takumar, Plus-X. Y'all remember Plus-X, right? Kodachorme and Plus-X were/are my favorite, departed, lamented emulsions.
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/venchka/rocks-clouds/

Europe with a Mamiya C-220 and Canon IV-S2 with Agfa and Plus-X film.
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/venchka/Europe-1969_001/

A mix of 4x5, 6x7 and 35mm film. A digital image or two as well.
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/venchka/cemeteries/

Holmesville, MS.
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/venchka/Door/

Hodgepodge of formats.
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/venchka/Rural+Texas+Project/

Thanks for looking.

Wayne

Venchka
03-04-2015, 09:56
I'm convinced that taking a great photo is 1% camera and 99% being at the right place at the right time and knowing how to compose the shot.

On a thru hike your always on the move. You get to a vista, snap a picture or two and move on. You don't have time to wait around for just the right lighting or weather or critter to come along. Sometimes your are at the right place at the right time but mostly you take what you can get at the moment.

Therefore, having a camera which is quick to access, easy to use and is reasonably light but of decent quality should be sufficient. The little shirt pocket cameras today take amazingly good photos. I only wish I had some kind of uV filter as the sky is often washed out.

Taken on the move. Bamboo hiking staff (Thanks, Mr. Fletcher) as monopod. Exposure by guess & by gosh. 1768 grams of Pentax 6x7 & 105mm lens.

http://gallery.leica-users.org/d/119091-3/Fall+Creek+Pass+Rocks+_amp_+Clouds-1.jpg

http://gallery.leica-users.org/d/152587-3/Colorado+Holy+Cross003-1.jpg

For the record, I was carrying a 2 1/2 pound frameless backpack which I still own and can still be purchased today from Rivendell Mountain Works. We carried an 8x10 blue tarp for shelter. Ultralight in the mid-70s.

Wayne

Odd Man Out
03-04-2015, 11:32
I still shoot 4x5 & medium format film. Then I scan the negatives and do a bit of tweaking in Lightroom. I use Microsoft ICE for stitching. I don't own Photoshop and see no need for it. If I buy any additional software, I will buy the Google Nik Collection.
I also own a Canon 1D Mk III. Overkill for my digital efforts. Alas, it has become a relic. It isn't worth enough to sell it.
One of these days I will buy a mirrorless body (Sony or Olympus) and put my rangefinder lenses to good use.
Good luck! My favorite negatives were shot on a backpacking trip with a Pentax 6x7. Mentioning carrying The Beast to 13,000 feet in Colorado sends the youngsters into A-fib.

Wayne

Something like this? I just have a point and shoot. But this is my favorite picture of a guy taking a picture. (near Bright Angel Point)

Connie
03-04-2015, 12:53
Venchka, thank you for sharing.

Inspires me to bring out my Leica M3.

How I love Ilford XP-1 for B&W and Fujifilm for all the many green colors in nature.

My Fujifilm Finepix F550EXR with GPS 15x zoom 24mm wide has a setting for Fujifilm.

I don't know $2,000 will get you a Leaf digital back. They have rentals at Adolph Gasser, San Francisco, CA.

Hint: think the light ratio brightest with detail to darkest with detail and getting it all on the straight portion of the "film curve" and your B&W will look like the best of Ansel Adams.

My B&W was C-41 process Ilford XP-1.

Venchka
03-04-2015, 14:42
Something like this? I just have a point and shoot. But this is my favorite picture of a guy taking a picture. (near Bright Angel Point)

Someday. Maybe. That might be me.

Wayne

Venchka
03-04-2015, 14:43
Connie,
You're welcome.

Wayne

Tundracamper
03-04-2015, 18:03
Is your main goal to hike or to take photos? I run a small photo business and take photos on the trail. That being said, if you are hiking long distances, a small camera is your friend. I would suggest a high-end point and shoot that takes RAW images. That will allow you more editing flexibility on the back end - and save your other back end from getting tired! I'd probably suggest leaving the DSLR at home.

Slo-go'en
03-04-2015, 18:48
I should think about putting my old Olympus XA 35mm back into service. For a shirt pocket 35mm, it took some really nice photos. I switched to digital just so I could take a whole lot more shots and not worry about film.

Connie
03-04-2015, 20:46
My Fujifilm Finepix F550EXR with GPS 15x zoom, starting at 24mm wide has a setting for Fujifilm gets RAW, however you will need to use their own software downloaded at their website.

RED-DOG
03-05-2015, 12:30
If it was me i would get the "sony SLT-A99V" right now you will save $200 if you bundle it with the lens SEL55210 but if not the camera will cost $1,999.99 but like i say you can save $200 if you get the lens.

Neemor
03-07-2015, 11:28
Have you looked into the Sony A7s? Those seem pretty sweet and lightweight. But you would need to get 150gbs of sd cards easily. And 3 or 4 batteries. But the take great photos and videos.

Neemor
03-07-2015, 11:29
Also take a look at this:
http://www.trail-pix.com/products/universal-trailpix-with-standard-ballhead

I just found out about these and it seems to be a great tripod solution. (If you carry trekking pokes)

Cadenza
03-09-2015, 22:52
I'm not a shutterbug but I sure would like to have one of those small point and shoot Leica offerings. :banana

Venchka
03-10-2015, 00:08
I'm not a shutterbug but I sure would like to have one of those small point and shoot Leica offerings. :banana

Buy the Panasonic clone. Fund your thru hike with the change.
My Olympus friends and I are anxiously awaiting the arrival of the 64 megapixel Olympus. If it is significantly better than the current model, I might have to buy one. And the Canon and Leica to Olympus adapters.

Wayne

colorado_rob
03-10-2015, 09:51
If you're firm about a DSLR, another vote for the Canon SL1 (APS-C sensor). I have and use both that and a full-frame Canon, and I really have a hard time easily spotting the overall difference in image quality. The real benefit of the full frame is the ability to shoot high ISO's with much less noise. I have made damn-sharp enlargements up to 20x30 with this little DSLR.

The Canon SL1 is maybe the lightest APS-C sensor size DSLR out there, or at least close. It is going these days for just over $300.

I simply cannot hike well with my full-frame Canon, that extra pound-plus in the camera body feels like a boat anchor.

As far as lenses, I carry and use the relatively new, cheap and excellent Canon 10-18mm which is equivalent to 16-27mm on a full frame NICE and wide. I also carry a Canon 24mm (38mm equiv, perfect "normal" lens IMHO) most of the time, sometimes a 50mm (80mm equiv) and when I expect wildlife, a Canon 70-300mm (300mm = 480mm, really nice and long).

As a side note, because I have a gorgeous 4x5 sitting in my closet (a Takahara clone) and a trio of excellent large format lenses (Nikkor 90, 125 and 210mm's), I simple cannot wait for a reasonably priced 4x5 digital camera back!!!! (I have tried many years ago to backpack with my 4x5, but man those film holders get heavy....)

Francis Sawyer
03-10-2015, 10:05
If you are really into photography and planning to do it as a business shouldn't you KNOW what good equipment is and not have to ask a bunch of hiker trash? I'm not hating but if you plan on investing in a business...

susiegear
03-10-2015, 10:13
If you are really into photography and planning to do it as a business shouldn't you KNOW what good equipment is and not have to ask a bunch of hiker trash? I'm not hating but if you plan on investing in a business...

As i stated in the OP I am VERY familiar with FILM cameras but not so much with digital. i have been selling some photos for the last few years while using FILM cameras. I am asking about using DIGITAL cameras on the TRAIL. if you had no worthwhile response, why respond at all? i'm not hating, just curious.

susiegear
03-10-2015, 10:17
to everyone else, thank you very much for the responses. I am doing some more research on a couple of different models that have been recommended by you all. trying to decide between a full DSLR or something smaller with less lens options.

colorado_rob
03-10-2015, 10:37
Here's an article on the Canon SL1:

http://www.kenrockwell.com/canon/rebel-sl1.htm

By Ken Rockwell; some hate him, some love him, I think his write-ups are decent and honest. This little gem is really not much, if any heavier than the mirrorless APS-C sensor cameras out there, and fairly close in weight to the half-frame sized systems (like the Olympus) but has a larger sensor than those. It's 14 ounces. Canon also recently release a teeny-tiny very light 4 ounce 24mm lens for it, and already have a teeny-tiny 4-ounce 40mm lens for it. You can develop a really lightweight system (for a big-sized sensor camera, that is) with the SL1 body, very easy to backpack with.

One more point then I'll shut up about it: I do not like the kit 18-55mm lens that usually comes with it. I'd opt for the 17-55 mentioned below or just go with a couple/few primes (like the 24 and 40mm) and the 10-18mm zoom for the ultra-wide end. If you want a long zoom as well, the 55-250mm is very light for that much "throw", and the image quality seems to be decent, though less so than the heavier 70-300mm (I did some side-by-side tests of my lenses).

Francis Sawyer
03-10-2015, 11:43
I should explain. I,ve been in the position to see lots of good folks lose lots of money getting into businesses and make mistakes because they were "hobbyists" and not business types. A really good tip is to work for somebody else in the field in which you intend to open your business BEFORE you invest your money in your business. You may find that the hobby is no longer fun when it's a job.

Lyle
03-10-2015, 15:35
Last summer I chose a Richo GR to take to the JMT instead of my D5100. Must say, I was thoroughly satisfied with the creative control, ease of use, and extremely compact size/weight. APS-C size sensor, raw files, excellent lens.

Venchka
03-24-2015, 08:06
The Olympus OMD-EM5 Mk II is now shipping from B&H. There are deals on lenses. One of the 12-Something Olympus zoom lenses would be fine on the AT. Under budget if you don't get too carried away with the lens. 12mm on this camera = 24mm in 35mm film speak. Sufficiently wide for landscapes & interiors.
Weatherproofing
Small
Light
5 axis IN CAMERA image stabilization. No need to pay for stabilization with every lens. Stabilization works with ALL legacy lenses from any maker.
Small
Light
16 megapixels conventional sensor
40 megapixels with sensor shifting
Small
Light
Weatherproof
You could do worse.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?gclid=COOv-8P4wMQCFQgtaQodIoUATg&is=REG&sku=1116759&Q=&O=&A=details

Wayne