PDA

View Full Version : Cohutta Wilderness

stir crazy
03-03-2015, 16:45
I'm going to do a loop hike in the Cohutta Wilderness starting this Saturday. It will involve 3 crossings on the Jacks River. I've done this hike before during the fall, but was wondering if anyone has crossed Jack's River in the winter after rainfall. Looks like rain for the next couple days ending Friday morning. I'm hoping that the level will drop substantially by Saturday afternoon, or possible Sunday morning if necessary. The first crossing is by Penitentiary Branch and the next two are above the falls where you cross over to Hickory Ridge Trail. Any thoughts?

Treehugger
03-04-2015, 19:31
I'm going to do a loop hike in the Cohutta Wilderness starting this Saturday. It will involve 3 crossings on the Jacks River. I've done this hike before during the fall, but was wondering if anyone has crossed Jack's River in the winter after rainfall. Looks like rain for the next couple days ending Friday morning. I'm hoping that the level will drop substantially by Saturday afternoon, or possible Sunday morning if necessary. The first crossing is by Penitentiary Branch and the next two are above the falls where you cross over to Hickory Ridge Trail. Any thoughts?

I suggest you call Blue Ridge Ranger District at (706) 745-6928 and get current info from a FS ranger. Be careful and have a great time. One of my favorites places.

ChrisJackson
03-04-2015, 20:25

stir crazy...hope you get to go! Would you mind a brief trip report when you return? I'd love to get the particulars. I've never been in the Cohutta Wilderness but would love to put that on my short list. I've done some internet searching but haven't found the one thing I can point my finger at and say, "Bam! That's what I'm going to do".

Malto
03-04-2015, 20:27
Where's TiPi????? This is his turf.

TNhiker
03-04-2015, 22:43
ive been in that area but havent done the crossings..........

and from what i would think----i wouldnt do that crossing after this rain that we are going to get.......

stir crazy
03-05-2015, 08:50
I've got a back up plan if Jack's River is too high to cross. I'm hoping it will lower considerably by Sunday morning. If not, I'll backtrack and head up towards Big Frog.
For those interested in a great 30+/- loop hike, here's the details: Park at Buddy Gap and take the Pinhoti Trail and hang a right onto the BMT. The BMT runs into Hemp Top Tr where you can connect onto Penitentiary Branch TR. That takes you down to Jack's River Trail where you camp by the river the first night. From there, it's 3 river crossings to the Hickory Ridge TR which heads up to the East Cowpen Trail. Take E. Cowpen to Panther Creek Falls TR and camp at the top of the falls the 2nd night. And then back up to E. Cowpen until it dead ends at the FS road. That leaves a 2 mile hike on the FS road back to Buddy Gap.

ChrisJackson
03-05-2015, 10:42
I've got a back up plan if Jack's River is too high to cross. I'm hoping it will lower considerably by Sunday morning. If not, I'll backtrack and head up towards Big Frog.
For those interested in a great 30+/- loop hike, here's the details: Park at Buddy Gap and take the Pinhoti Trail and hang a right onto the BMT. The BMT runs into Hemp Top Tr where you can connect onto Penitentiary Branch TR. That takes you down to Jack's River Trail where you camp by the river the first night. From there, it's 3 river crossings to the Hickory Ridge TR which heads up to the East Cowpen Trail. Take E. Cowpen to Panther Creek Falls TR and camp at the top of the falls the 2nd night. And then back up to E. Cowpen until it dead ends at the FS road. That leaves a 2 mile hike on the FS road back to Buddy Gap.

Sounds awesome stir crazy! Thanks for the detailing. Logging the info now for the future. Probably ~30 days from now.

TNhiker
03-05-2015, 11:15
im planning on spending a bunch of time down that way this year, if things work out.....

really interested to hear how the trails fared after these storms.....

id be prepared to do alot of crawling and what not to get over and around blowdowns.....

also, that campsite at the falls----great views from up there...

hopefully it will be clear cause i think the moon is going to be close to full....

i was up there july 4th and from the falls, watched the sunset and then fireworks off in the distance..........

have fun..........

stir crazy
03-05-2015, 18:38
Yeah, that's a good point tnhiker. That last storm brought down a lot of limbs and small trees. I'm pretty sure this new storm will do some damage also. It could be an obstacle course. I think I'll let my son lead:)