PDA

View Full Version : How to find a wife for hiking for the next 20 years?

watcher2015
03-03-2015, 22:51
It is the most active or one of the most active hiking forums that I could find. That's why I decided to ask my question here. (I'm not looking here for travel companions. So, please don't move this topic to the secеion for searching travel buddies. I'm just asking for opinions.)

I plan to turn hiking into central stream of my life for the next 20 years. Each year I plan to spend from 1 up to 6 months for hiking. Planned routes cover almost the whole world, except the most dangerous tropical regions, because it is planned to make kids during the same next 20 years.

By now I have already general travel experience over several tens countries on several continents. And some relatively small experience of hiking in different altitudes in different conditions in different types of mountains.

So I'm looking for a wife who would have plans in following the same nomadic lifestyle (with hiking as central stream of such lifestyle) for the next 20 years as I do.

Problems:
1. I'm not a very social person. I always travel/hike alone. And I do not plan to change my habits cardinally.
2. It is planned to hike/travel together with kids. So my future wife should be psychologically ready for such long hikes with having kids in backpack etc.
3. My future wife also should have semi-freelancing/semi-business sources of income as I do to be available for such travels.

I know such advice as "search in the process of travelling/hiking" - in fact it does not work well.
And I know such solution as "reach your personal limit, and you will find there all you want".

However I would prefer to hear some more practical advices. Maybe stories from some people etc.

Thanks.

ryjohnson09
03-03-2015, 23:06
Sounds like you should start looking for your "future wife" on the trail. I also very envious but dumfounded that you can plan 20 years in advance. I think regardless, just let life play out and you'll be sure to find someone special on the way.

MuddyWaters
03-03-2015, 23:08
Ive met several promising wife prospects on trails.
If only I wasnt already married.....

canoe
03-03-2015, 23:15
It is the most active or one of the most active hiking forums that I could find. That's why I decided to ask my question here. (I'm not looking here for travel companions. So, please don't move this topic to the secеion for searching travel buddies. I'm just asking for opinions.)

I plan to turn hiking into central stream of my life for the next 20 years. Each year I plan to spend from 1 up to 6 months for hiking. Planned routes cover almost the whole world, except the most dangerous tropical regions, because it is planned to make kids during the same next 20 years.

By now I have already general travel experience over several tens countries on several continents. And some relatively small experience of hiking in different altitudes in different conditions in different types of mountains.

So I'm looking for a wife who would have plans in following the same nomadic lifestyle (with hiking as central stream of such lifestyle) for the next 20 years as I do.

Problems:
1. I'm not a very social person. I always travel/hike alone. And I do not plan to change my habits cardinally.
2. It is planned to hike/travel together with kids. So my future wife should be psychologically ready for such long hikes with having kids in backpack etc.
3. My future wife also should have semi-freelancing/semi-business sources of income as I do to be available for such travels.

I know such advice as "search in the process of travelling/hiking" - in fact it does not work well.
And I know such solution as "reach your personal limit, and you will find there all you want".

However I would prefer to hear some more practical advices. Maybe stories from some people etc.

Thanks.
www.loveme.com/tour/nizhniy-novgorod try here
www.eharmony.com
Good luck

4eyedbuzzard
03-03-2015, 23:26
I plan to turn hiking into central stream of my life for the next 20 years. Each year I plan to spend from 1 up to 6 months for hiking. Planned routes cover almost the whole world, except the most dangerous tropical regions, because it is planned to make kids during the same next 20 years. . . .So I'm looking for a wife who would have plans in following the same nomadic lifestyle (with hiking as central stream of such lifestyle) for the next 20 years as I do.

Problems:

You are probably going to have to work a bit on the social thing. If you are then lucky and find a woman with a similar agenda, and "make kids" as planned, you will quickly learn about the joys of having children. And their needs. And how having small children fits in with a nomadic lifestyle.:rolleyes: On the plus side, after 30 posts, you can sell a lot of your used gear here to buy diapers.;)

Nodust
03-03-2015, 23:39
I think there is a Buying Gear section here somewhere.

Good luck

fiddlehead
03-04-2015, 00:05
I doubt that it is much different in Russia as it is in the US.
If you want to find a woman with similar interests, you need to go put yourself in that environment.
If you like to travel, then travel, don't look for one at a church bazaar.

If you really want an open minded girl, try going to some rainbow festivals, or music festivals (there's a big international one on Borneo every year in July I believe it is).
Other ideas: organic farms, barter fairs, and yes, thru-hikers is not a bad place to put yourself to find someone.

But, finding the perfect woman is something we all have been looking for. I doubt you'll find her.

Fireonwindcsr
03-04-2015, 00:16
Hmmmmm
AppalachianMatch.com

enjoy your time to yourself. If something happens... hey!

Hangfire
03-04-2015, 01:13
Find a Swiss woman, they love long walks and are as practical as can be!

Gray Bear
03-04-2015, 05:42
Mail order Russian Bride perhaps?

Recently I had a conversation with my wife that started with her asking me if It bothered me that she has no desire to come with me on my trips to which I replied not at all. Granted I'm not gone for months at a time but she has no issues with my trips that are usually a week or less so it works out well.

Not to be a buzz kill or anything but as a parent I can tell you things will change radically when children arrive. Your priorities and perspectives may change dramatically. They did for me at least. BC (Before Children) I was on the go 12 months a year, 9 months hang gliding, 3 months snowboarding and when my daughter showed up there wasn't anything I wanted more than to be home with her. the change was radical and I loved (and still love) it! My advise is chase every adventure you possibly can and when the time is right it will happen. Until then don't sweat it. Enjoy the freedom of being single and flexible enough to seize every opportunity for adventure.

Acacia
03-04-2015, 05:46
Do you want to hike for only 20 years or a wife for only 20 years? What happens after 20 years?

You might want to try looking up international hiking clubs on the web. The Sierra Club probably has planned hikes all over the world.

Please keep us posted :)

brancher
03-04-2015, 07:12
I see you are from Russia. There are a milllion Russian brides all over the internet........

PilotB
03-04-2015, 08:12
Look for someone in your area of semi-freelancing/semi-business sources of income. I have found the most women I know "nest" into a house when starting a family....one of my copilots went from living the dream of life aboard a sailboat in California to firm entrenchment into suburbia (like me ad my wife), and she wont go back.

daddytwosticks
03-04-2015, 08:15
Wife and family overrides any hiking aspiration. That's just me.

Starchild
03-04-2015, 08:34
You are probably going to have to work a bit on the social thing. If you are then lucky and find a woman with a similar agenda, and "make kids" as planned, you will quickly learn about the joys of having children. And their needs. And how having small children fits in with a nomadic lifestyle.:rolleyes: On the plus side, after 30 posts, you can sell a lot of your used gear here to buy diapers.;)

I do agree with it may be time to work on the social thing. As I read your post (the OP), there are signs and red flags of some deep rooted issues that need to be brought to the surface to be dealt with healed and resolved. One big tell tail sign is you are asking for a specific fairly tail ending. Not saying you can not get it, but it is a sign that you will resist anything outside your comfort range.

But outside your comfort range is where it is likely to happen, pushing you along just like the blazes of the trail and lead you to a better place.

Your job type and your desire to be alone also point to something that might need healing and you appear to be dealing with it with basically a lets restart the world and leave the old world behind approach. Wanting a new start is great, however their may be better ways to accomplish this.

Good Luck

BonBon
03-04-2015, 09:01
Good thing I didn't read this 30 years ago! I would have definitely tried to meet you. I had very similar plans and desires for my life. Then I met and married a very structured, academic, stay home kind of guy. I got him out a bit and he got me home a bit. So glad that happened- balance is a wonderful thing! Good luck! I hope you meet your kindred spirit out there.

Pedaling Fool
03-04-2015, 09:07
http://www.real-wishes.com/

Frye
03-04-2015, 09:18
I see you are from Russia. There are a milllion Russian brides all over the internet........

There's a reason there's a "million Russian brides all over the internet". Can you imagine the disappointment when one of em discovers where their prospective groom is from?

Really I'm just assuming there's a million Russian brides on the net and the reasons for it. I don't really know. The imagined scene in my head of when she finds out the interested party is a block away was pretty funny though.

soulrebel
03-04-2015, 09:44
If you try to take any person on these trips, you'll find them complaining. If you take a spouse, you can be guaranteed it will be outright annoying as much as it is enjoyable. It sounds like your doing just fine on your own. If you want to hike, keep hiking. However, if you seek a wife and children...well that's completely different than hiking and having adventures on your own. Most people don't want to be outdoors six months a year, especially people with children. Also children need to be around other kids so they don't grow up to be unsociable. And once you have children, you realize that you can never give them enough of yourself or resources for living. Most of the time you will be faced with getting those resources. If you already have a million dollars and a home, then you might be able to continue to hike, but you will find that your wife resents being left with raising your children while you walk around. You think they will go with you, and they will some of the time, but many times you will find the responsibilities of life have you too busy or too tired to go very far from the home. You will begin to look like your father. Planning, saving, worrying about the future. Hiking will come again if you survive the work of having a family and still have the fortitude to do it. GL out there.

watcher2015
03-04-2015, 11:19
About travelling with kids. (I see many answers point that it is almost impossible.)
I definitely have not such experience yet.
But I have read a couple of great books that cover this topic almost completely.
So everything is much more simple than it looks. Although certainly it depends on place of living and background of parents. (As I understand, in mainland US society such lifestyle really would be more complex than in second world - just because more developed societies have much more strict rules on "how family with kids should live and behave in socially acceptable way.")

Check these books in Amazon or another book store if you are interested:
"Babes in the Woods" Jennifer Aist,
"Travels with Baby" Shelly Rivoli.

OCDave
03-04-2015, 13:20
.....I know such advice as "search in the process of travelling/hiking" - in fact it does not work well....

How do you know this does not work well? Where else do you think this potential spouse would be other than on a trail?

I would point out that you don't consider yourself very social and also do not plan to change. As relationships are social and require significant give and take, perhaps you should get comfortable with a bachelor's life. Nothing will screw up a 20-year plan like a wife and kids.

Dasvidania

yerbyray
03-04-2015, 13:21
Try Craigslist.com there is something there for everybody.

4eyedbuzzard
03-04-2015, 13:28
About travelling with kids. (I see many answers point that it is almost impossible.)
I definitely have not such experience yet.
But I have read a couple of great books that cover this topic almost completely.
So everything is much more simple than it looks. Although certainly it depends on place of living and background of parents. (As I understand, in mainland US society such lifestyle really would be more complex than in second world - just because more developed societies have much more strict rules on "how family with kids should live and behave in socially acceptable way.")

Check these books in Amazon or another book store if you are interested:
"Babes in the Woods" Jennifer Aist,
"Travels with Baby" Shelly Rivoli.Well, you did pose this question on a U.S. based website, so you should expect replies reflecting U.S. cultural norms and experiences. And I assume you are not planning to live like a refugee. While Russian culture obviously differs from that of the U.S., you don't live in a third world country. I'm pretty sure most of your peers probably think your plan is a bit unlikely as well.

FWIW, my wife and I raised four children roughly 2 years apart each. We traveled quite a bit with them, but not by foot other than day hikes when they were very young. The six of us (children's ages 5,7,9,11) spent three summer months in a pop-up (tent) trailer, traveling and camping cross country while relocating. We had spent another eight weeks the year before in the same trailer touring the National Parks in the western U.S. And as fun as it was, the logistics of everything from dealing with the weather, cooking, eating, shopping, cleaning, laundry, bathing, etc. is much more difficult with such a limited "home." It would be near impossible on foot. Hiking and trekking any distance or length of time with young children just isn't a very realistic vision. Carrying babies/toddlers in a pack isn't a viable option for more than a day or so if you also have to carry both their and your other gear, however lightweight those may be. Even after they are of walking age, children tire quite easily, and are more susceptible to injury than adults.

I started my kids hiking overnights of 3 to 4 miles on easy terrain at age 5, with them carrying just a bit of their own gear, typically their sleeping bag and perhaps some clothing. I carried mine and the bulk of theirs. That's about their limit both physically and from an attention standpoint at that age. We moved up to slightly longer and more challenging 2 night hikes as they got older. It wasn't until they were about 12 that they were able to function as equals, carry all their own gear plus common gear, and act as "young adults" on longer more difficult hikes.

I caution you, it will be extremely difficult to do any serious hiking with babies or very young children. Until you live it, you just don't understand the challenges and logistics. I would imagine that many others share my experience. The first ten years or so when you start a family is just not conducive to doing a lot of serious hiking. And I would venture that this would be true in Russia as well.

I do wish you the best of fortune in meeting a nice young lady. Perhaps you should focus more on how much you simply like being with a woman who might be a good wife, and a loving companion for life, rather than how she fits into a list of your hiking goals. There is a lot more to life than hiking. Those who seek unrealistic partners often wind up very lonely, a fate likely worse than not hiking.

Wülfgang
03-04-2015, 13:49
Hey everyone where can I find a wife who is 5'4", 120 lbs, has a C-cup bust, will hike the AT, PCT, CDT, and LT with me (but only southbound on the LT); also she needs to cook a flawless eggplant parm with a canister stove and drop everything on a dime when im ready to hike....she needs to be financially independent and have no binding career ties...oh and she should be orthodox Christian but not TOO religious if you know what I mean, and preferably willing to have 3 kids and cart them along with us. Oh and also she needs to have bright auburn hair but not be a TRUE redhead. Like that rusty autumn maple leaf color. Know what I mean?

Anyone know where I can find one of those?

4eyedbuzzard
03-04-2015, 13:53
Hey everyone where can I find a wife who is 5'4", 120 lbs, has a C-cup bust, will hike the AT, PCT, CDT, and LT with me (but only southbound on the LT); also she needs to cook a flawless eggplant parm with a canister stove and drop everything on a dime when im ready to hike....she needs to be financially independent and have no binding career ties...oh and she should be orthodox Christian but not TOO religious if you know what I mean, and preferably willing to have 3 kids and cart them along with us. Oh and also she needs to have bright auburn hair but not be a TRUE redhead. Like that rusty autumn maple leaf color. Know what I mean?

Anyone know where I can find one of those?Yep. Just close your eyes, count 40 sheep, and before you know it she'll be running into your arms. In slow motion. On the beach.

DavidNH
03-04-2015, 14:53
anyone wanna place bets on how long it'll be till this thread is moved to the humor forum? I mean.. a Russian looking to Marry, millions of Russian Brides on the internet, he wants to spend life hiking, I see so many possibilities here! But I'll keep my nose clean and let you guys do the roasting.

Seatbelt
03-04-2015, 17:25
Hook this guy up with Minnesota Smith for tips on how to accomplish this goal. LOL

rocketsocks
03-04-2015, 18:22
anyone wanna place bets on how long it'll be till this thread is moved to the humor forum? I mean.. a Russian looking to Marry, millions of Russian Brides on the internet, he wants to spend life hiking, I see so many possibilities here! But I'll keep my nose clean and let you guys do the roasting.
like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rXhXLsNJL8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rXhXLsNJL8

msumax1985
03-04-2015, 18:35
I think there is a Buying Gear section here somewhere.

Good luck

Laughed out loud at this one!

Sounds like a real cultural difference in Russia vs US. It really sounds like he's shopping for a used piece of gear. But then again, as Tina Turner once said, "What's love got to do with it?". As long as she has her own independent income, is willing to make babies with him, then haul them around on her back, all while not speaking to him unless he happens to be in a sociable mood. Can't believe he doesn't have a line around the block yet! :rolleyes:

NY HIKER 50
03-04-2015, 19:49

Joys? You can keep em. It sounds more like a ball and chain to me. Your freedom will be gone when you have to start changing those diapers. When little Johnny or Janie starts getting the sniffles on the trail it's time to go home. Don't forget to carry the formula, the stuff for diaper rash and all the other assorted baby paraphernalia.:rolleyes:

Rolls Kanardly
03-05-2015, 11:31

Probably not in CO.

atraildreamer
03-05-2015, 13:26
What will really happen if you move to the US: :D :banana

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1Z91YkPatw

NY HIKER 50
03-05-2015, 23:14

Acccording to scientists, the red hair gene is disappearing. That means that most redheads now come out of a bottle. Once the little poop machines start showing up, it's the end of traveling.

I really believe that the person that started this thread intended this as a joke. Anyway, I haven't been caught yet. I;m able to come and go as I please.

NY HIKER 50
03-06-2015, 11:18
Now it's time for a reality check. No more fooling around from me. This guy is in supposedly from Russia. He probably wants to come to the U.S. He is looking for a wife here. I think that's called a "Marriage of Convenience". That is almost my last saying on this one. Again, I'm not a troll. I'm a realist.

OCDave
03-06-2015, 12:55
Now it's time for a reality check. No more fooling around from me. This guy is in supposedly from Russia. He probably wants to come to the U.S. He is looking for a wife here. I think that's called a "Marriage of Convenience". That is almost my last saying on this one. Again, I'm not a troll. I'm a realist.

Granted the OP is likely not genuine however, unless I overlooked it, there was never any suggestion that he was trying to come to the US nor that he was seeking a US bride. Sorry NY HIKER 50 but, you cannot make things up then call yourself a "realist".

NY HIKER 50
03-06-2015, 14:52
I got the impression it was implied. If he was really looking for a Russian bride he would not have been posting here. Maybe I didn't make this up.

OCDave
03-06-2015, 16:14
It is the most active or one of the most active hiking forums that I could find. That's why I decided to ask my question here. (I'm not looking here for travel companions. So, please don't move this topic to the secеion for searching travel buddies. I'm just asking for opinions.)...

Doesn't imply US immigration or bride, only that this is a forum of like minded individuals.

rocketsocks
03-06-2015, 17:44
Acccording to scientists, the red hair gene is disappearing. That means that most redheads now come out of a bottle. Once the little poop machines start showing up, it's the end of traveling.

I really believe that the person that started this thread intended this as a joke. Anyway, I haven't been caught yet. I;m able to come and go as I please.Sorry to hear this...I love RED HEADS.

You actually kinda hit the proverbial nail on the head, in as much as. If a women wants to get caught she can, all she has to do is stop walkin' Same goes for a man...kinda, only in this case he lowers his standards. I think the OP needs to lower his standards of expectation, might end up being happier in the long run, marriage is give and take, not take and then expect and take more.

watcher2015
03-06-2015, 19:42

I asked my question here with a purpose to get some opinion from a "typical long-distance hiker". Ideally from a "typical long-distance lady-hiker".

The key point is that there is not any "typical Russian long-distance hikers". (Because there is no well-established long-distance hikes on the territory of Russia.) And (considering that there is no similar European forum like this one) there is not even "typical European long-distance hiker".
Long-distance hiking is very unique hobby outside of US. It is a hobby of a very small amount of so-called "strange people", "people with particularities".

That's why the only way to get opinions on my life plans from "typical long-distance hikers" is to ask them here - on US forum, because in US long-distance hiking is well-established part of "mass culture".

(I'm not planning to come to live to US due to many circumstances. Even if I would be able to do it accidentally. Relax. :) )

watcher2015
03-06-2015, 21:03
In any case the whole process of communication on this forum made me come to the conclusion that schedule of travels will be done approximately in the following way:

1. One 6-month long-distance hike made by me alone or in the period of initial relationships with future wife.
2. One 6 month long-distance hike in the period when our kids (from 0.5 up to 2-3 years old) can be moved on our backs inside backpacks and/or in jogging trolleys.
3. One 6-month long-distance hike in the period when our kids will be around 10-13 years old and will be able to walk actively on their own feets.
4. And one 6-month long distance hike in the period when some of our kids will be adult already and other will be close to 16-18 years old.

So the total number of really large hikes for the next 20 years will be just 4 (four). One per each 5 years.

Between these large long distance hikes we will perform other short travels to different travels of different kinds (standard beanch/city-based, car-based, and some small hikes with length from several days up to 2 months or so). So these travels/hikes will not be really physically demanding.

Do you think that such plan looks realistic?

watcher2015
03-06-2015, 21:19
2. One 6 month long-distance hike in the period when our kids (from 0.5 up to 2-3 years old) can be moved on our backs inside backpacks and/or in jogging trolleys.
3. One 6-month long-distance hike in the period when our kids will be around 10-13 years old and will be able to walk actively on their own feets.
4. And one 6-month long distance hike in the period when some of our kids will be adult already and other will be close to 16-18 years old.

It is supposed by me that these hikes, especially #3, will be done in companionship with 1-3 other families to make the whole process for kids rather interesting from communicative point of view. At the same time it will make the process more secure.

4eyedbuzzard
03-06-2015, 22:27
In any case the whole process of communication on this forum made me come to the conclusion that schedule of travels will be done approximately in the following way:

1. One 6-month long-distance hike made by me alone or in the period of initial relationships with future wife.Possible.

2. One 6 month long-distance hike in the period when our kids (from 0.5 up to 2-3 years old) can be moved on our backs inside backpacks and/or in jogging trolleys.Low probability.

3. One 6-month long-distance hike in the period when our kids will be around 10-13 years old and will be able to walk actively on their own feets.Low probability.

4. And one 6-month long distance hike in the period when some of our kids will be adult already and other will be close to 16-18 years old.Low probability.

So the total number of really large hikes for the next 20 years will be just 4 (four). One per each 5 years.

I get the feeling that you might be a technically inclined individual.
"Drake" type hiking equation
Probability of your plan's complete success = meeting girl you like x meeting girl who likes you x girl likes long distance hiking x relationship leads to marriage x girl wants children x marriage produces children x you enjoy hiking with babies x wife enjoys hiking with babies x wife doesn't leave at this point x 10-13 year old children like hiking x children don't run away from home x wife doesn't leave at this point x 16-18 year old young adults like hiking x young adults don't leave home at this point x wife doesn't leave at this point x you all are able to take 6 months off work/school/life each time x you have sufficient money.

Do you think that such plan looks realistic?I'm betting on finding ET first.

Malto
03-06-2015, 22:33
Possible.
Low probability.
Low probability.
Low probability.

I get the feeling that you might be a technically inclined individual.
"Drake" type hiking equation
Probability of your plan's complete success = meeting girl you like x meeting girl who likes you x girl likes long distance hiking x relationship leads to marriage x girl wants children x marriage produces children x you enjoy hiking with babies x wife enjoys hiking with babies x wife doesn't leave at this point x 10-13 year old children like hiking x children don't run away from home x wife doesn't leave at this point x 16-18 year old young adults like hiking x young adults don't leave home at this point x wife doesn't leave at this point x you all are able to take 6 months off work/school/life each time x you have sufficient money.

I'm betting on finding ET first.

This is classic! Maybe it's the engineer in me!!!!

watcher2015
03-06-2015, 22:45
Probability of your plan's complete success = .....

Life is built in a more complex way than such straight equations.
And this your equation has hidden base point that sounds "I live a normal life. Let's think what happens if...".
But in fact I already live in a non-normal life for a long amount of time.
So such probabilities (like this equation) are not even considered by me.

My initial question about possibility of the plan mainly meant whether somebody here knows families who already live in such way as I described?
I know there are very many families who regular go to remote hiking trips for up to 2-3 months.
But I have not even heard about families who have habit of relatively regular long-distance hiking with kids built-in into their lives.

iAmKrzys
03-06-2015, 23:12
And this your equation has hidden base point that sounds "I live a normal life. Let's think what happens if...".

My initial question about possibility of the plan mainly meant whether somebody here knows families who already live in such way as I described?
I know there are very many families who regular go to remote hiking trips for up to 2-3 months.
But I have not even heard about families who have habit of relatively regular long-distance hiking with kids built-in into their lives.

I see you are posting throughout the whole night in Nizhniy Novogrod - I guess this wife problem is giving you quite some insomnia!!! :)

watcher2015
03-06-2015, 23:19
I see you are posting throughout the whole night in Nizhniy Novogrod - I guess this wife problem is giving you quite some insomnia!!! :)

I live by floating day-night schedule - it varies randomly within the whole year.

4eyedbuzzard
03-06-2015, 23:20

My post is, of course, intended to be humorous. But there is a also a serious side to it. Imagine life as a long hike, with a finicky compass, an untrustworthy map, and many intersecting trails that lead to different places. Perhaps as I noted before, you should concentrate on finding a woman you love, one that loves you, and hopefully one that likes to hike and camp a bit. That alone would make you a most fortunate man.