PDA

View Full Version : Speed Laces?

Boo8meR
03-04-2015, 00:06
Does anyone use speed laces in their hiking shoes?

Rocket Jones
03-04-2015, 07:09
Personally, I'm more concerned about weight than areodynamics. ;)

Boo8meR
03-04-2015, 07:53
Hahaha. Great response. I just didn't know if there's any value for the triathlon type laces on a thru-hike. I use them on my running shoes and I picked up a pair of shoes for my thru-hike and was just wondering if anyone had used them for hiking.

Just Bill
03-04-2015, 07:59
I think you'd find you'd fight with them. If you didn't get them free with a pair then don't spend the money.
personally I like to use my laces to fine tune the fit of a shoe and the few pairs I've had with this type of system ended up with plain laces.

Hell- the Hoka's I tried came with regular laces right in the box- that's pretty clear indication that most people don't like them.

You can "make your own" with a decent cordlock too if you want to try it out.

bemental
03-04-2015, 21:55
I've used speed laces sparingly, and only in running shoes.

I'm with Bill - the art of lacing one's boots does not meld well with speed laces.

Malto
03-04-2015, 22:14
I used them on a few pairs a few years ago. Over time I learned that there is a definite art to tying shoes. The problem with speed laces is the tension is the same on all eyelets. I generally tie a knot halfway up the shoes to allow me to tighten the bottom parts of the laces and leave the top loose. I have even done the reverse at times.

While I thought the speed laces would be more consistent it really, in the end, didn't matter.

MuddyWaters
03-05-2015, 00:43
I cant even stand the thin flat laces many shoes come with now. I dont want my whole shoe to tighten up every time i tie my shoes. I like the round laces and eyelets that hold a lace tightness at forefoot when you get it where you like it.

fastfoxengineering
03-05-2015, 02:15
Regular old shoelaces for me. Might even start hiking in sandals :cool:

But yeah, waste of money imo. Tying your shoes is just want you do in the AM