PDA

View Full Version : Cold weather layering

Nimbus
03-04-2015, 00:36
I am looking for input/recommendations on order of layering. I have many poly layers and a few wool layers. Is it better to place the wool next to the skin and layer poly over?

gollwoods
03-04-2015, 02:46
Poly wicks so if you have both I think using poly next to your skin is good. I always use apply base layer though. Wool is fine as a base layer too.

Just Bill
03-04-2015, 07:39
The material is not the issue, so much as the weight (warmth) of each of your pieces.
The fit and size is important too- tough to layer two skin tight shirts- and wearing your clothes too tight defeats the point.

All things being equal- most prefer a "good" wool layer next to skin in all but the hottest times of year. Wool tends not to stink as bad and does a better job at your mental perception of warmth. It will generally feel better in a wider range of temps.

Poly tends to hold it's shape better in light layers and warm temps. Wool gets beat up too when talking a thin summer t-shirt type layer so synthetic is often chosen.

But it's March, cold weather layering is over ;)

LoneStranger
03-04-2015, 07:42
My preference is for synthetic bases. Wool will stink less, but once soaked takes longer to dry out.