PDA

View Full Version : best way to springer

Grinch
03-04-2015, 08:54
i have been reading that one side of fr42 is almost impassable. i am coming in from I85 from Nc. what is my best route. my wife is dropping me off and i want to make sure she leaves the easiest way. leaving this friday!

2015 Lady Thru-Hiker
03-04-2015, 08:58
i have been reading that one side of fr42 is almost impassable. i am coming in from I85 from Nc. what is my best route. my wife is dropping me off and i want to make sure she leaves the easiest way. leaving this friday!

Don't have an answer to your question Grinch. Just wanted to wish you well and happy hiking. I start out April 2nd. Will look for entries in the registers from you if you are so inclined.

Grinch
03-04-2015, 09:54
thanks 2015 Lady Thru Hiker! happy trails to you! i only have 2 months on trail. i guess these registers are in shelters? i will only leave positive encouragement(even if i have to lie to myself.haha!). guess worst case just have to walk up forest road.

saltysack
03-04-2015, 10:46
Think u might be better doing approach trail...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mountain squid
03-04-2015, 11:11
Here (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/content.php/215-Driving-Directions-to-Springer-Mountain-Parking-area) are the directions from Amicalola Falls SP. The easy route is the preferred route. I don't know the current conditions but typically the road is passable by most vehicles.

See you on the trail,
mt squid

how to hike (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?73587-how-to-hike)

Tennessee Viking
03-04-2015, 11:25

GATC posted this:
February 18, 2015 The following notice was received today from the USFS:

As many of you know, we’ve had some significant winter weather in most of North Georgia over the past few days. After a preliminary assessment of the impacts on yesterday, we’ve found that many of our Forest Service Roads are impassable and riddled with downed trees and power lines.

 Access to and within the Jake and Bull Trail System has been deemed impassable.

Travel to Springer Mountain is not advised, as routes to Springer are currently hazardous for travel. Trees that have accumulated ice are weakened and subject to falling with high winds.

But check Survivor Dave Trail Shuttles Facebook Page for clues on road conditions. I would drive up FSR 42 from Elijay and Big Creek Road/Doublehead Gap Road; usually it is better graded on that western end and its the quickest way on and off the ridge.

Slo-go'en
03-04-2015, 12:47
Conditions have been changing on a daily bases. Probably the best source of current conditions would be to call the Hiker Hostel as they do shuttles up to the trail via FS42. You might be able to get them to take you up there instead of risking your car. Or just bite the bullet and do the approach trail. It's only 8 miles and not that hard. Good warm up.

timbercreek
03-04-2015, 20:41
I would recommend staying at the Hiker Hostel and let them shuttle you up to Springer. Skip the approach and save your energy for your Day 1

Hiker Hostel is a great place for you and your wife to stay. They have private rooms.

timbercreek
03-04-2015, 20:42
It also allows your wife to stay off the back roads.