PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a couple good loop overnight hikes along the AT in the South.

Dahoyt
03-04-2015, 11:43
I am from a Vermont, traveling down south for fun next week, and looking for a couple scenic loop hikes along the Appalachian Trail in the south. Looking to camp for one or two nights on the loop hike, and looking for something really scenic and awesome. Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated.

Namtrag
03-04-2015, 11:44
Standing Indian Loop

Mt Rogers-Grayson Highlands loop.

I've never been to the first place, but I love Mt Rogers area.

Namtrag
03-04-2015, 11:45
Forgot to mention, NC and Va, respectively. Here is a link to a map of the Grayson Highlands loop http://files.meetup.com/1648248/Mt%20Rogers-Grayson%20Highlands%20Map%20Inset.JPG

Slo-go'en
03-04-2015, 12:12
Next week, eh? Keep in mind with all the recent snow and rain the trail will be really sloppy anywhere you go, even all the way to Georgia.

The AT isn't very well suited for loop hikes as it is a linear trail. Standing Indian as suggested is one possible loop, using the Standing Indian campground as a starting point, but they may not be open yet. And there is likely a lot of snow and ice still up there. It would be a pretty rugged hike.

An in-out hike would be the most practical thing unless you want to arrange for a shuttle. Park at a road crossing, hike in for the night and then retrace your steps back to the car. You don't say how far south your willing to go or how your getting there, so hard to give specific suggestions.

booney_1
03-04-2015, 12:29
Ditto Mt Rogers area. The AT passes through, but there are a couple of trails that make a nice loop. It's very scenic. Wild ponies. Views. There are a couple shelters on top and plenty of other good camping spots. Beware that this is the highest elevation in Va, and it's still winter. It can be very windy and cold. The Thomas-knob shelter is pretty cool. It's the only two level shelter I've seen. The upper level is completely enclosed, and even the lower level is partially closed. This is convenient since the shelter since on a south-east facing slope...fully exposed to prevailing winds. But the views to the south are awesome.

If you go get a good map. There are a variety of hiking and horse trails in the area, it's easy to make a wrong turn on top.

saltysack
03-04-2015, 12:49
+1....standing Indian loop is a nice 22-24 mile loop just outside Franklin nc
-Albert mtn fire tower
-Standing Indian mtn
It's an easy 2 day hike with carter gap shelter in middle...or great tent spot on top of SI mtn..
Park at back country kiosk just past campground... Hike up long branch trail to AT...go south to deep gap...rt down Kimsey creek trail..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

daddytwosticks
03-04-2015, 17:33
...as of now, I am pretty sure the snow and ice is gone from the Standing Indian loop area. However, after tomorrow, it will probably return. :)

saltysack
03-04-2015, 19:44
Goin down Albert mtn at night with a little ice is fun..not!! First time I hiked it was solid ice...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kevin108
03-06-2015, 19:57
Standing Indian Loop

Mt Rogers-Grayson Highlands loop.

I've never been to the first place, but I love Mt Rogers area.
How long does this loop take? I have the opportunity to meet up with some friends next month who are doing a thru but I will only be able to stay for a bit.

Kevin108
03-06-2015, 19:59
Should be, "How long do these lips take?" And why is this forum setup like a typewriter instead of a computer?

Kevin108
03-06-2015, 20:00
Loops. Not lips, or lupus, or Linux, or whatever else autocorrect comes up with. Damn.

Namtrag
03-07-2015, 10:58
I think Standing Indian is probably two days of hiking, but I have never been there.

Mt Rogers-Grayson Highlands is very adjustable. If you go to the map in my link above, you can follow along with my narrative below:

If you follow the yellow highlighted route, that's an easy two night trip. Arrive late in the day, park in the Overnight Parking area, take the AT Connector Trail to the AT, turn right and hike to the Wise Shelter (more or less 45-60 minutes from the parking lot). The next morning get up and go North on the AT to the Pine Mt Trail, then hike south until you hit the AT at Rhododendron Gap. Take a right and go to Thomas Knob shelter, set up camp, and then do a slackpack up to Mt Rogers and back...overnight at Thomas Knob, and then hike back to the car in a couple of hours. The only full day is not very long, but you do see some beautiful scenery, wild ponies, and maybe even some Longhorns if they are out while you are there.

If you need more miles, maybe someone else can suggest an adjustment to my itinerary!

Namtrag
03-07-2015, 11:00
I meant to say overnight at Wise shelter the first night, but I left that out. We always arrive kind of late in the day, and that's an easy hike to set up camp. We camp a little ways past the shelter in a meadow-ish area just after you cross the creek.

daddytwosticks
03-08-2015, 15:56
SI can be easily done in two days, with an overnight at the Carter Gap Shelter area. If you get a late start the first day you can turn this hike into a leisurely three day and finish up early on the third day. :)

JumpMaster Blaster
03-09-2015, 21:26
Loops. Not lips, or lupus, or Linux, or whatever else autocorrect comes up with. Damn.

Post of the month, lol!

Kevin108
03-10-2015, 09:12
Post of the month, lol!
lol thanks. Sorry, I was having some difficulty drunk posting and the lack of an edit feature here gets the best of me sometimes.

vic_doom69
03-12-2015, 14:01
How about parking at mountain harbor hostel in roan mt. Tn and getting a shuttle to carvers gap or huges gap, then hike back to your car. Not really a loop but accomplishes the same purpose and some of the best scenery the south has to offer.