PDA

View Full Version : Trail journals.com

War Eagle
03-05-2015, 09:02
I'm starting at Springer Mountain in 2 weeks. Planning on keeping a blog on Trailjournals.com . For the last couple of days I haven't been able to view the site. Is anyone else having this problem? If I can't find a solution, may have to come up with a backup plan. Thanks for any info in advance:)

SteelCut
03-05-2015, 09:09
I can view the site.

I have been setting up journals for my thru hike this year. I am doing these on both trailjournals.com and postholer.com. So far I have been unimpressed with the ease of use with trailjournals.com even though that seems to be the default for AT thru hikers. postholer.com is far superior and offers much better features IMHO and I may switch to solely updating my journal at postholer.com. You may want to consider that as a backup plan if you continue to have problems.

bemental
03-05-2015, 11:10
I'm starting at Springer Mountain in 2 weeks. Planning on keeping a blog on Trailjournals.com . For the last couple of days I haven't been able to view the site. Is anyone else having this problem? If I can't find a solution, may have to come up with a backup plan. Thanks for any info in advance:)

It's been down for me as well, seems to be some sort of outage affecting only a subset of people.

Bummer too since I'm leaving in a few days and was reading up on those who were ahead of us.

Try out Squarespace if you're interested in a DIY approach. Great interface, they've a superior set of iOS apps for posting and editing while mobile, awesome 24/7 customer support and it'll only run you about $10 a month for the website, domain and hosting (iOS apps are free).

I run my site there: bemental.me/trail-journal

CarlZ993
03-05-2015, 11:17
I can view the site.

I have been setting up journals for my thru hike this year. I am doing these on both trailjournals.com and postholer.com. So far I have been unimpressed with the ease of use with trailjournals.com even though that seems to be the default for AT thru hikers. postholer.com is far superior and offers much better features IMHO and I may switch to solely updating my journal at postholer.com. You may want to consider that as a backup plan if you continue to have problems.
+1 for Postholer. Liked it better than TrailJournals for on-the-trail blogging.

Rolls Kanardly
03-05-2015, 11:17
Opens okay for me. 3/5/15 8:16AM AZ time

Just in case your link is hosed.
http://www.trailjournals.com/

Rolls

War Eagle
03-05-2015, 14:36
Thank you all for your replies. Will give it a few more days to correct before I jump. Have been following this site for over 3 years. If anyone has a phone number to call in order to inquire, much appreciated. To the other 2015's, have a great time and hope to meet.
Mark Korb (no trail name yet)

LoneStranger
03-05-2015, 14:54
If some can see and some can't it is usually either a DNS or routing issue both of which can be taken up with your internet access provider. I'd suggest troubleshooting via a tracert or ping but I am old and come from the days when you had to know that sort of stuff if you were going to be online. If those things mean nothing to you just contact your ISP :)

bemental
03-05-2015, 15:59
If some can see and some can't it is usually either a DNS or routing issue both of which can be taken up with your internet access provider. I'd suggest troubleshooting via a tracert or ping but I am old and come from the days when you had to know that sort of stuff if you were going to be online. If those things mean nothing to you just contact your ISP :)

I'm with you, and a tracer route dead ends and hangs. I've also put in their registered IP address (as opposed to trail journals.com) and even that doesn't work for me.

I believe this to be on their end, not mine, since this is widespread amongst multiple users (that, and I've exhaustively ensured that all of my DNS settings and servers, including using multiple servers, are working).

LoneStranger
03-05-2015, 16:32
Sounds like it isn't on either end but in the middle. Those who take other routes can see the site while those routed through the bad hop die there. Once the folks in charge of that router hit it with a stick things should return to normal :p

Motmot
03-05-2015, 17:34
Hey. Similar issue. Suddenly about a month ago all contact lost! Had been on the site as a journalist with several entries as well�� had been followimg several folks and excited to use it for our TH. It seems to be our personal Apple products as well as the current pc but I was able to access from a work pc. Wondered if TJ had blocked us? Sad. Will try the post hole perhaps but likely try a seperate blog and YT updates. Good luck and hope they repair it from TJs.

Rolls Kanardly
03-05-2015, 18:18
Turn your computer totally off, let it set for a few and then turn back on.
There are still a few things that a cold boot can do that you cannot with out a lot of work.
Cox (our service provider) can be a real pain in the tusky. Cox can be slow and cranky and some time the only way to get Cox to work right is to do a cold boot. I can log into WB with no problems but log into Cox and I get the web page from the dark side.

Rolls

bemental
03-05-2015, 22:48
And when my cell phone doesn't access the site? Or an my iPad or laptop on various networks in the local area?

I think we've located it to someone in the middle. I'll try a VPN, see if that works.