PDA

View Full Version : Cheap Utility Cell Phone Plan

boxer
03-05-2015, 19:39
Hey guys-- What have other thru-hikers done for cell phone usage? I'm not planning to keep my cell phone bill going. I don't need any data or texting, I really just want a cheap brick phone that can make calls with 100 minutes prepaid onto it that I can use for emergencies. I looked in to calling cards, but your cell phone would have to already have service, so I don't think that would work. I also though about getting a cheap $20/month plan, but then I'm not sure how cell service would be with those companies, so I think I might have to go with a big name like AT&T to get service in more remote areas.

What have others done? Do you just go without a phone? I know some people keep their regular plans, but I looking for a much lower cost option. I've looked at the GoPhones for AT&T, but they seem kind of pricey as well. Any good suggestions?

excuses
03-05-2015, 20:06
I've had a trac fone since 2007 that i got just for hiking. coverage can be spotty, i haven't gone more than 24 hours in hiking from springer to 1/2 way through New Jersey without some reception.

CarlZ993
03-05-2015, 20:30
Those pre-paid cell companies utilize someone's network - AT&T, Sprint, T-Mobile, Verizon, etc. If that network covers where you're at in the world, you've got coverage. No coverage for that carrier? You've got a paperweight.

It seems like Verizon has the best coverage along the AT. I used a Straight Talk phone w/ Verizon's network on my hike (each specific phone has a specific carrier; the 'red' US map on the box = Verizon). I decided to go w/ a smart phone so my costs were more ($45/mo). Other companies also utilize Verizon's network - such as Page Plus. You could get a low cost phone & pay $80 for 2,000 minutes that would be good for a year. That's pretty cheap if you don't many minutes ($6.66/mo).

Damn Yankee
03-05-2015, 20:35
I have used Tracfone for five years now with no issues. You get double minutes so for $42 I get 400 minutes and then use a coupon from the coupon book which comes in the box for an additional 40 minutes. $42 for 440 minutes which last me 3-4 months or more depending how much I use it, could be more if you watch how many minutes you use. Also no contract so can stop using anytime.

Lyle
03-05-2015, 23:28
Been using Tracfone for 10 or 12 years now, across the country, seldom have any more problems than anyone else getting reception.

Last time I bought service, I bought an annual card for $98. Gives one full year of activation, and 400 minutes of service. The phone I have gives me 3X the minutes for as long as I own it, so that was 1200 minutes of service. When I was checking out, I was offered an additional year of service and 400 more minutes of for an additional $40. All tolled, for $138 I got two years of service and 2400 minutes. Plus, you never loose your minutes if you keep your phone active, they just roll over. With all the roll-over minutes I've accumulated, I have over 3600 minutes remaining. Last time I paid a dime to Tracfone was in Oct of 2013, my service expires Oct of this year, so I'll have to make another payment come Oct.

I find it an amazing deal for someone like me who only uses the phone occasionally for MY convenience. If I'm not making a call, the phone is off.

tiptoe
03-06-2015, 10:31
Tracfone has been perfect for me as well. Ridges and peaks are generally best for service. Mostly I send daily texts about my whereabouts, with the occasional phone call. As others have pointed out, minutes are cheap. My phone, one of the cheaper ones with a full keyboard, is very lightweight, and a charge lasts for over a week since I keep the phone off most of the time. I do have AT&T service with it, and it has been adequate in the South. But adequate is all I want.

boxer
03-06-2015, 11:17
Thanks guys! Super helpful info. This is EXACTLY what I was looking for. I'm going to order one today.

jawnzee
03-06-2015, 11:32
republic wireless is $10/mo for unlimited talk and text. it is nice to not have to worry about your minutes. i used to do tracfone and found myself always thinking about my call length.

atraildreamer
03-06-2015, 12:39
Ditto on TracFone. They have incredibly low prices on plans. I pay $10/month and get double minutes. My wife gets triple minutes for an additional $5/month. Total cost for our family plan is $17.77/month (taxes, etc., cause the higher price.) Paid about $30 each for our phones.

Check out their website; www.tracfone.com (http://www.tracfone.com) they have some real good deals there on older model phones that give you double, triple, or even quadruple minutes, depending on what you buy.

Never had a problem with coverage.

Connie
03-06-2015, 13:57
I have had Tracfone for hiking and prepaid convenience.

There are different cell phone protocols in different regions: be sure to have the protocol for the AT.

My "west coast" Tracfone had to be replaced with a Tracfone with the right protocol for Montana.

If you are traveling in to the AT from a different region, you might want to "get it right".

denimlabels
05-02-2015, 21:51
I use Ting Mobile. My cell phone bill is less than 20$ a month. Ting works on the Sprint network. Ting is not a prepaid phone but it is a great quality service for the price with no contract!

hikeandbike5
05-02-2015, 22:48
check out pageplus. $13/month for 250 minutes & 250 texts

CoolBobby
06-12-2015, 15:01
Republic Wireless..... It is an awesome plan that is dirt cheap. Check it out. Just my 2 cents...

bikebum1975
06-17-2015, 21:34
Nother vote on tracphone. It can get pricey though if you talk a lot

Yankee15
08-26-2015, 23:11
Bought a verizon prepaid in PA when I wrecked mine...12 bucks for the phone, you can pay by the minute but I found I went through it too quick so I did the 35/month unlimited...not the cheapest maybe but service is the best on the AT with verizon