PDA

View Full Version : NBO beginning mileage question ???

2009ThruHiker
11-03-2005, 14:30
Currently my wife and I, with full packs, hike the AT from Front Royal, Va area through Skyline Drive area at about 1.8 miles per hour. We figure at this rate 8-10 miles per day starting off in GA will be no problem, but we are looking for some input... do any thru hikers out there see problems with this? Is the terrain in GA very difficult for experienced VA hikers?

Kerosene
11-03-2005, 14:34
You should be fine. In fact, you might be able to pump it up to 12 miles initially given the smoother trail surface. I think that a lot of the noise around the difficulty with Georgia is that many of these folks have never done any serious backpacking and/or they're out of shape after hibernating for the winter.

Lone Wolf
11-03-2005, 14:42
Georgia ain't tough at all. Only if you're straight off the couch with a mouthful of cheetos and Mountain Dew weighing 250 lbs. Y'all will be just fine.

Whistler
11-03-2005, 14:44
If you're already hiking with full packs, you're miles ahead [ha] of many other prospective thrus. I don't think 8-10-12 will be a problem at all. In the meantime, you'll probably pick up some tricks to walk and rest more efficiently, drop a couple pack-pounds and body-bounds, and you'll do fine.

Kerosene has a good point about the smoother trail surface. Georgia has a very nice footpath for the most part.
-Mark

Footslogger
11-03-2005, 14:52
Georgia is a bit rough only because you're just starting out and not used to the ups/downs. Your estimate of 8 - 10 miles/day is very doable. Just pace yourself and don't try to keep up with the turbo hikers and you'll be fine.

'Slogger

Spirit Walker
11-03-2005, 15:10
Partly it depends on how early you start your day. If you have some camping experience, it is pretty easy to get an early start. At two miles an hour, 10 miles is only five hours of hiking, plus break time. That is very doable, even on Georgia's hills.

Also, have you done any all day hikes? If you are used to doing only short hikes, it can take some adjustment to become accustomed to hiking for 8 or 10 hours a day. The mechanics are the same, but there is a psychological difference between hiking for 4 hours vs. hiking all day. Kinda like the difference between a hobby and a job ;-)

2009ThruHiker
11-03-2005, 15:58
Thanks for the help... yes we've done several overnight hikes....planning a 4 day in the spring.

weary
11-03-2005, 21:36
Partly it depends on how early you start your day. If you have some camping experience, it is pretty easy to get an early start. At two miles an hour, 10 miles is only five hours of hiking, plus break time. That is very doable, even on Georgia's hills.

Also, have you done any all day hikes? If you are used to doing only short hikes, it can take some adjustment to become accustomed to hiking for 8 or 10 hours a day. The mechanics are the same, but there is a psychological difference between hiking for 4 hours vs. hiking all day. Kinda like the difference between a hobby and a job ;-)
Compared with Maine and New Hampshire, where I had done most of my hiking, Georgia was a piece of cake.

Weary

Kerosene
11-04-2005, 12:51
Compared to anywhere north of Harpers Ferry, Georgia was a piece of cake.

Mountain Dew
11-15-2005, 03:38
LW, "Georgia ain't tough at all. Only if you're straight off the couch with a mouthful of cheetos and Mountain Dew weighing 250 lbs. Y'all will be just fine." --- and man was it tough weighing in at 250 with cheetos in my pack and numerous Mt. Dews tucked deep inside the pack as well. ....sigh.... Mountain Dew

Ramble~On
11-15-2005, 06:07
8-10 miles per day to start in Georgia will not be a problem for you except everyone else will be doing about those same miles to start.
Shelters get filled up and if you are looking for some time alone in Georgia in spring...good luck, at the shelters anyway.