PDA

View Full Version : Find me a quiet 4 day section on the AT first week of April

REB
03-05-2015, 23:25
Ok so Springer to Unicol wil not work for me the week of March 30 for a quiet peaceful hike. I figured so but wanted to ask. How far would most of the crowd have hiked by the week of March 30th. Is it possible to find a piece past the Smokies before the thru hike crowd. I don't really want to drive past Virginia.
Ive already hiked Franklin to Fontana. Any thoughts?

saltysack
03-06-2015, 00:03
I'm thinking about standing bear or davenport gap to hot springs...think will be ahead of most crowds...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

full conditions
03-06-2015, 08:22
A fair number of thrus will have already been on the trail plus that's also spring break time for many schools. Nonetheless, I think you could have mob-free time just about anywhere north of Hot Springs - should keep you ahead of the thickest part of the bubble and a part of the trail where fewer spring breakers go. My spring break is a week later and I'm planning on hiking from Hampton, TN to Damascus for that very reason. You might also consider a week on the Benton Mackay Trail for that very reason - you'll see hardly anyone and its an awesome trail.

fredmugs
03-06-2015, 09:57
Have you been on the Palmetto Trail yet?

msumax1985
03-06-2015, 11:58
If you want quiet on the AT, I'd say stay north of Erwin. For whatever reason, March 1 seems to be the start of the bubble leaving from Springer. And they will easily be to Hot Springs, some we be to Erwin by March 30. You could start at Roan Mtn/19E to Hampton area. Lots of 4 day options in that area. Just get a guide or map and look north of Erwin. Or Hampton to Damascus. Just stay away from parks, like Mt Rogers/Smokys, as all the spring break/weekend campers will be out.

RockDoc
03-06-2015, 15:56
A few years ago I hiked SOBO from Shenandoah to Damascus in April-May. We met a surprisingly large (~10-20/day) number of hikers who were trying to be ahead of the bubble. The actual bubble was 60-90 hikers/day (we made a game of counting them).
So it's a losing game to try to avoid the bubble on the AT.
Maybe try the Tuscarora trail or some other?

double d
03-06-2015, 20:29
The AT is 2170 miles long, pick a spot and hike it.

REB
03-06-2015, 21:03
Yes, I live in Charleston and have pretty much saturated that trail. However I crave the mountains.

Sirsnappy09
03-06-2015, 21:14
I am planning on going north from Either Davenport or hot springs around March 27. I will be out for at least a week probably two.

Hangfire
03-06-2015, 21:45
I don't know how fast you can hike but I bet the 100 mile wilderness will be awfully quiet that time of year:-)