PDA

View Full Version : Georgia in June?

Just Barry
03-06-2015, 07:10
I am planning a long section hike (approx. 800 mi.) starting in June at Springer, well actually the approach trail since I think it would be silly to go all the way to GA and skip the few extra miles. My wife and I sectioned from Bear Mountain, NY to Franconia Notch in the summer of 2013 in about 30 days and did the section from the Delaware Water Gap to Bear Mt. in about a 7 days in 2012. I'm a teacher so I have the whole summer this year to hike( approx. 65 days this year. Anyway, I have a few questions about hiking from Ga to central Virginia in the summer. What can I expect as far as temperatures, bugs and what can I expect for water availability? I'm trying to plan my gear and I don't want to skimp on warm clothes if I need them, but I don't want to carry an unnecessary items like a puffy jacket and heavier sleeping bag if I don't need them. I also want to know if I need to load up on DEET and will I need to be carrying lots of extra water between sources. Any input on these issues or things you think might help would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance from a first-time poster (long time silent troller) to WB.

full conditions
03-06-2015, 08:11
Hey Barry, I'm likewise a section hiking teacher (high school science) and I live in part of the region in which you plan to hike. June is mostly pretty delightful in the Southern Appalachians especially up in the higher elevations. Plus, you should be in time for some pretty impressive Rhododendron and Azalea displays. There can still be some big swings in temperature with some days in the 80's - esp. at lower elevations - and nights sometimes below freezing (rare, but its happened to me more than once in the Smokies) - mostly though, id say you're perfectly fine with a 40 degree bag. Temps start to make some big leaps upward as we get into July which, by that time, you'll probably be close to Virginia i'd guess - look for high humidity, occasional thunder storms, and very warm (hot) days. Bugs have rarely been a problem for me here in the Smokies and my memories of hiking in Virginia in July was that bugs were mostly a minor annoyance - hopefully someone else can add their wisdom here. Hope you and your wife have a great experience. My partner and I plan to do from Pawling, NY to Hanover, NH this summer July 1- August 6 or so - any advise on weather and bugs?

daddytwosticks
03-06-2015, 08:22
I'd carry a 40 degree bag or quilt. Definitely a 100 wt fleece and hat for the chilly nights at elevation. Maybe chiggers and ticks may be an issue. I'd bring DEET just in case. Water should not ne a problem in Ga/Nc that time of year. Later in the summer springs and water sources start to dry up down here, especially if it's been a dry winter/spring. So far, at least here in the valleys, it appears to be a normal to below normal rainfall winter. :)

slbirdnerd
03-06-2015, 09:32
I've sectioned all of GA in June and agree, it was delightful although expect some rain. Temps were good (never too hot) but can be cool to cold at night. Water was plentiful at all AT Guide's stated locations. I didn't have any problems with bugs, including ticks/chiggers, but I treat my clothes, hat and pack with permethrin.

Be sure to spend a little time at Long Creek Falls and on top of Standing Indian Mtn. (go past the first overlook, through the trees, and to the right), and Albert Mtn.

Have a wonderful hike!

Country Roads
03-06-2015, 20:12
Be aware that trails may be a bit overgrown with poison Ivy by June. Pay attention to where you sit down, sit your pack and do personal business. Take something, like body glide, for chafing on the hot days.
Have fun!

Falcon
03-06-2015, 21:36
Having grown up in Georgia my entire life and recently retired from 35 years as an educator and hiked during the summer months, the weather in July & August can be very hot. I sleep in a hammock during the warm summer months but I do carry a fleece pullover, long pants and a warm sock hat. Bugs have never been a problem, but bug spray would be wise to carry. Every day I thoroughly check myself for ticks and hike with very light weight shorts even going rambo to avoid chafing. The best rule of thumb for me is to take care of chafing the moment you feel it occurring, an ounce of prevention is better than a pound cure.

Just Barry
03-07-2015, 05:17
Thanks for the info. It will help me enormously as I get my gear list finalized. The hike from NY to NH was awesome. We especially enjoyed all of Vermont and NH. If you can swing a few more days I'd recommend getting into the Whites, if only part of the way. It was a great way to finish the hike and I can't wait to start our hike there in a year or two to finish off a multi-year hike. The one part of our hike that was miserable were the bugs in Conn. and the first part of Mass. Even with DEET and a head net they became almost unbearable at times. We had temps from the upper 40s on the low side and up to the 90s often. The only time we were really felt cold at night was a night we spent in the Whites, but with a 40 degree bag and most of my layers on it wasn't that bad. I hope you have a good hike.

Doughnut
03-07-2015, 08:53
I too am in education, you'll meet LOTS of us out there, teachers off for the summer!!

4shot
03-07-2015, 09:26
I too am in education, you'll meet LOTS of us out there, teachers off for the summer!!

off topic, but I became a teacher a few years ago after my thru hike. I wanted a lifestyle that give me time off to hike. Couldn't be happier with that decision.

To the OP, pretty good advice here.A lot of the bug issue is personal - when my wife hikes with me, she can be pretty bothered by mosquitos. (We usually hike late May through June). I will be only mildly affected. Temp. range that can be encountered in this area is from 32 to 90*. I almost always hike in the southern mountains with a puffy coat - it's lightweight, needed at times, and doubles as my pillow.

shelb
03-07-2015, 21:55
So, what is the range of temperatures for Georgia for June 15-30? (My school does not get out until the 10th-14th each June...)

So far, I have hiked further north during this time (Virginia - PA); however, it sounds like Georgia is not that much warmer in June...

Thanks!

4shot
03-07-2015, 22:21
So, what is the range of temperatures for Georgia for June 15-30? (My school does not get out until the 10th-14th each June...)

So far, I have hiked further north during this time (Virginia - PA); however, it sounds like Georgia is not that much warmer in June...

Thanks!

I think if you plan for a range of 40's (nighttime) to upper 80's you would be covered during most years. As always, when discussing weather there are exceptions to every rule.

shelb
03-08-2015, 00:42
Wow! That is awesome as it stretches my area! Thank you!!!

FatMan
03-08-2015, 10:02

Thanks!The last half of June will be summer-like. It is extremely unlikely you will see lows in the 40s. Expect a range of 55-85. But with the green tunnel in place it will not be the temps that get you, it will be the humidity. Not unusual to have very heavy late afternoon thunderstorms almost everyday, some can be dangerous.

You really don't need any deet for GA while hiking. Biting bugs are not much of a problem, especially if you are moving. Expect plenty of gnats buzzing around your head though. But you may want some repellent for camp if at lower elevation.

The warning above about poison ivy is right on. It will be everywhere in places. But the trail in GA is well maintained with a wide path so only concern will be when you are off the trail.

Water will still be everywhere. Seasonal seeps will die out by the end of June.

Due to the humidity expect to sweat even when temps top out in the 70s, and don't expect your clothes to dry over night unless you sleep with them, and I don't recommend that. Keep a set of dry clothes for camp and just get used to hiking in damp sweaty clothes.

The throngs of Thrus will be gone so it will be much more peaceful out there.

Have a great hike!

MuddyWaters
03-08-2015, 10:17
Id expect overnight lows most likely to be 60ish. The problem is, its still 75 and humid when you go to bed, it doesnt cool off till after midnight.

Itchy, sweaty, uncomfortable sleeping .

Rain Man
03-09-2015, 11:18
A 40-degree bag would never cut it for me. I hiked in Georgia from July 31 to August 3rd one summer with a 45 degree bag. It immediately went back for a full refund as soon as I got home. When I was on those mountains and the wind blew a cool fog right through me every night, I needed a lot more than a see-through bag. We stayed in shelters; it rained at least once every day and night.

The daytime temps never exceeded 78 degrees on my zipper thermometer. My wife later told me as she watched the weather on cable at home, there was a thin finger of cool air all the way down the spine of the Appalachians into Georgia.

Yes, poison ivy will be almost everywhere. Water should not be a problem in June. Ticks might be. I treat all my clothing and gear with Permethrin. I rarely use DEET.

I always take at least my Patagonia Nano Puff jacket. Hiking in a summer t-shirt is fine ... until I stop hiking and a cool breeze blows in camp or even in a cool shaded lunch area. Then a wet t-shirt is a bit of a joke. When my hiking metabolism turns off at the end of each day, I get the shivers.

Anyway, that's all my experience. Do with it as you will. Good thing too that in 800 miles you have plenty of opportunity to make adjustments. Enjoy your hike!