PDA

View Full Version : NOBO partner departing the week of April 9th

Raspberry Treat
03-06-2015, 14:08
Hey All.

First time Thru Hiker, hoping to leave the week of April 9th. Really would like a partner, especially for the first couple of weeks until we find our rhythm, pace and groove. Any one else looking for a partner, too? :banana:sun

Raspberry Treat
03-06-2015, 17:01
Lots have people have viewed, but not bitten. Anyone want/need more info?

Slo-go'en
03-06-2015, 18:03
The thing is, there will be many, many others starting at the same time. You will quickly fall into a group of hikers with a similar pace and personalities. Let the trail decide. Groups are always changing up over time as some fall behind, get ahead, drop out and so on.

horsefarm
03-06-2015, 18:43
What's your hiking pace like? How many miles are you looking to do each day early on? If you were leaving 3 days earlier I wouldn't find much problem with having a fellow noob to stumble around with

horsefarm
03-06-2015, 18:44
...meant two days earlier. I'll effectively be leaving Springer on the 7th

Malto
03-06-2015, 18:51
There will likely be 100 people starting within a day of you. You will do much better seeing who is doing a similar pace with a compatible hiking style. Even if you are doing the same miles per day as someone else it could be a far different hike. What time do you start, breaks, pace etc all go into compatibility. I can tell you from experience that even if you think someone may be a good match on the internet you won't know until you get to the trail. Have a great trip.

Raspberry Treat
03-06-2015, 20:40
You guys are all fantastic and you're confirming what I've known all along, the AT attracts exactly the caliber of people that I'll be happy to hike alongside. Not to be a big mush or anything, but that's kinda how I roll. Horse Farm, I'm planning on building my pace gradually. I'm a super noob. What about you?

horsefarm
03-06-2015, 22:35
You guys are all fantastic and you're confirming what I've known all along, the AT attracts exactly the caliber of people that I'll be happy to hike alongside. Not to be a big mush or anything, but that's kinda how I roll. Horse Farm, I'm planning on building my pace gradually. I'm a super noob. What about you?

Well I've only done about 100 miles on the AT, but have a lot of backpacking experience in Appalachia. I'll be about two months healed from a knee injury tho, so when I start so will be feeling things out the first couple hundred miles.

Raspberry Treat
03-07-2015, 09:59
Do you want to chat a little? Or if you have facebook, you can check out my profile and see who I am and what I'm about. Is there a way to personal message on here?

horsefarm
03-08-2015, 22:02
Sent you a personal message

Chief White Brow
03-09-2015, 16:59
I will be starting on the 8th with to other hikers. Our pace will be slow to start, under 10 a day. If that works let me know.

Raspberry Treat
03-09-2015, 20:47
I would be totally fine with that, Chief. I'm counting on no more than 8 to 10 til I get my legs under me and my shoulders used to bearing the weight. Can you tell me more about your group? All men? Mixed group?