PDA

View Full Version : Osprey Exos raincover or not

adamussg
03-06-2015, 15:11
Hey looking for some advice. I just picked up an Osprey Exos 58 I'm gonna be using in 30 days to hike GA to PA. I'm wondering if it's worth it to spend the additional money on a raincover for the pack or not. I'm obviously lining inside with a trasbag and everything inside will be in waterproof stuff sacks... So I'm wondering.... Do u use a raincover on your pack? If so... Do u use a name brand? Or do u use a cheapo knockoff. ?

soilman
03-06-2015, 15:17
I started out with a Sea to Summit cover for my Exos but switched to an Osprey when I got to Pearisburg because it fit better. I use a trash can liner but I like to keep the other stuff in the outside pockets and pack as dry as possible.

Dochartaigh
03-06-2015, 15:23
For me, the only thing I can't get wet is my sleeping bag, clothes, and some small electronics – all of those go in a dry bag. Everything else is unharmed by water.

Since you already have two precautions against water (garbage bag liner, and dry bags inside that), unless you're really worried about the little bit of extra weight a wet pack weighs (form soaking up water), I wouldn't worry about it.

adamussg
03-06-2015, 15:24
What size did u go with? Medium?

adamussg
03-06-2015, 15:26
Im really torn. I want to make extra sure nothing gets wet... But dont want another 4 to 5 oz. I wanna be as light as possible.

TSWisla
03-06-2015, 15:33
Im really torn. I want to make extra sure nothing gets wet... But dont want another 4 to 5 oz. I wanna be as light as possible.
I feel the same way, but I purchased the cover and carry it with me. I have not had to use it yet though!

Nooga
03-06-2015, 16:30
On my Osprey Exos I use a compactor trash bag liner and a pack cover. For me, its worth the slight weight penalty. I have a small tent and often hang my pack on a tree outside of my tent and can use the pack cover to keep the pack dry.

Slosteppin
03-06-2015, 20:50
I've been using the Exos 58 for several years. I also use a hammock about half the time. I use dry bags inside the pack for my quilt and spare clothes. I use a Jacks R Better Gear Hammock for my pack cover. It is big and baggy but the cords around the perimeter tighten snugly around the pack. I don't feel it is extra weight because it has so many other uses.

Turtle-2013
03-06-2015, 21:04
I've always found this a curious subject ... I see lots of hikers with covers ... I've never used one, never will ... if my pack isn't waterproof, I will either re-waterproof it, or get new pack. Of course I keep crucial stuff in waterproof bags inside as backup (and for packing/unpacking in camp, but I expect my pack to be a waterproof bag to begin with.

soilman
03-06-2015, 22:29
My Exos is a large. I used a medium pack cover. I have been backpacking for 40 years and have always used a raincover. Have yet to find a pack that is waterproof.

ekeverette
03-06-2015, 22:35
for 4 or 5 oz's I think a pack cover will give you peace of mind.

Turtle-2013
03-06-2015, 22:47
My Exos is a large. I used a medium pack cover. I have been backpacking for 40 years and have always used a raincover. Have yet to find a pack that is waterproof.

As I said ... I find the subject a curious subject ... some of my best friends from the first time I set foot on the trail over 45 years ago, swear by covers ... I think if you have a good waterproof pack, and pack it correctly, it becomes a matter of personal preference and what makes you "comfortable". WHICH is my best advise about pretty much everything on the trail ... figure out what works for you, and stick with it right up until you find something that works for you better ; ) Happy Hiking and Stay Safe!!!

Traveler
03-07-2015, 08:19
For what its worth, I will use a garbage bag liner for "this can't think about getting wet" stuff. For a rain cover, the pack has its own and have an aftermarket rain cover (REI) for my Osprey pack. The aftermarket cover I selected is a little larger than the pack when its full, to cover various things I will strap or hang on the outside pack like a DSLR camera. The slightly oversized cover gets that and other gear under protection. Weight penalty is 2.7 ounces. Even in a real frog strangler rain I have not had any problems.

Namtrag
03-07-2015, 09:59
If my pack cover weighs more than 2 oz, I would be astonished. To me it's a no-brainer to take it along.

hikernutcasey
03-07-2015, 22:08
I don't see what the point of having a rain cover is. If you use a liner and put everything you want to keep dry in there I don't see what good it does. Maybe it keeps the pack from getting saturated and weighing more but it can't be that much more weight than the rain cover.

V Eight
03-08-2015, 11:42
I don't see what the point of having a rain cover is. If you use a liner and put everything you want to keep dry in there I don't see what good it does. Maybe it keeps the pack from getting saturated and weighing more but it can't be that much more weight than the rain cover.

The point of having a cover for me is not limited to merely keeping the pack dry(er). The bigger benefit for me is less condensation. You see I have a single wall tent (TarpTent sub-lite Sil) and I bring my pack "inside" with me.

Take the dripping cover off with the pack in the vestibule and bring a much dryer pack in. Then I will usually lay the cover wet side down on the wet ground. So for me it is a multipurpose item, well worth is weight.

Captain Bluebird
03-08-2015, 11:58
I would go with the pack cover.... especially this time of year with cooler temps. If its overkill bringing along a pack cover so be it. Its added protection in keeping you dry, your clothes and bag dry and it can help keep your back dry from dew and condensation when not in use.

CalebJ
03-08-2015, 15:54
Add me to the list of people that don't see the point. I've tried using them occasionally over the years and found them a complete waste of time. The pack itself is (or should be) largely water repellent. Inside that, protect the few things that actually need to stay dry. That's probably only your sleeping bag and a couple of small items like a change of clothes, cell phone, etc. It's just one more thing to carry and fool with that you don't really need.

Sirsnappy09
03-08-2015, 18:23
The only issues I have with pack covers are that they only cover the pack body and not the belt or straps. Enter the Packa or that or set up that is similar to the packa( the name escapes me at the moment) if you dont mind the actual pack getting soaked( and it will soak up the water) then the lining and dry bags will suffice. I personally don't like my pack to get soaked mainly due to weight but also it is just uncomfortable when the belt and straps are soaked and that padding will take a while to dry out. Of course my pack has no padding g on it except for the shoulder straps so I don't worry about it. Compactor bag is good for me.

trbjr
03-08-2015, 18:38
I believe you should not carry a pack cover but just line it instead unless you know for 100% that it is going to rain

Walkintom
03-08-2015, 23:28
I have switched to using a backpacker's poncho. I've had my pack get soaked too many times despite having a pack cover.

First the hip belt, then the whole back panel will get wet as you hike in sustained wet conditions and eventually the whole blamed thing will wick up water to the point that it's dripping and causing a water bag to swag around at the bottom of the pack cover.

Yay! - extra weight just when I want it most!

If you don't find a way to keep the whole pack dry then the whole pack will get wet. Like Tiquer, I want to put my pack inside with me if possible which means keeping it dry-ish.

A poncho that covers it entirely has solved this for me. It's a PITA to get the poncho on and situated over the pack all by myself but it's worth it because my pack stays dry.

Namtrag
03-09-2015, 08:58
I use the pack cover to lay my pack down on in the vestibule when the ground is really wet as well. Just don't understand the hate towards carrying an extra 2-3oz.

Captain Bluebird
03-09-2015, 09:25
I believe you should not carry a pack cover but just line it instead unless you know for 100% that it is going to rain On the AT this time of year, the average precipitation is 40%. It's going to rain....

bangorme
03-09-2015, 16:56
I'd love to use a cover, but have never found one that stayed on reliably. I'm currently using a Black Diamond Infinity 60 and have already lost one.

The only reasons I try to use them is to avoid the water weight, and have the option of bringing it into the tent.

Del Q
03-09-2015, 21:21
Put in me in the paranoid, extra careful camp

Have been out for 6 days in the rain (Vermont), key gear never got wet.

Have an Exos 58, regardless of the pack I always use a rain cover AND keep all gear in separate gear bags, as I can afford cuben fiber bags (CF), I get them. Great gear.

............my new pack I am going out with next Sunday is a Zpack CF pack, and I will be using a CF pack cover and separate gear bags.

I don't carry a lot of gear, what I have needs to stay dry + dry gear weighs less to carry!

girl guide
03-25-2016, 18:17
I'm currently considering getting the Exos 58. If I do, I want to order the right cover along with it.

The Osprey site lists three different ultralight covers:
M: 30-50L
L: 50-75L
XL: 75-110L

So for the 58 I should order the L according to the website. I found an amazon review stating that for the 58 the M size is sufficient. What size do you guys use? If the M fits I'd much prefer to get that because I also have an Osprey Nova (33L) that I could use the cover for.

girl guide
03-25-2016, 19:49
I found a video that shows how the M size fits the pack, I think that'll do just fine for me: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ise2IVbYO3c

GreenBlaze
03-26-2016, 04:23

This this the kind of stuff that qualifies as 'stupid light' in my opinion. The 3.6oz the large raincover will help prevent your gear/pack from absorbing water. If it does absorb water, it'll be a lot heavier than 3.6oz.

Del Q
03-26-2016, 08:13
Yes, I would take a pack cover. 1. Keeps gear dry, 2. keeps pack weight DOWN - a wet pack is a heavier pack