PDA

View Full Version : first time dumb questions pack list, (be Nice)

sittinguy
03-07-2015, 07:39
Heres the list, I will list weights on things I think need input on. I will leave out the small stuff in the intrest of time, but I do have all of it if needed. I will list mainly in ozs and detail on some items.
? is items I could leave, but don't want to yet.

As of now, with water I'm at 35lbs
I will be adding about 4 more lbs food unfortunatly.

pack 91.00 5.11lb
tent 42.70 ul2 flycreek
bag 25.70 ozark trail cocoon 200, 32 degree
mat 28.00 double z
mess kit 11.50 with camp soap
stove 3.95
fuel 8.05 small can
pillow 9.15
2 water bottles 36.75 1 lb each
2 liter canteens 39.65 full 5lbs
poncho ? 12.60 heavy but doubles for ground pad
camp chair ? 22.00 1.3 lb
camp shoes ? 9.80

Cloths bag 63.30
thin rain jacket/ pants
shorts
tee shirt
2 socks
2 underwear
light jacket
beanie
compression bag

Side pouch 1 28.75
phone charger
emerg blanket
first aid
raidio/charger (7.35)
sawyer filter
head net

Side pouch 2 26.70
pouch with small items like comb tooth brush ect
alot of small junk. the heavy item is a muli tool (7.30)
small shovel included in this weight

Top of pack 26.3
black garbage bag
2 gallon ziplocks
4 small ziplocks
latex gloves
paper towels
toilet paper
emerg poncho
5 walmart bags
small pot srubbie
All the above items ara in a gollan ziplock
next items are loose

small ziplock with toilet paper and small buttwipes
camo rope
hand towel
wisps
hand sani
sunscreen
lighter
tube of compressed towels
small bugspray
long spoon
headlamp

Food 64.00 , 4 lbs

6 FD entrees
3 FD breakfast
2 FD lunch
1 FD apple cobbler

This will change, I plan on swaping items,, and adding
More lunches
1/2 jar small peanut butter
pack of pepperoni
6 tortias
snack bars
Possibly another 4 lbs

sittinguy
03-07-2015, 08:14
The canteen weight is wrong, its should be 80.00oz The lbs are correct

Doughnut
03-07-2015, 08:51
Pack it all, start hiking, spend 3-5 days then dump everything!!! Whatever you haven't touched or used in 3-5 dys you probably don't need...

ChrisJackson
03-07-2015, 09:10
Pack it all, start hiking, spend 3-5 days then dump everything!!! Whatever you haven't touched or used in 3-5 dys you probably don't need...

This is good advice. I'd not take a camp chair. That is an easy loss of 1.3 lbs. Have fun.

sittinguy
03-07-2015, 18:08
Sorry I'm a newb,, I left off important info. This is for a hike from the Falls to Dick's Creek. I have camped/hiked with this gear, but never more than 2 nights, most of the time 1 night. I just loaded in 2 more lbs of snacks, I am going to have to take less water or I will be breaking 40lbs

Slo-go'en
03-07-2015, 20:53
For one thing, you don't need to carry all that water. 2, 20 oz plastic soda bottles is fine. Once in camp you might want more water which can be stored in a water proof sack.

latex gloves, paper towels, emergency blanket, emergency poncho, tube of compressed towels? All useless stuff.

glenlawson
03-08-2015, 16:19
If the rain conditions are such that your backup poncho needs an emergency backup, you probably don't need a headnet. If it is going to be that rainy, I'd make sure that the primary rain jacket will do the job.

Is the purpose of the light jacket to be for evenings/mornings when it might be too cool for the t-shirt? If so, make it fleecy.

In time you might want to transition your camo rope to spectra cord for hanging your food. Very light and slick on the tree branches. Did you list a bag for hanging your food?

If you need more than 2 liters of water capacity, you might look at a lightweight water bag of some sort that collapses.

Walkintom
03-09-2015, 00:08
Don't leave out the emergency blanket. More people die of hypothermia in mild weather than extreme weather. If you get cold and wet it can save your life, or at a minimum get you semi comfortable instead of miserable all night. Been there.

Ditch the shovel, the headnet, and the bug spray unless you'll be hiking a couple of months from now. Right now, bugs aren't an issue.

Not much need for sunscreen at the moment.

If you're using a poncho you probably don't need a rain jacket also. Keep the poncho and the pants.

Tube of compressed towels, latex gloves, paper towels. Ditch em. You have soap, a hand towel and your kitchen stuff. You're not going to do any better with all those extras so ditch em.

Ditch the canteens and replace them with a bladder or some gatorade bottles. Easier to use and lighter. Since you have a sawyer I'd set it up inline with a bladder.

Things like the chair and camp shoes I consider luxuries. Take em if you want em but they're easy weight to shave if you don't.

LittleRock
03-09-2015, 08:18
Don't leave out the emergency blanket. More people die of hypothermia in mild weather than extreme weather. If you get cold and wet it can save your life, or at a minimum get you semi comfortable instead of miserable all night. Been there.

Ditch the shovel, the headnet, and the bug spray unless you'll be hiking a couple of months from now. Right now, bugs aren't an issue.

Not much need for sunscreen at the moment.

If you're using a poncho you probably don't need a rain jacket also. Keep the poncho and the pants.

Tube of compressed towels, latex gloves, paper towels. Ditch em. You have soap, a hand towel and your kitchen stuff. You're not going to do any better with all those extras so ditch em.

Ditch the canteens and replace them with a bladder or some gatorade bottles. Easier to use and lighter. Since you have a sawyer I'd set it up inline with a bladder.

Things like the chair and camp shoes I consider luxuries. Take em if you want em but they're easy weight to shave if you don't.

+1 to all this.

Don't need a full mess kit. Just bring a cooking pot and spoon and eat out of the pot.

Don't really need a pillow. Just put whatever clothes you aren't wearing in a bag and sleep on that.

Connie
03-09-2015, 08:44
Transfer everything into a smaller container ordered online or found in the beauty section at the drug store has lightweight empty containers. Definitely transfer the peanut butter to a squeezeable bag. The peanut butter jar seems excessive.

Otherwise, everyone else nailed it.

I do think emergency reflective mylar blankets are useless, unless used to reflect warmth of a fire.

The "mummy style" aren't so bad, but even the more expensive and bulky one available really isn't breatheable: you will sweat your clothing soaking wet. Wet and cold, is not good.

Avoid having an emergency. Bring reliable shelter and keep your sleep system dry.

Have one set dry clothing in a dry-bag.

That is what I do, anyway.

q-tip
03-09-2015, 14:07
I have detailed lists for ul (13 lbs)and ltwt (15 lbs) . If interested send me a pm with your email and I will forward. I got the last 4 lbs out literally one ounce at a time. Good Luck!!!

sittinguy
03-09-2015, 22:25
Thankyou all for the advice, I am getting more excited and committed. I've been doing some training, and will start carrying the pack around soon.

I ditched almost everything mentioned.
Cut the mess kit down to just the big pot and 1 cup
Champ chair is out
All the small junk out

went from 33lbs, to 28lbs

I'm keeping the pillow(I like my little pillow) and the canteens for now. And the emergency blanket in case I need to wrap over my sleeping bag with it. I'm a little nervous about my sleeping warmth if it goes below freezing.
Thanks again, I am 1 step closer to making this happen. My plan so far is April 26th at the Falls, hike 5 days, and at some point get a shuttle to the Enterprise car rental and drive home.

Walkintom
03-09-2015, 22:36
If you have to use the emergency blanket, first try putting it under your bag on top of your pad. You won't have to completely deploy it to do so and they seem to really help make a night more bearable without getting you hot and sweaty if just placed under the bag. I've seen guys with 50° bags in cold months using emergency blankets to get by so they could not have to have a cold weather bag. They'd get 2-3 uses out of a blanket before trashing it totally and starting another one.

I don't advise going that route, but the blanket did seem to help them.

If you get genuinely cold, put it inside your bag under you but not enclosing yourself or you'll get drenched.

I have been wet and cold and used one to get enough body heat up to get the process of drying my wet (synthetic) bag drying. After an hour I was pretty toasty but still wet - had steam coming off my bag for next 5 hours and had to dry it in town later. Again, not advisable, but it worked.

Wolf - 23000
03-09-2015, 23:17
sittinguy,

Sense you asked so nicely, I'll be nice. :) Before even looking at your packing list, figure out how you want to do the trail. Some hikers will hike 12-16 hours a day while others may spend 8-9 hours hiking at a slower pace and more time camping. When are you planning on starting? Which way are you hiking? Are you hiking sole or going with a partner. These are questions only you can answer.

Your gear needs to match how you are hiking the trail. A 5 pound pack is heavy just for a pack, but if you are spending more time camping and carry large amount of weight then it might be the right pack for you.

Everyone is going to have their advise on what you need for YOUR hike but they are doing your hike. The best advise I can give you is listen to yourself. Look at what you have in your packing list and how many ways each piece of equipment can be used. Your poncho for example, can be used to cover yourself from the rain while hiking but it can also be used as a shelter, a ground cloth, a Vapor barrier, it can be used as a blanket, a quick throw over while hiking to name just a few. That is how you can spot what you really don't and what to carry.

Hope this helps.

Wolf

sittinguy
03-10-2015, 10:27
I will be at the Falls, on Sunday April 26th heading for Springer. And I hope to get to Dick's creek at least. I don't know what kind of hiker I will be yet. I will be alone.
The poncho I had weighed almost 12ozs, It had to go. As for the 5lb pack, it had the poncho in it when I weighed it, so that took a little off.

Soggybottom
03-10-2015, 16:09
Just my recommendations no judging...No camp chair added wt... no camp soap you shouldnt be wasing with soap in water sources and there are plenty of places to get showers you are going to stink regardless no pillow use clothes bag as pillow no first aid kit keep mole skin or duct tape vitamin I some bandaids. I personally only have ibupofren as I had no problem with blisters. Be sure to hike with your full pack 15 miles minimum to see if your feet can handle it. You are going to get blisters but if you have the right shoes they will heal in a week or so and your feet will toughen. If you have the wrong shoes or socks and dont wash them you will have foot trouble. I would add to your list monkey bum cream aka jock itch aka something to aid chafing. I personally use a small stick of what looks like antiperspirant stick but its for chafing. Outfitters usually have it. Also dont forget TP. I recommend 2 smart water bottles light big and replaceable. Primary rain jacket for over your goosedown and or fleece is a good idea. Ponchos are heavy take up space and get shredded. Look at your weights versus your big 3 at a retailer like Zpacks.com my big 3 weigh as much as your tent. Its just a suggestion but you could easily drop 5 to 15 lbs just based on equipment. Many people lug 50 lbs and enjoy themselves others are miserable. If you have the means lower your weight think about lugging a 10 lb bowling ball from georgia to maine

Wolf - 23000
03-11-2015, 22:40
Ok just looking at your list at a glance and taken in consideration to when you are hiking and other consideration. A 32 degree bag alone is not going to be warm enough starting off down in Georgia. Most likely you will have some COLD nights. Most hikers will take a 0 – 20 degree bag. If you are planning on throwing the poncho inside your sleeping bag inside your sleeping bag (not over it) it will help but you will still be cold and it will take some use to.

Leave out the emergence poncho, paper towels, latex gloves, wisps, sunscreen, bug spray (the south is cold during that time of year). You don’t need them. Pick either TP or butt wipes one or the other. If you use baby wipes, then you can also use them in place of hand sani (in fact, baby wipes work better sense hand sani still leaves the dirt on your hands). A knife is lighter than a muli tool and works just as good – except for the knife what tools do you really need.
Emerg blanket does not work at all. An Emergency blanket works by reflecting your body heat. If you are already freezing or soaked your body is not generating enough heat to be reflected that will warm you up. A light rain jacket is not going to be enough. You are going to want something that is warmer.

A soda bottle works just as good as a canteens. I like using soda bottle better not just because they are lighter but after it is cleaner. After a while hiking your canteen is going to collect some nasty build up. A soda bottle you can get another soda bottle at every town.

Right now it looks like you are packing for warmer weather. The south can get cold at night. You are in the mountains and within the about two – three weeks going over the highest point on the AT. You need to be ready.

Hope this helps.

Wolf