PDA

View Full Version : Just looking for some info

mnof1000v
11-03-2005, 14:42
I've not gone on any seriously extended hikes, but I've had an itch to try my hand on the AT for a couple years now. I have about 6 to 6 1/2 months to do it before the start of grad school for me in the fall. I've done a lot of reading on the subject, but I'm thinking I might need some advice. Rather than just go off what these books are telling me (which honestly seems like too much stuff that's definitely too heavy), I figured I'd go to the source of such knowledge itself. I mean, a forum like this has to have more collective knowledge than some random author trying to make a quick buck - especially considering his writing was probably sponsored by a gear outfitter.

Anyway... I'm trying to compile a list of needs, wants, and don't needs for my hike of uncertain length (potentially and hopefully ending in Maine), starting in Georgia in early March.

What gear would people say is absolutely necessary? What is nice to have? And, most importantly, what would be foolish to bring?

Whistler
11-03-2005, 14:48
Check out the Featured Articles section of the site [link in upper-right-hand corner]. There's some great reading there for sample gear lists and some things to leave behind.
-Mark

mnof1000v
11-03-2005, 17:09
Will do, my friend. Thanks.

Grey Fox
11-04-2005, 11:39
Don't worry either, if you start out and you are carrying too much or too little gear, Neel's gap and the Walasi-Yi Center are just a few days from Springer Mountain. I sent home oodles of gear from there on my 04 hike.

bfitz
11-04-2005, 12:32
Yeah, the first few weeks are full of experiments, and no ones final system ever really resembles any one elses. People find out what works for them. The books and stuff are good for checklists, but there are always a few things on every checklist that are unneeded. One method suggested to me by another hiker is after two or three days out, if you haven't used an item, send it home. Watching other hikers and listening to the guys at neels gap will be your best source. (I dopped like 20 pounds at neels gap...and bought hiking poles)

Uncle Silly
11-04-2005, 12:55
What gear would people say is absolutely necessary? What is nice to have? And, most importantly, what would be foolish to bring?

if you're a musician, an instrument could be anywhere from "nice" to "absolutely necessary". i play bass fiddle and mandolin, and carried a cheapie mando 1100 miles this year. for me it was "absolutely necessary" and only cost me 3lbs -- mandolin, gig bag, spare set of strings (and i did break a few), tuning fork, picks, and chord and song notes.

otoh, my bass fiddle would fall in the "foolish" category. but if anyone wants to help me figure out a way to build a portable, collapsible bass fiddle that doubles as a pack ...
:banana

jackiebolen
11-04-2005, 15:40
Read Ray Jardine's "Beyond Backpacking." His ultralight gear list is probably the minimum most people would bring on the AT and he gives the rationale behind it.