PDA

View Full Version : SNP this March

TroutknuT
03-07-2015, 11:25
Your thoughts on doing the Shenendo section MARCH 12. Starting at Rockfish Gap to the 4H center outside Front Royal. As I see it it'll be about 107 miles with no option for a resupply,
and poor to no chance of a hitch out. I'm just not looking forward carrying 8 days of food. Dose anyone know the trail condition in the park? I still have five days for things to improve and skyline driver to reopen.:-?

jimmyjam
03-07-2015, 11:45
There will likely be some icy spots, I would carry yaktraks or microspikes. There will still be weekend hikers as long as the road is open. Take the list of shuttlers from the ATC web site or as you leave the road from Rockfish, look on the back of the first tree and there is usually a list of trail angels posted there.

Slo-go'en
03-07-2015, 11:55
With all the park services closed that does make it a bit more difficult. If the parkway opens it might be possible to hitch into Luray but that's almost at the end and doesn't help much.

Looks like it's finally going to warm up some next week. With conditions so variable this time of year any reports you get will be different the next day. I would guess "sloppy". Might be a good idea to bring something like microspikes if you run into icy patches of trail. Keep in mind if there has been any kind of traffic on the trails it packs the snow down, which then turns to ice and is the last to melt.

TroutknuT
03-07-2015, 11:55
Thanks already ordered Yaktrax paid 30 dollars for next day shipping. Order is held up midway due to weather. This will be day five looking in the mailbox. Good to know about the shuttle tree, I have a few numbers and checked in with a few of them.

jimmyjam
03-07-2015, 11:58
The Byrd Visitor Center is the only thing open in the park at this time:Open Fridays, Saturdays, and Sundays, and Holiday Mondays (Jan. 19 and Feb. 16) 9:30 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.

scudder
03-07-2015, 12:14
lots of melting this coming week= mud and plentiful water. most likely some refreeze to deal with in the am. resupply possible at bear mt grocery 3 mi west on 33

Donde
03-07-2015, 13:09
You should be able to hitch into Luray on 211 regardless of Skyline being open, as long as it is not right after a snow storm 211 will be open.