PDA

View Full Version : laundry getting lost?

squeezebox
03-07-2015, 23:43
Since some of the hostels do your laundry for you. I imagine because it's more efficient to do more than 1 person's stuff per load. Since we wear a lot of the same stuff, ex. darn tuff socks, wool base layers etc., How often have you lost clothes or received the wrong clothes back? I'm thinking of marking most of my clothes and gear in some way. Something like marking out the D in darn tuff, or a black square on the labels of my clothes, I will put my trail name, real name phone # and direction of travel on a piece of paper on my hiking poles and clear tape it to my poles. Lost poles seem to happen often. Also who to call in case of emergency on a 3x5 clear tape over it, put 1 in wallet, 1 in the lid on my pack. But writing this I feel my sphincter tightening up way too much.

Hangfire
03-08-2015, 03:14
Write your first initial on the middle toe of the sock, if the socks are black...I don't know how to mark it. You can also put your initials on the tags of everything else. I personally never heard of clothing mix ups, maybe for just a few minutes but they always got straightened out. I know one guy that got his poles swiped in front of a grocery store in Lincoln NH, but it was pretty apparent that it was not a hiker that did it. I made a point of putting a distinct type of tape on my trekking poles for ID, then went about 1000 miles before I even saw someone with the same type. It's amazing how many variations of equipment you will see out there, but surprisingly if you put a little effort into keeping things in front of you it's relatively easy to avoid mix ups.

Oh yeah make sure and put your name on your bear bag, that seemed to be an easier mix up than anything else out there!

Starchild
03-08-2015, 07:00
Was never a problem for me. There was enough dissimilarity, even darn tough comes in different colors and styles. YMMV

kayak karl
03-08-2015, 07:46
i had so few articles of clothing i recognized them very quickly. never a problem

Slo-go'en
03-08-2015, 14:02
Never lost a piece of clothing to a wash.

I once accidentally left my poles stuck into the ground at a parking lot while hitching into town. They were still there when I got back a couple of hours later.

CarlZ993
03-08-2015, 15:49
I never lost any clothing when I shared washers/dryers. Sometimes, it took some time to figure out which socks were mine.

BillyGr
03-08-2015, 17:42
Seems someone had suggested a mesh type bag that could go in a washer with the clothing in it, which would allow it to get washed but keep it all together. Something like that might be easy enough, and probably not very heavy to carry either.

Slo-go'en
03-08-2015, 17:44
Seems someone had suggested a mesh type bag that could go in a washer with the clothing in it, which would allow it to get washed but keep it all together. Something like that might be easy enough, and probably not very heavy to carry either.

It probably wouldn't work very well and could unbalance the washer which could damage it. I don't think that is a very good idea.

Uriah
03-08-2015, 18:01
It is a well known fact that most washers and dryers possess a hidden (albeit hungry) portal leading to a parallel universe. And so it is a few of us lose socks or other attire each time a load of laundry is attempted. For we types it is best to avoid these portals entirely and to stick with wearing malodorous garb. Thankfully, long trails are indifferent to this stench. Moreover, creeks only pilfer clothing with our neglect.

woodguy
03-08-2015, 18:25
I usually dont bring much clothing on any hike, so I do my own wash whenever possible. Can't afford to have anything dissappear.

Sandy of PA
03-08-2015, 22:18
Black socks can be marked with a silver sharpie. I mark everything and make sure I have it all when the laundry comes back. I did have a pair of panties try to escape by staying in the washer, but the hostel owner found them in time.

Flounder940
03-08-2015, 22:45
Lost the belt to my shorts at Uncle Johnny's. I had to buy a dog leash and make do.

Walkintom
03-08-2015, 22:54
Never lost anything in the laundry while hiking. Do that all time time at home, though.

virginia jen
03-08-2015, 23:08
Only thing I lost was a buff. And that's only because I forgot about I'd washed it, so forgot to look for it in the laundry jumble. Can take a few minutes to get everybody's socks straightened out, one always tends to be sticking to somebody else's clothing.
Oh, and most places that do laundry for you are really great if you've got special needs laundry as long as you ask nicely. (Ie, if you actually pay attention & wash wool layers the way the instructions say- I never bothered, but saw others ask & have no problems. My wool stuff did fine washed & dried normally)