PDA

View Full Version : Thru Hike 2017

lebowhunter14
03-08-2015, 06:22
Thinking really hard about thru hiking in 2017. The only thing that seems to be bothering me right is what will I do when I get done. Can anyone provide feedback on experience of returning to work/finding a job after a thru hike? Thanks!

Lyle
03-08-2015, 09:09
At your age, if you have the desire - just go for it. Adventures in life do not just fall in our laps (that's why hiking the trail is a "life-long dream" of so many), we have to make the time and commit to them in order to make them happen. I wish I had learned that lesson at your age.

I doubt finding a job will be much harder six months delayed. After the hike some folks are ready to return to work, re-connect with the money, social life, etc. Others discover that those things are far less important, and thus the hiking experience broadens their idea of what an acceptable job might be, long-term. I know for me, one of the most liberating lessons I learned while doing a long-distance hike was how few "things" and how little money I actually needed to be safe, warm, and very happy. Brings much peace and contentment just knowing this for a fact in my mind, even when dealing with a mortgage, bills, cars, remodeling, etc. I know that at this phase in life, these are the things I "want" for happiness, they are definitely not things I "need" for happiness. Great lesson to learn early rather than late in life.

So again, if you have the opportunity, lack other important obligations, can accrue the money, and have the desire to do it now - make it happen. I highly doubt you will ever regret it.

Worry about getting a job when you get back.

Lone Wolf
03-08-2015, 09:16
Thinking really hard about thru hiking in 2017. The only thing that seems to be bothering me right is what will I do when I get done. Can anyone provide feedback on experience of returning to work/finding a job after a thru hike? Thanks!

i went to northern vermont after my 2nd thru-hike and got a job at a ski area. worked there the next 10 winters. and hiked in the spring

4eyedbuzzard
03-08-2015, 09:19
Unless you would be giving up something that couldn't be replaced, like a serious relationship, GREAT job/career, etc., just do it. Worry about plain old employment when you get done.

lebowhunter14
03-08-2015, 10:53
Thanks for all the input. I'm currently working at a manufacturing plant and have been for over a year with great pay and great benefits And I know it's something that could easily end up being a career. I would really like to get into law enforcement and Im thinking coming back from a thru hike would be a great time To transition into a career field that I really want.

4eyedbuzzard
03-08-2015, 11:44
Thanks for all the input. I'm currently working at a manufacturing plant and have been for over a year with great pay and great benefits And I know it's something that could easily end up being a career. I would really like to get into law enforcement and Im thinking coming back from a thru hike would be a great time To transition into a career field that I really want.The longer you stay in a given job field, the harder it is to change due to the pay cut, security, familiarity, etc. You're young and likely don't have family responsibilities. Once you do, it's very difficult if not impossible to take 4 - 6 months off both work and family until you are retirement age. Now would seem to be your window of opportunity. The only caveat - if you don't have lots of hiking experience, take as many section hikes between now and 2017 as possible before quitting or taking a leave of absence, and make sure hiking and living day to day in the woods for months is something you really want to do. You can also be going to school for LEO classes for the new career while working up until then. Best of luck!

mattjv89
03-08-2015, 12:32
Well I'm about to start my thru-hike so I can't speak about actually finding a job after finishing, but in my experience having a good cushion of living expenses saved up has really helped to quell anxiety about how life will go post-trail. I've saved enough to hike comfortably and support myself afterwards for 3 to 4 months with no income if it really comes down to it. Takes away much of the anxiety about future plans when I won't have an immediate need to get work.

Wülfgang
03-08-2015, 13:27
Everyone's situation is different, but there are distinct advantages to doing your hike in your early 20's as opposed to later in adulthood. Like 4eyed said, it is almost impossible for most people to take 4-6 months off from work and family obligations during that period from career beginnings to retirement.

Some people are lucky enough to get a leave of absence from their employer. Some have unique jobs that are conducive to long hikes. Many take advantage of that post-college bubble when responsibilities are low, and of course many retired people hike the trail.

The best plan of action is to have enough money saved up to cover not only your trail expenses and "opportunity costs" (costs of putting your regular life on hold), but also have enough saved to float you through 3-4 months of potential unemployment after you return. This will depend a lot on your skills/career, local job market, etc...but 3-4 months is a good time frame. I personally budgeted about $20k for my hike (!) when I was planning, but I have huge student loans and opportunity costs. My 2015 plan fell through because I lost a job and those financial obligations quickly ate up my savings plan.

If you have the means and freedom to do so, just get out there and hike it. Get some experience on 3-7 day trips, figure out your gear, and make sure you have a safety net when you get back.

4shot
03-08-2015, 13:27
The longer you stay in a given job field, the harder it is to change due to the pay cut, security, familiarity, etc. You're young and likely don't have family responsibilities. Once you do, it's very difficult if not impossible to take 4 - 6 months off both work and family until you are retirement age. Now would seem to be your window of opportunity.

this is good advice....generally, thru hikers fall into 2 main age groups: 1) 25 and below and 2) 50 and up. Based on what I have seen over the years, this rule of thumb is 92%? 98%? accurate (meaning there are exceptions). Everyone (or, should I say most) in between these 2 age groups are doing that job, mortgage, financial planning and family thing (not that there is anything wrong with that, to quote Seinfield). Not saying that you can't thru hike when you are 33, but the data suggests it is far less likely. Go for it.