PDA

View Full Version : Conditions near HF

Coffee
03-08-2015, 11:20
Daylight savings time and warmer temperatures are inspiring me to head out to HF on the Friday afternoon train and start walking south for a few days. I assume that there's still plenty of snow on the ground in HF and the surrounding AT. Anyone have an idea on whether we can expect snow or ice on the ground on the AT between HF and Sky Meadows or Manassas Gap a week from now? I'd like to avoid a slushy mess.

thestin
03-08-2015, 11:39
I drove by the Trail outside of Front Royal this morning. Still a lot of snow, but with highs in the 50s this week and rain on Tuesday I'd expect that most of the snow will be gone by Friday. Be prepared for muddy conditions.

Studlintsean
03-08-2015, 11:51
If you're planning on going the weekend of the 21st I can probably give you an update. If you go next weekend, I might run into you depending on if/ where I end up going. I know, that wasn't much help.

Coffee
03-08-2015, 12:28
I think that I'll wait and see how the week develops and maybe I'll bump this post later in the week to see if anyone local has insights. It is quite warm today here near DC. Shorts and t shirt weather for running, so I'm optimistic.

squeezebox
03-08-2015, 12:42
March weather can change a lot in a day or 2.

linus72
03-09-2015, 09:41
will be there that weekend as well, checkin out the headquarters, civil war sites and hopin to head up weverton cliffs or the maryland heights overlook. hoping we wont need much more than microspikes if at all.

linus72
03-26-2015, 13:13
from fresh snowfall last friday morning there was about 3 inches at the top of the ridge of loudon heights in the morning and nothing below 600' elevation had any sign of snow. as we were coming back down and doing the town section of trail the sun came out full force and temps rose and i'd imagine there's not much if any snow left up on the hills by now