PDA

View Full Version : Looking for day hike recommendations in Southern PA

HikerHarris
03-08-2015, 12:43
Hi: I am looking for some recommendations for a short day hike on the AT in the Southern part of PA. I have friends coming from the U.K. who want to hike the AT after seeing pictures I have posted on Facebook. Hoping someone here can help with an idea. Here are a few things:

- They really want to see some views/vistas. Very important.
- While they are both fit, they are not everyday hikers so it needs to be somewhere we can get to within a few miles from parking.
- Must be on, or close to, the AT
- Should be near Gettysburg

Can anyone help? I am in the Harrisburg area and wanted to originally take them to The Pinnacle but plans have changed and now others want to tour Gettysburg while we hike. I don't know of anything too scenic on this part of the AT. Maybe Pole Steeple?

Thanks.

ny breakfast
03-08-2015, 13:42
pen mar park might be a possibility 30 min. drive outside of Gettysburg can lengthen or shorten the hike to suit your needs. if i recall there are a few small parking areas on cross roads leading up to pen mar or start at penn mar and theres a view not to far into maryland and the veiw at pen mar park.

HikerHarris
03-08-2015, 17:06
Thanks NY Breakfast. I appreciate that and would appreciate any other input from fellow hikers.

Soggybottom
03-09-2015, 11:54
I could give you a number of day hikes. You could go to Camp Penn in the Old Forge near Waynesboro and hike north on the trail from there. It is all up hill for 2 to 3 hrs but coming back it is a breeze. You get a great view from Chimney Rocks of the Waynesboro Reservoir. Or you could go to Pen Mar Park and hike the 2-3 miles to High Rock and if needed walk the road back to the park 2 miles if you don't want to retrace your steps. Beautiful views of the valley. These are nice day hikes. Also you could go to the Shippensburg Road and hike to Pine Grove Furnace. Spend the night at the Ironmasters and walk back next day. Or easily hike from Boiling Springs it is very flat there. Hike out till you feel you want to turn around and go back.

Soggybottom
03-09-2015, 11:59
Also a number of hikes near Caledonia just google it.

AegisIII
03-09-2015, 21:53
Pole Steeple is an obvious choice and has a great view, but it is a bit more popular of a destination than I like. Sunset Rocks is also in the PGF area, has a good view, and is less visited. In southern Michaux is Chimney Rocks. If you want to get off the AT and try some unblazed trails, there's a very nice triple vista loop you can do that's cardinal north from Pine Grove Furnace which I could mention, but if you've not been there there's a good chance of getting lost.

Have you checked out http://www.midatlantichikes.com for the area?

shelb
03-10-2015, 21:05
We really enjoyed the area north and south of PenMar park!

HikerHarris
03-13-2015, 09:29
Thanks everyone. This is very helpful and I will check them out. I appreciate it very much.