PDA

View Full Version : Gear List Help - NOBO Leaving March 11th

Boo8meR
03-08-2015, 13:56
Hey all,

I've finally weighed all of my gear and put it into list form. I published it on my blog and would really appreciate it if some of the more experienced (than I) people here would comb over it and let me know what I can add/remove to make it a better thru-hike.

I'll be leaving on Tuesday to head down to AFSP to stay in the lodge and hitting the trail on Wednesday morning. I don't think I have time to order anything else and have it here in time without paying for overnight shipping; but, I'll be passing an REI on the way down there so I can stop into one, if needed. Also, if there's something I forgot that you guys feel is imperative, I'll pay for overnight shipping if I can't pick it up on the way.

The blog is listed in my signature, and the gear list is the most recent update. Feel free to subscribe/follow along with the blog as I'll be updating it regularly from the trail with both pictures, stories, and videos.

Thanks!

Boo8meR
03-08-2015, 14:09
I just realized that TP and blister tape aren't listed. Minimal weight, but not listed.

Slo-go'en
03-08-2015, 14:13
You don't list much in the way of clothes.

Mountain Crossings at Neels Gap can supply you with anything you find you need after 3 days on the trail. Just bring a wad of spare money.

Boo8meR
03-08-2015, 14:19
You don't list much in the way of clothes.

Mountain Crossings at Neels Gap can supply you with anything you find you need after 3 days on the trail. Just bring a wad of spare money.

Sorry - I only listed what's going to be in the pack. Clothing will be worn - Exifficio underwear, merino base layer, mid weight top with hood, synthetic pants, injinji liners with darn tough socks, trail running shoes, gaiters, hat.

fastfoxengineering
03-08-2015, 14:21
If your putting your down products and hammock in dry sacks then I don't really think a pack cover is necessary with a cuben pack and a cuben liner. I know it extremely light, but isn't necessary imho.

You may want to up your water storage capacity. Personally, I like to be able to bottle at least 4L. I never carry 4L. But 2x 2L water bottles for hiking and a 2L softbottle for extra camp water. Having to make an another extra long trip back to the water source sucks. 4L gives you enough to cook dinner with, drink water with dinner, and wake up with water for breakfast and to head of hiking with.

Why cordage listed twice? bear bag rope and zpacks cordage under shelter? is the first one guy out lines?

What about long underwear baselayers?

Toothpaste?

overall looks good, you have some top quality gear. should serve you well. seems like you did your homework

Boo8meR
03-08-2015, 14:25
The ZLine is my guy out line, just weighed in bulk because I'll keep what little is left over for spare cordage.

I also just realized I did forget to add my running shorts and short sleeve shirt. Long underwear base layers will be worn. Should I bring extras?

Dr. Bronner's is my toothpaste, too.

Boo8meR
03-08-2015, 14:29
What about scrapping the small towel since I'll have the bandana? I just thought it might be nice to have along in case the bandana is covered in sweat and there isn't a water source nearby to rinse it...

map man
03-08-2015, 14:41
You may want to hang on to that warmer quilt for longer than a month -- more like two months. When you do send it home to swap it for the cooler one you could send home the insulated pants along with it (along with evaluating other clothes for warmer weather hiking). As you note on your blog the rain gear is heavy. Replacing it would depend on whether you want to spend the money and on whether REI has something of quality significantly lighter.

fastfoxengineering
03-08-2015, 15:11
Do you really brush your teeth with Dr. B's ... just asking. Cause if you haven't tried it. Your in for a surprise. If you do, well, your tougher than me.

I like to bring a few small sheets of paper and a mechanical pencil for a grocery list, notes, phone numbers, misc info..you could always use a note app on your phone. I'm old school

keep your heavy rain gear for the beginning, then switch it out for driducks in warm weather. you won't be using it often, very rarely in fact, so driducks will suit you well and save you a bunch of weight.

bring the bandana and towel. the extra oz of a bandana wont kill you. people find all sorts of uses for em. if you don't need it, throw it in a hiker box.

you've got more than enough to hit the trail and be safe...unpack and repack your bag a few times everyday till you hit the trail to find out what works best for you in terms of packing it efficiently.

more importantly, why don't you throw on your hiking clothes and trail runners and go for a run this instant. then drink some water, and some more water. it takes a few days for your body to be properly hydrated. and hitting the trail properly hydrated can alleviate and help with injuries, stresses, etc the first few days.

ps.. have you taken care of your taxes this year?!

whiteblaze is no longer here for you lol!

Boo8meR
03-08-2015, 15:21
Taxes were done last week, I've been hydrating and hitting a trail every day. The Dr. Bronner's isn't amazing, but it works. If I can shave a few more ounces, I'll swap in a travel size tube of toothpaste.

I'd wondered about driducks but just questioned their durability. I like that you mentioned bringing the heavier rain gear because they're still on the list because of their weight. I don't know which way I'm going to go, yet, but I figure their extra weight might help keep me a little warmer early on if it's both cold and raining.

CarlZ993
03-08-2015, 15:43
I can't do metric weight calculations in my head. I know cuben stuff is very light. I didn't see long underwear in your clothing list. If you're wearing long underwear to hike in, you need DRY long underwear to sleep in. March 11 could be very cold. I wouldn't hike in any down clothing as well.

I'm a big fan of having extra water when I'm @ camp. Looks like you have about 2 1/2 L of water capacity. A 2-L Platypus bladder would only add 1.3 oz or so of weight for a significant water increase.

I prefer to use AAA-battery headlamps rather than button-battery headlamps. A 2-AA headlamp wouldn't weigh much more than the one you're taking, put out more light, & batteries will be easier & cheaper along the way.

Given the time of year & recent weather patterns, I'd carry some Microspikes. I wish I had brought mine on my thru-hike (& I started on 3/21). I saw some people end their thru-hike within 2 weeks of their start from falling on icy trails. I busted my butt on many occasions. Word to the wise....

Good luck on your hike. Stay warm & stay safe.

Slo-go'en
03-08-2015, 15:45
I'd rather use real toothpaste with cavity fighting additives than soap.

You need two sets of clothes, one for hiking and one for camp. What ever you hike in will be wet from sweat or rain and you need something dry to change into at the end of the day. BTW, you'll not be hiking in long johns unless it's 10 below.

A long sleeve shirt is also useful, keeps your arms from getting sun burnt until the trees leaf out and keeps you warmer. Maybe that's the mid weight top and hood?

Boo8meR
03-08-2015, 15:47
Hey Carl - the plan was to sleep in the down. Would you still carry an extra base layer if you were planning to sleep in the down? I have extra sets of SmartWool tops and bottoms, I think light and mid weight for each. Would you add a top & bottom to the list? Not planning to hike in the down unless it gets super cold. I have some micro spikes I can add to the list - good call.

Boo8meR
03-08-2015, 15:51
I'd rather use real toothpaste with cavity fighting additives than soap.

You need two sets of clothes, one for hiking and one for camp. What ever you hike in will be wet from sweat or rain and you need something dry to change into at the end of the day. BTW, you'll not be hiking in long johns unless it's 10 below.

A long sleeve shirt is also useful, keeps your arms from getting sun burnt until the trees leaf out and keeps you warmer. Maybe that's the mid weight top and hood?

Yes, the mid weight top with the hood will serve that purpose until it warms up and then I'll switch to a lightweight synthetic long sleeve top.

So if I won't be hiking in the merino base layer (why?) do I need to bring 2 pairs?

Slo-go'en
03-08-2015, 17:57
It's kind of hard to judge clothes without seeing them all laid out. So long as you have a change of base layers, your okay. Erring on the side of caution this time of year is a good thing. You can always send things home, but don't let a couple of warms days fool you.

Boo8meR
03-08-2015, 19:16
Thanks for the advice. That's why my pack is as heavy as it is - I opted for heavier rain gear, a 5-10 degree bag vs. the 30F, and I'm bringing a down top and bottom. I suppose I could always throw an extra set of base layers in there and send them home if/when it warms up, I just have a 30lb max on this pack and I'm cutting where I can.

Boo8meR
03-08-2015, 19:19
So - how many of you would bring 2 sets of base layer vs. one set and wearing down at night? I'm all ears. Leaving Tuesday so I want to get it sorted out before I head south...

Boo8meR
03-08-2015, 20:08
I can get a new rain set on Amazon and have it here before I leave on Tuesday. I can save about a pound doing this. Would you guys do it or keep the heavier stuff knowing it's going to be cold? I have base layers and down and don't THINK the extra weight of the rain gear should matter when it comes to warmth...

fastfoxengineering
03-08-2015, 20:35
Because I hike in shorts, if I were to be heading to springer now, I'd carry a lightweight pair of long bottoms to hike in and another for sleeping in. I'd send a pair home once it warmed up a bit. If I were hiking in pants I wouldn't worry about it.

For your rain gear problem, if it's old stuff that could use replacing why not go for a new set. It doesn't sound like your on a tight budget. The weight savings is nice too.

When I'm due for new rain gear, i'm going for Mont-Bells versatile jacket and pants unless something new hits the market. Check em out.

However, as a mentioned before. Could always roll with what you got then pick up some driducks for lightweight summer rain gear. Don't worry about its durability, your not going to be using it often.

Boo8meR
03-08-2015, 20:39
Because I hike in shorts, if I were to be heading to springer now, I'd carry a lightweight pair of long bottoms to hike in and another for sleeping in. I'd send a pair home once it warmed up a bit. If I were hiking in pants I wouldn't worry about it.

For your rain gear problem, if it's old stuff that could use replacing why not go for a new set. It doesn't sound like your on a tight budget. The weight savings is nice too.

When I'm due for new rain gear, i'm going for Mont-Bells versatile jacket and pants unless something new hits the market. Check em out.

However, as a mentioned before. Could always roll with what you got then pick up some driducks for lightweight summer rain gear. Don't worry about its durability, your not going to be using it often.

I'm just worried about adding food, fuel, and water and getting close to 30lbs. What can you guys tell me about an Arc Blast with a little more weight than recommended?

fastfoxengineering
03-08-2015, 21:01
I think your good to 30lbs as long as it's not all the time. Will Wood used one on his thru hike last year and did a good review on it. He mentioned that people who always had their pack arc blast to 30+ lbs had problems with it wearing out early. Makes sense. It's an ultralight pack, made with ultralight materials, for an ultralight load.

I plan on getting one at some point. My base weight will be in the 9-10lb range though.

Also, remember, on the AT, it's not neccessary to typically carry more than a liter of water and 4 days of food

CarlZ993
03-08-2015, 21:31
Hey Carl - the plan was to sleep in the down. Would you still carry an extra base layer if you were planning to sleep in the down? I have extra sets of SmartWool tops and bottoms, I think light and mid weight for each. Would you add a top & bottom to the list? Not planning to hike in the down unless it gets super cold. I have some micro spikes I can add to the list - good call.
If you are sleeping in down, you probably won't need a 2nd set of long underwear. With your 10 deg quilt, you'll be quite toasty.

When it was really cold on my hike, I'd wear my hiking pants w/ no long underwear underneath. I'd wear a short sleeve undershirt, long-sleeve hiking shirt, fleece vest, and a wind jacket. I'd also have a knit camp underneath my boonie hat & gloves. I would hike cool (or slightly cold). I tried to limit the amount that I sweated. I stopped rarely. When I did, I put my rain jacket on. I'd eat something, drink something, & rest a little. Then, I'd take off my rain jacket, & start hiking again. When I stopped for the day, I'd be sure to add appropriate layers to stay warm.

When walking through slushy snow, my shoes would get pretty wet. At night, I'd put my wet socks & shoes in a waterproof stuff sack & sleep w/ it in my sleeping bag. That way, my shoes wouldn't free solid over night. I foresaw that problem & got a few 'ah ha' comments from other hikers. The next morning, I'd put on wet shoes & socks. But, they weren't frozen (unlike some of the other people; that looked miserable putting on frozen shoes).

Again, good luck on your hike.

Boo8meR
03-08-2015, 21:42
Brilliant.

Boo8meR
03-09-2015, 09:52
I also just remembered that I have AWOL's guide on .pdf so I can sub in the AT Data book to save some weight and still have a hard copy backup.

Boo8meR
03-09-2015, 11:25
I also just remembered that I have AWOL's guide on .pdf so I can sub in the AT Data book to save some weight and still have a hard copy backup.

I just checked the weights and doing this saves 8oz.