PDA

View Full Version : Potential Partner Nervous About Hitchhiking

Starcrossed
03-08-2015, 19:14
So, I've been wanting to hike the trail for a couple of years now and have decided I'd like to do it in the next couple of years (probably after I've finished school). I'm in a committed relationship and when I brought up my hopes to hike, he expressed interest in joining me. Obviously, I told him there's a lot of research and things to do to make sure he actually does want to go with me, but he seemed pretty on board with most things I've told him about the trail... But then I brought up hitchhiking. He says he's absolutely 100% against, but I said there was no way I was walking the additional 5 miles off the trail and back anytime I wanted to go into town. Anyways, I was wondering if anyone has faced a similar problem with either a hiking partner, significant other, or family and what you said to put their mind at ease. I'll go without him if I have to, but it's an experience I want to share with him and I just know hiking together wouldn't work if we don't agree on big issues like this.

Starcrossed
03-08-2015, 19:16
Boy oh boy, I haven't got the slightest clue why I wrote "potention" rather than the "potential" I was going for. Sorry everyone!

glenlawson
03-08-2015, 19:25
I think he needs to get out and meet the community before he makes his decision. Catching a ride from a trail crossing into town isn't the same as standing out by the truckstop on the interstate. You're not really hitch hiking, your catching a ride with trail people.

He probably doesn't understand how you can make plans to go hiking, travel to the trail, and within 2 hours you meet people you'll spend the next 5 days walking and camping with.

It's a trail thing. You need to get him on the trail, any trail, so he can experience the community. He'll come around.

bigcranky
03-08-2015, 19:57
My wife was nervous about hitching, but once we'd done it a few times and she realized that it was okay, she's been fine with it.

It's not just the five miles into town, it's that they are all downhill from the gap, then five miles back uphill to the gap, all on a narrow twisty two-lane road with traffic going by at high speed. Walking is not a good idea :)

squeezebox
03-08-2015, 20:03
Like Glenlawson said!!!

Lone Wolf
03-08-2015, 20:50
call for a shuttle. it's what hikers do now. i still hitch

Slo-go'en
03-08-2015, 21:09
Don't worry, you'll have plenty of male "chaperons" to make sure your safe hitch hiking. That should put the BF's fears to rest :)

Frye
03-08-2015, 21:33
I wouldn't even worry about it. After a good ten mile hike into town to resupply he'll rethink his stance on the subject.

Road walks have a special way of depleting the soul.

Walkintom
03-08-2015, 23:10
His preconception about hitching may be the tip of some other icebergs. Lots of people have all sorts of wrong conceptions of what it's like to hike the AT.

Better lower the water level and find out what else is lurking before you set out on a grand adventure together. Get out and do some 2-3 day section hikes. Doesn't have to be on the AT, just get in some trail time together. Work out how you'll get along and get things done. Figure out how well you pace together. Do a hike where you have a 5-10 mile roadwalk back to the car after a couple of days out on the trail. Give him an opportunity to rethink the hitching decision without actually pushing him to hitch.

LIhikers
03-09-2015, 00:58
Since my wife and I have started hiking the AT in sections, we've done many things we always told our kids Not to do.
I hope you two can work tis out.

bobtomaskovic
03-09-2015, 03:11
I was not going to hitch on my thru, that lasted about 2 days

lemon b
03-09-2015, 13:29
Being cautious while hitch hiking is a good thing. I won't get into a vehicle if I smell weed or alcohol. Always wise not to just jump right in and any reasonable person offering a ride will understand.

Hot Flash
03-09-2015, 14:57
You're far safer hitchhiking than you are walking around your own city.

rickb
03-09-2015, 19:15
The only mention of an AT Thruhiker being sexually assaulted while hitchhiking that came to came to the attention of this forum was in 2008.

More information here: http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php/36402-Man-faces-charges-of-assault-on-AT-hiker

Of course many hundreds/thousands of female thru-hikers have hitchhiker on the AT before and since without incident.

Lone Wolf
03-09-2015, 20:08
You're far safer hitchhiking than you are walking around your own city.

i don't know about that....

Alligator
03-09-2015, 22:24
I think he needs to get out and meet the community before he makes his decision. Catching a ride from a trail crossing into town isn't the same as standing out by the truckstop on the interstate. You're not really hitch hiking, your catching a ride with trail people.

He probably doesn't understand how you can make plans to go hiking, travel to the trail, and within 2 hours you meet people you'll spend the next 5 days walking and camping with.

It's a trail thing. You need to get him on the trail, any trail, so he can experience the community. He'll come around.This isn't necessarily true about hitch hiking. It's a mixed bag regarding who will pick you up. You might have a driver with a trail connection: a relative of a thru-hiker, a hiker, or a local friend of the trail. On the other hand, might just be a local on his way to work, an out of state tourist, or a senior with time to kill. I'm not discounting the trail's influence. People who don't normally hitch do so while hiking and drivers who normally don't pick up hitchers will do so for hikers.

If you're traveling with your boyfriend you will be fine in general with the two of you. Just exercise reasonable caution and avoid impaired drivers or sketchy drivers.

Or call a shuttle as LW suggested, some hostels may pick up (free or paid check first). Sometimes mass transit will work as well or there is even free use of a bicycle. Plan resupplies at short town walks where possible.

MuddyWaters
03-09-2015, 23:40
Under 10 miles or so, plan to hit road early am and just walk it. Someone will probably stop and offer anyway. Downhill on paved road, goes fast, especially with empty pack.

In town talk up a ride back to trail from someone in a diner, laundry, hotel, etc.

Of course if you carry a lot of weight, hike low miles, and resupply often, its more of an issue. 5 miles is about 1.5 hr stroll on a road, i wouldnt give that a second thought personally , thats nothing, unless its at end of a very long day.