PDA

View Full Version : RX glasses while hiking?

efosterw
03-08-2015, 21:14
Just got prescription glasses (long overdue). What tips do you glasses-wearing hikers have for me? I've noticed they fog while hiking when temps are cool; wearing them down a bit on the bridge of my nose seems to help this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old Hiker
03-08-2015, 21:24
1. Clean, DRY bandana for wiping them every now and then.
2. Baseball type hat for keeping MOST of the rain off.
3. Take them off in heavy rain - have a SAFE place to keep them until it eases off.
4. My tent has a small pocket by the door - RELIGIOUSLY put them into the pocket at night.

Frye
03-08-2015, 21:38
I don't even bring glasses when backpacking, just my contacts. I much prefer removing em in the evening and putting em back in the morning over constantly wiping em off and whatnot throughout the day. I also don't have to worry about breaking anything as I use disposables. It might seem more complicated but it's actually easier.

Connie
03-08-2015, 22:02
I use Croakies to keep my eyeglasses on my face: even a small twig can fling eyeglasses off your face.

I wear a Sou'wester rainhat with the back brim around in front to keep rain off my eyeglasses.

I haven't had a problem with fog, however those face masks that pinch closed over your nosebridge area of your face will prevent your breath from fogging your eyeglasses if you have a problem.

I keep a special cloth for wiping eyeglass lenses in the little vinyl case provided for the cloth: never use a just any "soft cloth" that will scratch your eyeglasses.

There is a brand called "hides" that hold your eyeglasses in place. Maybe the cloth they have for wrapping around your eyeglasses when off your face - maybe that cloth is suitable for wiping your eyeglasses lens.

http://www.hides.com/products/hides-shorties-coming-soon/item/hides-shorties.html

kayak karl
03-08-2015, 22:10
..Cat Crap.. (http://www.amazon.com/EK-10003C-Cat-Crap/dp/B002ZNA488)

Carbo
03-08-2015, 22:26
Glasses will fog when the lens is cooler than the surrounding air if it's humid or if the lens is exposed to your breath, so I suggest warming them up in a pocket. For rain the rim on a baseball hat pulled low is good.

When I scuba dive I keep the face mask from fogging up by rubbing spit on the inside of the face plate. Haven't tried this on glasses while hiking... not yet anyway :-)

Walkintom
03-08-2015, 23:03
Lasik. Seriously, best personal investment I ever made. I went from 'need my glasses to find my glasses' to slightly better than 20/20 and it's been 9 years since the surgery. Slight halo effect from oncoming headlights when driving at night, but other than that annoyance it' been a perfect decision.

Maui Rhino
03-09-2015, 01:13
I use dive mask anti-fog gel on my Rx glasses. It helps, but doesn't totally eliminate the fogging. If you didn't get the Transitions lenses that darken when outside, then be sure to also get Rx sunglasses. I like the Bolle Vigilante sunglasses for their wrap-around protection and interchangeable lenses. I can put in clear, dark gray, or yellow lenses depending on conditions.

Rocket Jones
03-09-2015, 06:00
+1 on the Croakies and Cat Crap mentioned above. Also, I always put my glasses in the same place every night when I go to sleep.

squeezebox
03-09-2015, 07:11
What kind of case do you use for your glasses? The hard case is way too heavy.

kayak karl
03-09-2015, 07:17
What kind of case do you use for your glasses? The hard case is way too heavy. does it weight like a pound?? :) it may be worth the oz. or two to protect something.

KenJohnson
03-09-2015, 07:32
Use the adjustable cord (croakies knockoff) because you can better adjust the length. The benefit will become apparent if you sweat like I do. Use a hard shell glasses case for nighttime. Wash your glasses as needed with clean water and dry them with a clean paper towel. No dirty bandannas. Any grit will scratch the lenses. Been hiking with glasses for years.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Connie
03-09-2015, 08:24
If your tent doesn't have an inside pocket, you might consider a mesh "attic" for the tent.

It is possible to use the ridgeline for a tarp.

I do not put them on the tent floor, or, on the ground.

The backpack shoulder strap accessory pockets are good for eyeglasses, if you are reasonably gently with your gear. I would not put them in a backpack waistbelt accessory pocket: too near the ground.

On or near the ground, any misstep could ruin your eyeglasses.

I do have a plastic hard shell case for my prescription Julbo Sherpa glacier glasses.

Hikes in Rain
03-09-2015, 10:10
What kind of case do you use for your glasses? The hard case is way too heavy.

Dollar Stores have (or had) a nice hard plastic case that weighs about half an ounce and is pretty much crushproof. And of course, it was just a dollar. Mine came in a bright aqua that I can easily see in dim light without my glasses or contacts.

atraildreamer
03-09-2015, 10:13
Get some of those silicone impregnated cleaning cloths for eyeglasses. The silicone will help keep the glasses from fogging up.

Bronk
03-09-2015, 15:33
When I first started wearing glasses I bought a pair that were $300+...I was afraid of losing or breaking them, so I got my prescription from the optometrist (you also need the pupil distance) and went to eyebuydirect dot com and bought a couple of backup pairs for between $7 and $20.

Donde
03-09-2015, 16:03
If you can afford it get some durable like ballastic quality rx sunglasses the breath well like Smith or WileyX or whatever, and get an extra set in a clear lens, then leave your nice glasses at home and only take your tough ones hiking.

illabelle
03-09-2015, 16:57
My husband uses the Cat Crap mentioned above. Seems to work well.
Goofy name for a product!

Nick P
03-09-2015, 18:30
I often felt foolish for hauling an extra pair of RX glasses on my SOBO thru attempt last year, until I crunched my first, best, (transitions) pair. I arrived at a shelter freezing, laid them beside me while I changed into dry clothes, and blindly sat on them. Accidents happen out there. At the next town, I happened upon a eyeglass store, and they fixed them for free...well, it cost me a $5 tip. Sure I could have walked for a couple of days without them, but at the time, the few ounces carried for 1500 miles were absolutely worth it. The way some of us sweat over ounces cracks me up, in hindsight.

NY HIKER 50
03-10-2015, 18:05
..Cat Crap.. (http://www.amazon.com/EK-10003C-Cat-Crap/dp/B002ZNA488)

He's right, it really exists but it's more like a soap. It comes in a small round red container and it is called cat crap. You can use soap and rub it onto the glasses to keep them fog free. Carry a small piece. Also it may not sound sanitary but I swim as well. Most swimmers spit on their goggles and it works for me on my glasses.

MuddyWaters
03-10-2015, 21:07
No tips. I dont have any issues. I never wipe my glasses. I rinse them, and use a drop of soap , then rinse again . Lenses stay like brand new.

rmitchell
03-10-2015, 21:21
I use a hard case which I keep inside my sleeping bag if it is cooler. That usually prevents fogging when I first put them on. Without glasses all I see are shapes. Try to practice exhaling through your nose. Easier said than done on a hard climb but it directs the air down and away. Fogging is seldom a problem for me. Rain is another problem.

efosterw
03-12-2015, 15:13
These are GREAT suggestions! Thanks for the help. I wasn't going to wear them for fear of crushing them, but I'll be on the trail for 12 days and my head/eyes will be killing me. I considered getting a budget backup pair but didn't know where to look.

Grinder
03-12-2015, 16:12
Zenni optical for cheap backups
http://www.zennioptical.com/
I've been using them for years.

Traveler
03-13-2015, 06:54
[QUOTE=efosterw;1953464]Just got prescription glasses (long overdue). What tips do you glasses-wearing hikers have for me? I've noticed they fog while hiking when temps are cool; wearing them down a bit on the bridge of my nose seems to help this./QUOTE]

You didn't say what kind of glasses you had. You can easily destroy plastic lenses by using a cotton bandana that has a bit of trail dust on it for example. Not knowing what you have or what coatings are on them, I would say call the optician you got them from and ask what kind of care you can use. I would avoid cloth to wipe them with and use water to rinse them, a little soap will help keep them from fogging. I have also used the same technique divers use with face masks, a little spit on the lenses can prevent fogging, neither will damage the lenses.

Since my glasses are one of the more valuable and more difficult items to replace that I carry into the woods, I take a hardshell case with me for their protection. The case weighs about 4 oz, but is well worth the weight penalty when you take a fall and discover the case is crushed but the glasses have survived.

efosterw
03-13-2015, 07:35
[QUOTE=efosterw;1953464]Just got prescription glasses (long overdue). What tips do you glasses-wearing hikers have for me? I've noticed they fog while hiking when temps are cool; wearing them down a bit on the bridge of my nose seems to help this./QUOTE]

You didn't say what kind of glasses you had.

Mine are polymer lenses, supposed to be very durable and scratch resistant. I was debating about carrying a hard case; looks like I will. I'll also be buying a cheap pair online at some point to use as my hiking glasses.

squeezebox
03-13-2015, 08:09
The zinnioptical site didn't seem to mention anything about lenses, only frames. So can I get cheap lenses and frames, ie. a functional pair of glasses, from them or somewhere else?

squeezebox
03-13-2015, 08:25
The zinnioptical site didn't seem to mention anything about lenses, only frames. So can I get cheap lenses and frames, ie. a functional pair of glasses, from them or somewhere else?
P.S. I wear trifocals

vamelungeon
03-13-2015, 09:34
I got my last 2 pair of glasses at Zenni Optical, they were inexpensive and are fine. Plus 1 on the Cat Crap, I use it all the time. My vision is so bad that I can't just take my glasses off, I can't get around without them, and I wear them from the time I wake up until I go to bed. Someone said they couldn't find lenses at Zenni, you can enter and save your prescription there as part of your profile if I remember correctly. Lots of options on the lenses.

vamelungeon
03-13-2015, 09:35
P.S. I wear trifocals
I wear bifocals, I got my newest pair at Zenni.

MuddyWaters
03-13-2015, 21:30
[QUOTE=AT Traveler;1954810]

Mine are polymer lenses, supposed to be very durable and scratch resistant. I was debating about carrying a hard case; looks like I will. I'll also be buying a cheap pair online at some point to use as my hiking glasses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk no coating or plastic lens is really scratch resist.

I wear my glasses. No case. Carry disposeable contacts for emergency, 0.2 oz.

Out west i wear sunglasses, my regular glasses for dim light go in a ziplock. Never had any issue damaging glasses. Bring prescription or write down just in vase. Today you can get glasses in 1 hr in many medium size towns. Person at home can fedex spare if need as well.

spidey
03-13-2015, 23:52
I have gotten a few pair of glasses from Zenni they have always been pretty good glasses...

Another Kevin
03-14-2015, 00:02
I usually put my glasses in a boot when I'm sleeping. That way I won't roll over on them. I've been doing it for enough years that I don't ever put a foot in the boot without getting the glasses first. I can't see to tie the laces, anyway.

Lyle
03-14-2015, 09:22
Ball cap or brimmed rain hat for rain/snow.

Old (soft) bandanna for occasional cleaning.

If I'm awake, my glasses are on my face. When I sleep, the glasses go inside my shoe, next to my head. Never damaged or lost a pair in well over 30 years.

Odd Man Out
03-14-2015, 09:36
No tips. I dont have any issues. I never wipe my glasses. I rinse them, and use a drop of soap , then rinse again . Lenses stay like brand new.
I didn't wear glasses until I was in my forties. My mother taught me this. Works great.

Odd Man Out
03-14-2015, 09:40
I usually put my glasses in a boot when I'm sleeping. That way I won't roll over on them. I've been doing it for enough years that I don't ever put a foot in the boot without getting the glasses first. I can't see to tie the laces, anyway.

Everything from my pockets and my glasses go into my hat when I sleep.

Offshore
03-14-2015, 10:07
Get some of those silicone impregnated cleaning cloths for eyeglasses. The silicone will help keep the glasses from fogging up.

Silicone can destroy lens coatings, making the glasses useless. Before risking this, verify with the optician who sold you your glasses that the lenses do not have coatings for scratch resistance, anti-reflection, etc.

Fredt4
03-22-2015, 13:49
I use contacts as glasses always either break or get lost.

Hikes in Rain
03-22-2015, 16:14
I use contacts as well. Always carry a spare pair and my glasses. Where my vision is concerned, I believe in multiple redundancy. If I lost both glasses and contacts, I'd never find my way out of the woods.

BirdBrain
03-22-2015, 16:23
For those that are just using reading glasses, these work great. I keep them in my JimmyJam cuben fiber wallet.

http://www.i4ulenses.com/

Hikes in Rain
03-22-2015, 16:38
Oh my gosh, they're pince-nez! That's awesome!

pkinnetz
04-08-2015, 17:55
I wore my glasses constantly except in heavy rains so never needed glasses cases. In those few thunderstorms, I wrapped them up in my bandanna, and stored them in my personal bag (which contained my "office," map, & money-- the essentials that I absolutely had to keep track of.) I stored my glasses in the shelter at night by my sleeping bag in my shoe (with my headlamp, & knife. In my tent, they are in the pocket. Religiously stored.

perdidochas
04-09-2015, 11:25
1. Clean, DRY bandana for wiping them every now and then.
2. Baseball type hat for keeping MOST of the rain off.
3. Take them off in heavy rain - have a SAFE place to keep them until it eases off.
4. My tent has a small pocket by the door - RELIGIOUSLY put them into the pocket at night.
Great advice. I also clean mine with spit every morning. Seems to give them a little fogging resistance.

perdidochas
04-09-2015, 11:28
Use the adjustable cord (croakies knockoff) because you can better adjust the length. The benefit will become apparent if you sweat like I do. Use a hard shell glasses case for nighttime. Wash your glasses as needed with clean water and dry them with a clean paper towel. No dirty bandannas. Any grit will scratch the lenses. Been hiking with glasses for years.

Paper towels also scratch--remember paper is basically wood fibers. I gave up using paper towels to clean my glasses at home years ago. My lenses get less scartched now.

perdidochas
04-09-2015, 11:31
P.S. I wear trifocals

The zennioptical site does mention lenses.

Another cheap site is eyebuydirect.com

atraildreamer
04-10-2015, 17:48

A dollar store plastic hard case is very lightweight and does an excellent job of protecting your eye wear. Are you going to risk breaking your eyeglasses just to save 1/2 ounce?

Before cleaning your glasses, rinse off any dust & dirt before using a clean cotton cloth on them. This will prevent you from gouging the lenses with sand, etc.

A cotton cloth is best for cleaning the lenses. Synthetic cloth, where the fibers are harder than the plastic in modern eyeglass lenses, can also cause scratches.

squeezebox
04-10-2015, 19:24
I still can't decide hard or soft case.

Hikes in Rain
04-10-2015, 20:03
You're hiking, cramming everything into a pack. Hard case!!

permagrin
04-10-2015, 20:50
CAT CRAP!! I never thought I'd find another person who knew what I was talking about. This stuff trumps everything else I've tried to keep my glasses from fogging. And No, I'm not talking about the house cat sort of poop-that is just...well...wierd. Cat Crap was widely used in the 80's when I was skiing in the Alps. Everyone who wore glasses knew the cat crap trick. Jus' git you some!

permagrin
04-10-2015, 20:52
Oh...and if you don't have any cat crap on hand, just squint a lot, looking thru the haze and fog when you walk in the rain. I swear I've seen my share of big foots with this method......

Deacon
04-11-2015, 12:36
I still can't decide hard or soft case.

I wear bifocals, but don't need to wear them while hiking. I keep in my left shoulder pouch with my phone. I just use some bubble wrap (4 grams), and have never broken or damaged my glasses.
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/04/11/4bfb30affaa23d9e6c79f0c89e8910f2.jpg

Rolex
04-12-2015, 08:07
For those that are just using reading glasses, these work great. I keep them in my JimmyJam cuben fiber wallet.

http://www.i4ulenses.com/

Thanks for the link. I just ordered four sets!

Rolex
04-12-2015, 08:20
Thanks for the link. I just ordered four sets!

Oh yeah I forgot. Here's a survival tip in case you lose your glasses.

http://www.paddling.net/guidelines/showArticle.html?269

BirdBrain
04-12-2015, 08:40
Oh yeah I forgot. Here's a survival tip in case you lose your glasses.

http://www.paddling.net/guidelines/showArticle.html?269

Here is one that I use.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OydqR_7_DjI

I do this if I need to check one small bit of information during the day. I only use my i4ulenses when I am in camp.

I have tried to show this trick to people over the years. Most think I am trying to trick them.

Rocket Jones
04-12-2015, 11:51
+1 on BB's trick. I do that at night to see across the room to check the time.