PDA

View Full Version : Parking at Springer

Zip
11-03-2005, 21:33
Hello, I did my first hike on the AT this year. Went from NOC to Fontana and really loved it. I'm thinking about doing a section hike, starting at the trail head and am wanting to know if there is parking accomadations there. Would want to leave the car a couple days. Thanks Rick

Almost There
11-03-2005, 23:35
Rick,

Park at the USFS 42 lot. .9 miles from the Springer summit, people leave their cars there all the time, should be totally safe, I've left mine there before. Used to be a pay lot, but has been free for a couple of years now. Just google for directions, best way is to go up 75 to 575 and take it north to Ellijay area. From there it's about 30 minutes to the lot on back roads. It's a decent service road. Good luck and have fun!!!

Burn
11-03-2005, 23:49
you can also park for 2 or 3 bucks at the ranger station of amicalola falls but you get to hike the approach trail...or the hiker hostel near dalonaga handles shuttles, profile and almanac are former thruhikers who have already made a name for themselves helping out GA hikers. i bet they'll help ya out with info, parking, and shuttles to or from yer car. someone will post their number if ya ask...i don't have my books or i would put it down.

David Guffey
11-04-2005, 00:54
Hey Rick! I think any of these ideas will work. I will see you at work Monday.
David Guffey

bigmac_in
11-04-2005, 08:54
A friend and I parked at USFS42 this past weekend. Slept overnight in the parking lot Friday night and took off for Springer Mt. in the morning, then north. It worked out alright for us. The folks at Hiker Hostel can help for sure. They gave us a shuttle back to the FS42 parking lot, but offer many more services. Here is their number - (770)312-7342.

Or check out the website - www.hikerhostel.com (http://www.hikerhostel.com)

Zip
11-04-2005, 23:19
Thanks for the info. It sounds like I won't have a problem near Springer. What do ya'll think about hiking that section of trail in February?

Burn
11-04-2005, 23:36
zip you should be fine...but there could be a small chance of ice storms in feb. ...i personally would be sure to keep a spare lighter in a ziplock bag. yer cellphone may not work on the GA AT, so don't depend on it as a safety device. i just noticed yer in Alabama, so you'll understand pretty much what happens in winter down south. keep an eye on the weather and contact the hiker hostel or mt crossings as the days approach. i still think you can get the weather channel to tell you springer mt weather focasts on the web.

i've hike it in november in the 70's and march in the 50's. probably night temps of 40's and 20's respectively..but we did get dustings of snow right out of GA and seems the folks who got the bad snow where actually hit late march early april.

Zip
11-09-2005, 21:19
Hey Burn, Thanks for the info. It all sounds well founded. I appreciate all of your help. Thanks, Rick

scothiker
11-28-2005, 12:00
I did my first hike to Springer this weekend from USFS42 parking lot, then north a bit and back. USFS42 was OK, although for my first time the (potential) steep drop down made me a little nervous - but it seemed like it could get really hairy in the rain or ice/snow. What has been your experience?

Dances with Mice
11-28-2005, 12:32
I did my first hike to Springer this weekend from USFS42 parking lot, then north a bit and back. USFS42 was OK, although for my first time the (potential) steep drop down made me a little nervous - but it seemed like it could get really hairy in the rain or ice/snow. What has been your experience?42's gravel, ice and snow won't bother the roadbed traction much but can cause blowdowns. Lots of rain will turn it mucky in parts, but passible. My hairiest trips on that road have been due to either heavy fog or running into a big convoy of Army trucks from the Ranger base.

scothiker
11-28-2005, 13:54
Thanks, Dances. We had to dodge a bunch of hunters going both up and down, but at least they weren't in Army trucks...