PDA

View Full Version : Looking to find a weekend trip

Chitrod
03-09-2015, 00:41
Some friends and I would like to do a weekend hike & camping trip to get out off our lazy butts and have a little adventure and enjoy nature. We aren't in the best shape but this is part of our goal to regain some of that fit and trim high school football and Eagle Scout that is buried under sedentary lives of college, kids and jobs. Experience levels aren't very high. I hiked sections of the Pinhoti and AT over 15 years ago as a Boy Scout but nothing since. Where do you recommend we start and finish?

Matt65
03-09-2015, 20:41
There are many options that come to mind.

How many total miles are you looking to hike? Just a guess based on what you have said maybe not do more than 8-10 miles/day. Interested in a loop hike, out and back, or one way to another vehicle?

Chitrod
03-09-2015, 21:49
Max 8-10 miles a day sounds good. Would like to maybe head out late Friday evening and camp close to the trailhead and again on Saturday or leave out Saturday and camp only Saturday night and back home Sunday either way. Loop or hiking one vehicle to another world be fine.

gubbool
03-11-2015, 15:52
I don't see from where you hail. I have an on-line map at lifeat2mph.com/pinhoti that might if you are looking to do some of Pinhoti.

If in the Birmingham Al area, then of course I suggest Oak Mountain State Park. OMSP 10,000 acres, has many trails, some long, most can be made into loops, it has both a campground and several back-country sites. A weekend there can be as remote as you want it be while keeping your initial venture into the wild safe and quite manageable.

Walkintom
03-11-2015, 17:25
If it's not too far away from you, I have fond memories of FDR State park in Western GA. The wife and I did a 28 mile loop a few years ago, right after all the tornado damage. Had to climb trees to navigate some of the trails but I'm sure all of that has long since been cleared.

http://www.gastateparks.org/FDRoosevelt

Chitrod
03-11-2015, 22:15
I'm in north Alabama between Huntsville and Chattanooga about 30 minutes from the Walls of Jericho.

gubbool
03-13-2015, 00:08
Then the Walls of Jericho is an excellent choice.

Chitrod
03-15-2015, 20:26
Then the Walls of Jericho is an excellent choice.

I've always considered Walls of Jericho more of a day hike. I'm also looking for places that I don't know

shelb
03-16-2015, 23:22
Go do Shenandoah National Park (SNP).... You can hike, camp, resupply on the trail, and even have a beer or two (in fact, beer is cheaper than water or pop in the concessions!).

Seriously, we hiked the length of the park (110 miles? in 10 days.... first time backpacking for my 43 year old friend and her son...) They loved the occasional treats every 3 days... cheeseburger at Big Meadow, Breakfast at Skyland, and Blackberry Shake at Elk Wallow. Plus, you could bring 4-5 days food, replenishing as you go.. since you hit a Wayside (concession) every few days.

slightly_misinformed
03-29-2015, 02:48
http://www.pinhotitrailalliance.org/pin-chin-sky-loop..html

This is one of my favorite overnight trips in N. Alabama and I've done countless times. I usually start at Adam's Gap going counter-clockwise and camp at Cheaha Falls.

schlanky
04-10-2015, 17:40
Given where you're located, have you looked much in Tennessee?

Savage Gulf ranges from really easy to really hard:

http://www.friendsofscsra.org/savage-gulf-trail-map.pdf

HooKooDooKu
04-10-2015, 21:51
Try looking into the Sipsey wilderness (http://www.sipseywilderness.org/). It’s not far away with severalopportunities for short overnight hikes.

Since you say your out of shape I would recommend limiting trips to 5 or 6 miles. Just about anyone who can walk can manage that distance. If the worst person slows down they might get as slow as questions 1mpb. If you limit your distance to 5 or 6 miles, even a slow poke won't slow you down that you get done after dark.

I personally like hike a in the Smokies. They are only about 4 to 5 hours away. I can offer lots of short hike suggestions if you're willing to travel that far (I do so many times from the Birmingham area).

seminoles
04-14-2015, 14:47
When doing the Pinhoti / Chinnabee / Skyway Loop, where is the best "safe" place to leave your car?
I see Adams Gap trailhead and what about parking at Chinnabee somewhere?

schlanky
04-14-2015, 16:54
When doing the Pinhoti / Chinnabee / Skyway Loop, where is the best "safe" place to leave your car?
I see Adams Gap trailhead and what about parking at Chinnabee somewhere?

There is a lot on Hwy 281 very near Turnipseed Camp (Chinnabee Silent crosses 281 at this lot). I would park there or Adams Gap. Overnight parking isn't allowed at Chinnabee because of past break-ins. I've parked at Adams Gap and the 281 lot numerous times with no problems & feel about the same degree of safety at either one. At trailheads, I leave my car completely clean---not even empty candy wrappers on the floorboard.

ccsj12
04-22-2015, 12:34
It is safe to leave your car at Adams Gap as well as the Cheaha Arch Trailhead. If you happen to need a shuttle for any of those locations just let us know www.coosahikerhostel.weebly.com (http://www.coosahikerhostel.weebly.com)

seminoles
04-23-2015, 09:23
I second slightly misinformed's recommendation! My son and I just finished this loop. Great views! Lots of water and campsites. The first 8 miles were a bit of a challenge and the last 8 were moderate. We will do it again in the fall.