PDA

View Full Version : Reservation Logistics

nuknees
03-09-2015, 09:18
I've always wanted to hike the AT, but life got in the way. Recently, I have an opportunity to do just that! Timing I think is only going to allow possibly a half way excursion.
As I'm not 100% sure of a time line (circumstances beyond my control), have others had difficulties with making reservations for SoBo departures? Guide books make it sound like all 'reasonably near' available sites will be booked months in advanced.
Can I make a mail drop type of reservation.....Hold For Hiker : Est Time of Arrival July 1st - 14 th? ;)

peakbagger
03-09-2015, 09:43
It would help if you filled in a few details like where do you plan to start SOBO since you are only doing half the trail?.

Assuming Baxter State Park, you have to make reservations for a specific date at preferably Katahdin Stream, . If you are truly unable to pick a date, you can make arrangements to stay in Millinocket at the hiker hostel and get a shuttle into the park in the AM and then hike out of the park that night and staying at Abol bridge making for a long first day. The hiker hostel can also do shuttles from the airport and other locations. Your start dates of early July is the start of the busy tourist season in the area so reservations will most likely be needed. Generally during the week you can usually reserve a spot last minute by grabbing some of the unused last minute spots saved for Maine residents but no guarantees. Forget the long fourth of July weekend, KSC is going to be full.

Keep an eye out for changes at Baxter with respect to thruhikers, given the recent dialogues between BSP and ATC, I would not be surprised if things change this year on how thruhikers interface with the paek.

Slo-go'en
03-09-2015, 12:20
Another option which I'm surprised more SOBO hikes don't do is start at Monson and hike the HMW NOBO. Then you qualify as a thru hiker and can use the thru hiker campsite in the park. Then get a shuttle back to Monson. The only problem is it adds to the cost since the shuttle back to Monson isn't cheap.

nuknees
03-09-2015, 12:33
"It would help if you filled in a few details like where do you plan to start SOBO since you are only doing half the trail?."

Was hoping to start at the northern terminus...

ny breakfast
03-12-2015, 08:12
Another option which I'm surprised more SOBO hikes don't do is start at Monson and hike the HMW NOBO. Then you qualify as a thru hiker and can use the thru hiker campsite in the park. Then get a shuttle back to Monson. The only problem is it adds to the cost since the shuttle back to Monson isn't cheap.

this is a great way to go. i did exactly that in the middle of July last year. i was convinced to slow down by a few great section hikers that were keeping about the same pace. warned about the hiker bubble just behind me. that would have been my summit day. opted to slow down for better weather quieter camp and split costs at abol and even a free shuttle back

peakbagger
03-12-2015, 08:31
One down side to the Monson option is that going NOBO out of Monson with a full pack is a rough introduction to the trail. Most folks dayhike Katahdin with daypack borrowed at the ranger station and then the walk south out of the park with a full pack is fairly easy for a few days before running into White Cap.

nuknees
03-12-2015, 08:54
I guess I'm just surprised at the lack of 'vicinity accomidations'...vicinity being defined as within a mile or two. I realize the northern terminus is generally thought of as the ending point for most hikers but as it is also a beginning point I would think there would be more availble shelter/tent space near KSC. Seems like there are only 16 availble spaces to be reserved...which seems very sparse to me when you consider that you will be competing with the section hikers also wanting to do this section. And the next closest accomidations is Abol...which I don't consider to be close - 15 miles away is an average days milage for me. So I get to KSC after leaving Abol of course too late to summit and not have a place to stay at KSC because its been booked up solid! Like most folks I'm on a limited budget...I don't have a fortune to be spending on shuttles.
If I'm lucky enough to get a reservation at one of these places, and because of my circumstances, I find I have to postpone for another week or two...anyone know what the cancelation policy is at KSC/Abol?