PDA

View Full Version : Kids on AT

SFC Gator
03-09-2015, 10:50
In mid May I plan to hike from Bly Gap to Amicalola Falls with my 2 son-in-laws for a one week 90 mile trip. I would like to have my grandchildren, ages 6, 8, 10 join us for a night at Whitley Gap Shelter and hike with us to Neels Gap. Does anyone know of any reason the kids could not join us for that 6 mile leg of the trip?
Thanks
SFC Gator

Slo-go'en
03-09-2015, 12:09
Unless they have medical issues, no reason they can't walk 6 miles.

Odd Man Out
03-09-2015, 12:38
My father took me on a weekend backpacking trip in MD when I was in that age range. Spent a couple nights at a shelter. Started me on a life-long hobby. Will you have a tent? What would you do if you got to the shelter and it was full?

Christoph
03-09-2015, 12:41
I took my daughter on a 9.5 mile trip when she was around that age. She did surprisingly well. Although we ended up carrying all of her stuff and her a few times, overall it was a good experience for her and she had fun.

slbirdnerd
03-09-2015, 12:54
Don't miss the fact Whitley Gap shelter is a couple miles off the AT. Remember to make it all about the kids and them having fun. Have a great hike!

SFC Gator
03-09-2015, 15:45
You are absolutely correct, this segment of the trip is all about my grandkids. They love camping with G-Daddy but this is the first time I have taken them to the mountains for hiking. (They live in Florida) We won't actually stay at Whitley Gap Shelter but my 2 sons-in-laws and I plan to have our camp site set up somewhere near Tesnatee Gap parking (we are hiking from Bly Gap at NC line) where we will meet my daughters and grandkids that afternoon who will have their camping gear (and fresh food and bottled water) where we will all camp for the evening. The next morning we will put all their gear back into the van so the kids only need to carry their Camelbak for the trip to Neels Gap. I wish I had it that easy! My daughters will meet us later in the day at Neels gap to retrieve the kids and the 3 male adults will continue to our scheduled overnight stay at Blood Mountain. We all plan to meet again at Amicalola Falls to camp one last night together before they head back to Florida and I head back home to Alabama. I think I covered that leg of the trip pretty well. I am open to any suggestions and even constructive criticism!