PDA

View Full Version : Trail conditions/weather last week in March

DandT40
03-09-2015, 13:08
With conditions in the 50s the next week or so (at least at the lower elevations) does anyone know what trail conditions are like in the park? Looking for somewhere to do anywhere between 1-3 nights in Shenandoah the last week in March. We've been to the smokies in March before so we're used to the conditions and know to expect anything from the 20's to the 60's, but just wondering what conditions are currently like out on the trails (feet of snow still at higher elevations?). Also, is it safe to assume that none of the front country campgrounds will be open? I see online that they are not scheduled to open until the 27th the earliest. Any non NPS campsites in the area that would be open that people recommend?

If anyone has any suggestions for a loop in the area too feel free. We would be doing 8-15 miles a day and again looking for something between 1-3 days.

Coffee
03-09-2015, 13:13
I'm closely following trail conditions in SNP as well. Looking to possibly do the North District sometime later this month. I would prepare for low overnight temperatures anytime in March. Probably the coldest night I've ever spent camping was in SNP around the third week of March two years ago.

There are endless possibilities for loop hikes incorporating the AT. The park publishes a number of suggested trip plans: http://www.nps.gov/shen/planyourvisit/campbc_trip_plans.htm Some of my favorite areas include the Rose River, Jeremy's Run, Whiteoak Canyon/Cedar Run, and the Old Rag area.

DandT40
03-09-2015, 14:12
Cool. Maybe we'll see you out there! Yeah I've been digging through all the maps on the site and have the Top Trails book for the park. We're leaning towards the Old Rag area, but just don't know if there are feet of snow on the trials right now or just a few inches that might melt off if the weather holds how its looking right now. I'm sure the stream crossings are all going to be high at the time so have to try to avoid the nasty ones as well!

Coffee
03-09-2015, 14:43
With highs near 60, the snow is rapidly melting off near sea level in the DC area so I suspect that at least south facing areas will quickly melt off in the mountains, maybe accelerated by the predicted rain later this week.