PDA

View Full Version : Trekking pole tip repair

heh
11-03-2005, 23:19
I lost a tip off a Leki trekking pole. I have purchase a replacement but there are no instructions. Any help?

Alligator
11-03-2005, 23:21
Just pull the old one off with pliers or something similar and tap the new one in.

heh
11-03-2005, 23:27
Do I need to use any glue? If so what kind? Thanks, heh

jlb2012
11-04-2005, 00:13
I lost a tip off a Leki trekking pole. I have purchase a replacement but there are no instructions. Any help?

assuming the pole itself is not damaged just take the new tip and slide it onto the pole and then jam the pole plus tip into a piece of scrap wood half a dozen times - no glue needed

the only time I use glue is to get those rubber tips used for hard surfaces to stay on - I usually use Superglue for that purpose but I don't use glue for the ordinary tips

btw to get an old tip off take an adjustable wrench set to just slide along the lower pole section and just whack the tip off by quickly sliding the wrench down to the tip - works best with a heavy wrench

Miles
11-04-2005, 00:24
I have Masters poles. So, *your procedures may be different*. When I replaced my pole tips, I first called www.trekkingpoles.com (800-890-9237, [email protected]) to receive instructions. Instead, you may elect to contact [email protected]. I would contact either of these companies before you do anything. For my particular set of poles, I did the following:

1.0) Taking off the old pole tips.
1.1) Take a marker and mark around the top of the old tip. You'll need this marking guide for the steps listed below in 2.0.
1.2) Heat the pole tips while the tips are still on. Your goal is to merely melt the glue. So, you don't have to heat the tips too much.
1.3) While the pole tips are still heated, pull off the tips with pliers.
1.4) After you take off the old tips, clean the exposed pole. Be careful. The pole tips may be a little warm.

2.0) Putting on the new tips
2.1) Heat the exposed pole tip.
2.2) Apply "arrow tip" glue to the area where the new tips will be placed (i.e. below the mark you placed in step 1.1). You can purchase arrow tip glue in hunting stores.
2.3) With the glue still wet and slick, slide the new tip on to the pole up to the point you marked in 1.1.
2.4) Wait for the glue to dry.

3) Go hiking.

I hope this helps,

Miles

jlb2012
11-04-2005, 07:29
I have Masters poles. So, *your procedures may be different*.

The procedure I outlined above was what I was told to do by the guys at Rockfish Gap Outfitters specifically for Leki poles when I got a replacement segment for a pole I broke. The specific pole that I used the procedure on is the Leki Makalu from about 5 years ago.

JojoSmiley
11-04-2005, 13:34
When I lost part of a tip I heated the tip of the pole in boiling water for a couple minutes and it came right off. Then just tap the new one on. Pretty easy.