PDA

View Full Version : Clothing options for cold,wet, rainy weather?

JumpMaster Blaster
03-09-2015, 21:08
Soooo,

According to the National Weather Service, NOAA, the Weather Channel, AND Weather Underground, the entire length of the AT is going to experience some sort of rain/snow event between tomorrow & Sunday. I've done summer hikes during 24 hours of rain, and a winter hike in cold dry conditions, but never when the weather was forecast to be between 30-40 degrees with rain.

My clothing as it stands is this (I added weights just for reference):

WEAR:
Rain Pants (Gander Mountain brand- never hiked in them) (14 oz)
Under Armour midweight cold gear top (14 oz)
some sort of moisture wicking t-shirt underneath (6 oz)
Koppen rain jacket (16 oz) **Soon to be replaced with an Outdoor Research Helium II this week** (7 oz)
RAB Gaiters (2.5 oz)
Merrell Moab waterproof shoes (38 oz)

SPARE:
REI Revelcloud Primaloft jacket (16 oz) (comparable to TNF Thermoball, very warm & is wind resistant)
Kuhl Liberator pants (17 oz) (cotton blend but very warm & dry fast)
Polartec silkweight baselayer top & bottom (12 oz total) (sleeping)
Smartwool socks for sleeping (2.5 oz)
Fleece cap (2 oz)
gloves (2.7, 4.7, or 7.5 oz Goretex mitts w/ liners)

Am I off my mark as far as clothing is concerned or do I have everything covered? I'm assuming if everything goes to pot & I get soaked by rain or sweat I have the jacket & pants to change into and the silkweights to sleep in.

Constructive critques welcomed.

shelterbuilder
03-09-2015, 21:36
I would stay away from the cotton blend pants - no matter how fast you think they can dry, they won't...and they won't be very warm if they get wet. I am a big fan of 100% wool, which is still somewhat warm even when it gets wet. (Yeah, I know - it's "old school" - but I just feel warmer in it.) If you decide to go this route, try looking in a Goodwill or Salvation Army shop - you have to really look sometimes, but I've found some really nice (hardly used) wool dress pants that are lightweight and warm, as well as some great Woolrich wool sweaters FOR NEXT TO NOTHING! Otherwise, the list looks good to me.

JumpMaster Blaster
03-09-2015, 22:38
I would stay away from the cotton blend pants - no matter how fast you think they can dry, they won't...and they won't be very warm if they get wet. I am a big fan of 100% wool, which is still somewhat warm even when it gets wet. (Yeah, I know - it's "old school" - but I just feel warmer in it.) If you decide to go this route, try looking in a Goodwill or Salvation Army shop - you have to really look sometimes, but I've found some really nice (hardly used) wool dress pants that are lightweight and warm, as well as some great Woolrich wool sweaters FOR NEXT TO NOTHING! Otherwise, the list looks good to me.

I can just see myself traipsing around in wool dress pants! Maybe I can find some cool pinstripes...lol. About the Kuhls- I only plan on wearing them once I'm hunkered down (but not yet going to sleep) and the last day of the hike when the sun is supposed to come out. They are 77% Nylon 23% cotton. Otherwise, it's the rain pants while hiking and then baselayer. Thanks for the input, definitely going to look into merino baselayers next.

Slo-go'en
03-09-2015, 23:08
I hike in Dickie work pants a lot which are 75 polyester/25 cotton and they dry reasonably quickly by body heat. Over all I find them warmer and more wind proof then common nylon hiking pants.

As long as you keep moving at a reasonable pace you'll stay warm enough. You don't need to wear much. But when you stop, you better have something warm and dry to change into!

garlic08
03-10-2015, 00:02
Looks like a good list to me.

But an inexperienced hiker with three times as much clothing could be in trouble by day two. Do you have the experience to keep hiking in your wet base layer, keep it from freezing overnight, then put it back on wet the next morning? You also need to keep yourself fed and hydrated in the freezing rain and snow, and that means keeping your hands warm and nimble enough to open bottles and food bags. It's tempting to dry some wet clothing in the sleeping bag, but will your bag be compromised by the third or fourth day? A lot of it has nothing to do with the clothing one packs.

PD230SOI
03-10-2015, 06:43
Jump master Blaster,

i have to second the comment about light wool and where to find it. I'm so old school when I put on my wool overalls to go for an afternoon hunt my wife burst out laughing. But I was warm and happy.

i assume by the combination of your name plus location you may have some experience in the great outdoors, however the comments about keeping the sleeping clothes dry and sleeping bag dry are worth repeating.

no matter how much it might seem like a good idea never on purpose introduce something wet into your bag. Whenever I read about drying clothes in your sleeping bag I shudder. It might be ok in some parts of the
country but not worth the risk to me. Change out the pants, find a waterproof hat to go over that fleece, and have fun.

Studlintsean
03-10-2015, 08:16
I accept the fact that I will be damp either from the rain or sweat so my goal is to stay warm but not overly warm. Here is what I wear:

I Add/ remove items to regulate temperature and as it rains on and off.
Wicking SS shirt
Thin wool base layer (Costco Paradox 1/4 zip)
Marmot Precip Rain Jacket
Light weight base layer pants
Running shorts
Rain pants accessible but I rarely put them on
Fleece gloves (with shells if needed)
Wool beanie
Socks and Trail Runners

When I get to camp I do my camp chores in these clothes (Water, Tent, Wood (if building a fire)

Then I put on:
Synthtic Top (Cap 3 or 4)
Mid Weight or Heavy weight Bottoms
Dry Expedition Weight Socks
Down Jacket (MB Ex Lite or Apline Light Parka)
Smart wool beannie
Rain Pants/ Jacket if needed.

As as mentioned above, I keep my Sleeping bag and camp clothes in a trash bag to keep dry at all costs. In the AM I put my wet clothes back on. They are wet and cold the first 15 min but my body generates so much heat they are dry or warm quickly. I rarely put wet clothes in my sleeping bag but sometimes put them under my sleeping pad which seems to help a little bit.

garlic08
03-10-2015, 09:54
...I rarely put wet clothes in my sleeping bag but sometimes put them under my sleeping pad which seems to help a little bit.

This is an excellent tip. I notice sometimes when I lay down on damp ground, the patch under my pad is dry the next morning. I figure why not use that phenomenon to dry clothing? It actually works sometimes, and at a minimum keeps things from freezing. It could make a difference for that first 15 minutes.

The most I'll try to dry in the sleeping bag are glove liners, a hat, and maybe socks if they aren't filthy. And only if the RH is low enough to guarantee the bag doesn't get damp. To me, warm hands starting out are worth it. If it's foggy (100% RH), all bets are off--nothing wet goes near the bag.

JumpMaster Blaster
03-11-2015, 17:28
Thanks for all the input. Yes, I am used to spending some time out in the woods. My SB is down, so absolutely NOTHING damp goes in there. If it's bad enough I'll just hole up in a shelter (shudder).

Hangfire
03-11-2015, 20:25
I wore the cheap frog toggs which worked great for keeping the rain off me but didn't keep me from getting damp. After months of hiking I came to the conclusion that I would rather get damp from sweat than get soaked to the bone by the rain. When you get to camp and if it's cold get out of that wet stuff asap and put some dry stuff on(I had a small camp towel that I would wipe off with). One plus with the frog toggs is they work as great wind breakers, and just as they make you heat up when hiking they also hold heat in at camp, so I would put them back on over my dry change. Once comfy in camp you can rotate your wet cloths (once they aren't sopping wet) back onto your body (depending on conditions). Your warm body will dry out synthetics and smart wool faster than you can imagine, you just have to be sure not to get chilled, I usually did this if there was a camp fire and of course when the rain has stopped.

Praha4
03-11-2015, 21:55
my experience is no "waterproof" or Goretex shoes stay dry on the trail when it rains for days and the trail is wet and muddy. Given that, you're smart to use merino wool hiking socks. You're also wise to take the REI synthetic insulated jacket. Just make sure you have a set of dry clothes for camp and sleeping,have a good waterproof stuff sack. All your hiking clothes will be wet at end of the day. Rain and 30s-40s temps = hypothermia conditions

have fun

JumpMaster Blaster
03-12-2015, 01:44
my experience is no "waterproof" or Goretex shoes stay dry on the trail when it rains for days and the trail is wet and muddy. Given that, you're smart to use merino wool hiking socks. You're also wise to take the REI synthetic insulated jacket. Just make sure you have a set of dry clothes for camp and sleeping,have a good waterproof stuff sack. All your hiking clothes will be wet at end of the day. Rain and 30s-40s temps = hypothermia conditions

have fun

Yup, my Merrells stayed dry during the first 8 hours of rain enroute to Roan, but eventually succumbed to the wet. They didn't dry out until I was heading down Hump Mtn to 19E.

Worst thing was putting on a wet pair of socks, then sliding your feet into a wet pair of shoes *shudder*. I'd walk everything relatively dry, only to get rained on again. And again.

The upside? I saw Roan and Round, Jane, and Grassy Balds, and that made up for it!

squeezebox
03-12-2015, 02:37
With that kind of hypothermia risk you might bring someone with you.

futureatwalker
03-12-2015, 04:43
Soooo,

According to the National Weather Service, NOAA, the Weather Channel, AND Weather Underground, the entire length of the AT is going to experience some sort of rain/snow event between tomorrow & Sunday. I've done summer hikes during 24 hours of rain, and a winter hike in cold dry conditions, but never when the weather was forecast to be between 30-40 degrees with rain.

One word: umbrella.

With an umbrella, you won't stay completely dry, but having a dry head and a somewhat dry torso makes a world of difference.

I've carried my Golite (now, sadly out of business I think) umbrella on a section hike of the AT, and on many rainy hikes here in Scotland. And trust me, it can rain here. A slightly strong umbrella is best - don't go for the ultracheap telescopic things.

Of course there are limits: if it's really windy up top, the umbrella isn't going to work.

I wish you the best.