PDA

View Full Version : mikro spikes and hostels

Kiteman
03-09-2015, 21:18
I passed the smokies. Shuold I keep my micro spikes with me or send them home?
About hostels: I arrive alone to a hostel and want to share a room with other hiker. There are more hikers but don't know witch room to ask them. Is there a way to team up and find each other?

Thanks Stretch

Walkintom
03-09-2015, 21:39
We never needed our microspikes after the Smokies but you're running a couple of weeks earlier than we were.

I'd probably send them home.

Mention your desire to split hotel rooms with lots of folks if you want to find people who'll share the cost. It's just like finding lost dog in that the more people who know about your need the greater chance you'll get it met.

Kiteman
03-10-2015, 02:24
We never needed our microspikes after the Smokies but you're running a couple of weeks earlier than we were.

I'd probably send them home.

Mention your desire to split hotel rooms with lots of folks if you want to find people who'll share the cost. It's just like finding lost dog in that the more people who know about your need the greater chance you'll get it met.

Thanks and I'll keep that in mind.
Sleeping tonight at Standing Bear Hostel.

good night

Stretch ☺

Tennessee Viking
03-10-2015, 07:56
You are passed the worst of the ICE. There is always 1-2 possible snowfalls in March/April.

CalebJ
03-10-2015, 09:17
It's always possible, but at least in VA the forecast looks good for the next 10 days. By the end of that, snow and ice become pretty unlikely. I made it through Mt. Rogers last week which had significant ice on Friday without spikes. They would have been helpful, but not essential. You're unlikely to encounter anything close to that bad from this point forward. I'd dump them.