PDA

View Full Version : Beauty of the Trail Northward from Harpers Ferry Vs Southward

Ladyofthewoods
03-10-2015, 13:22
I'm from the south and hiked on the AT as far as Mount Rogers and Grayson Highlands. Of course, it is beautiful in many sections from there and on back in to the Smokies. However, I'm wondering about the views..or generally the trail beauty.. north of Harpers Ferry in to MD/PA/NJ/NY/CT/VT. Thanks!

Slo-go'en
03-10-2015, 14:49
The section you refer to is the "Green tunnel". Only limited and occasional views and none too exciting either. This is also the most "suburban" section of trail. Your never far from a road, a highway, an interstate, a town or houses. But it's not all bad, there are some nice sections. The first 100 miles of PA is pleasant and the first 30 miles of NJ is nice, NY north of the Hudson river is a very nice walk in the woods, along with the first part of CT. But there is a lot of druggy in between. At least it's pretty easy walking. Just look out for Poison Ivy and the chiggers can be a problem if you wear shorts.

I swore I'd never hike PA a third time, (once was too many) but I just might do that again in a couple of months from now.

Slo-go'en
03-10-2015, 14:55
Ops I meant "drudgery" not "druggy" but it can help to be druggy to deal with the drudgery :)

Ladyofthewoods
03-10-2015, 15:53
Ha! Drudgery probably can be helped by the druggy. :-) Thanks.